Upon Further Review - Ole Miss Postgame

StatTiger

We have a young TE in Harris that was under the tutelage of Lutzy if I'm not mistaken. We just haven't used him.

BTW, what was the deal with Myron Burton? Will he ever make it back or is his departure a permanent thing?

He left the team. I think it's permanent if my memory serves me correctly.

We have a young TE in Harris that was under the tutelage of Lutzy if I'm not mistaken. We just haven't used him.

BTW, what was the deal with Myron Burton? Will he ever make it back or is his departure a permanent thing?

He left the team. I think it's permanent if my memory serves me correctly.

I thought he left for personal reasons, and had the door open for a return sometime. Wasn't sure. Thanks.

Correct on Harris. His TE coach at St James in Montgomery was Phillip. Easy to see why he chose AU. He had the car wreck "scare" no too long ago. Haven't heard much about him since.

If we had a big strong TE (a Lutz) with great hands, I think our red zone offense would improve about 100%. Gus has not been able to get one for whatever reason. I think they are probably told by our competition that he never uses them much except inside the ten yard line. Maybe they all saw better opportunities elsewhere. Or maybe we just didn't recruit them hard enough. We have been using backup tackles at TE for several years.

Gus doesn't really use true tight ends in his offense. The H Back position is more important to the scheme.

When good athletes know and I emphasize "know", because the entire freaking stadium, announcers and members of the space station know we're gonna run a dive when we go hurry up, it's gonna be stopped. The CB didn't even cover the WR he crashed and knocked out JR's legs. This is on the OC (Gus, cough, cough). Change your tendencies. These aren't highschool athletes or coaches. I can promise you when opposing defensive staffs watch film they tell their guys what specific play to look for when we go hurry up. If Gus were to expand the playbook to 3 plays when we go hurry up, then at least the defense would have to cover someone.

I swear I read Gus's lips saying to pass but the call didn't get communicated on the field.

He may have, but generally speaking the O doesn't snap the ball until Gus gives it the go ahead from the sideline.

Yep. It's very easy to spot in person. It's not always shown on TV, but while SW is staring at the sideline, Gus has his arm in the air. Once he drops his arm and points at the ground, SW can snap the ball. I assume this is while Gus is studying the D and deciding if he wants to audible. I'm sure there are occasions where we are in the hurry up and Gus may have wanted to switch to pass but didn't get it in, but watching how the play calls go in it would be a very rare occasion.

Has Gus always done this? Did he do it when Nick Marshall was qb?

I'm pretty sure he has. I remember the image of NM standing in the pocket, hands up waiting on the snap while staring at the sideline. This seemed to be the case quite often. Of course with zone read being so effective, it was likely less obvious with the true hurry working more often.

Steady decline.

Injuries piling up on a team that has very little depth. Hard to see SW being 100% again this year and JJ still not ready to lead the team....RBs banged up and missing playing time....Offense will have a hard time reversing the trend I'm afraid.

Explain why we don't have depth. This is our Third recruiting year under this administration.

Really there is no excuse for this kind of season in Gus' 3rd season. He (and his staff) are paid way too much money for this type of season. Poor recruitering, poor playcalling and lack of player development are all on the staff.

I think losing some players hurt. Even that westerman kid. Wish he would've stayed and got coached by grimes. Kozan isn't where he needs to be at guard. And I don't see why we don't play danzey more. He did good against Louisville

Could it be that Gus' offense doesn't work without a true duel-threat QB? I mean a QB who can take it to the house on any given play?

dead_horse.gif

The big question -- How do you lose 14 guys to the NFL after the 2014 season and then successfully transition to a completely different style of offense?

Thats a question better suited for Gene Chizik.

Archived