Are you on the Bus or do you get off every stop

corchjay

First of all, Please folks the calling for CGMs head is beyond stupid. No, not trying to tell people how to think but we can't continue to turnover the staff. Trust me because we will get ourselves into a situation like U of Tennessee are trying to get out of. I do however understand some of the complaints and I will voice mine here as well along with some other thoughts.

Gus is still an offensive genius. Granted I would like to see more diversity on first down... more pass plays. I would like to see less "package" or "situational" personnel groupings. They are way to easy for the DC's for other teams to pick up the tendencies. At the end of the day though we are as much like LSU as UGA or Bama we just do it out of a spread look. We are a run first play action team. Our run game is pretty complex but has been simplified this season due to inexperience with the QB's, RB's, and FB's. When healthy I do think Sean can run the QB keep on the read some. Sean has really impressed me with his decision making and toughness. Any QB regardless of size or experience that can stand in there time after time and throw the ball, stepping into his throws, when a DL is about to pound him is something very few QB's can do. Hats off to the young man. And yes Sean has a strong arm for those that question his arm talent. That was JJ6's biggest issue, he plays scared of contact and therefore never gets through his progressions.

Speaking of passing and as I've said along with many of the posters on this board we run a very simple route tree for the passing game. That's why you don't see that many short throws that aren't bubble screens or dump passes. We generally run very few short crossing routes which is by design we expect the run game to suck the LB's in on play action. However, defensive players are getting better and better at reading and reacting to the spread alignments of today's game. So in my mind instead of CGM having all these high school coaching clinics maybe he and Rhett should visit say... Baylor possibly Ok state and see what they are doing in the pass game and their route trees.

I'm not a defensive expert at all but I can say that our safety's are playing horrible it appears. C. Davis is gonna be a stud in the future. J. Jones is still playing solid however not up to All-SEC standard. Maybe someone with more defensive knowledge can help me with some of the defensive issues we have and why. It doesn't appear to be effort from any position. Is it technique?

A few other things...

Kozan is not the Kozan of 2013. He of course doesn't have Dismukes or Robinson beside him either. Kozan looks uncomfortable in pass pro and doesn't have the strength he played with as a freshman. Golson is doing a decent job but he is learning on the job. He makes mistakes but they are correctable and should be much better next year. Braden Smith is a fricking stud. He dominated RK5 of Ole Miss today. They had to move RK5 around on the line to get him away from Smith.

WRs are inexperienced and lack focus. Is that coaching I can't say that. Sometimes you have to want to make a block or play within yourself and make the catch and not worry about making a Touchdown play every play. I call that over playing and I think we throw so few times that the WRs feel like they have to make a play beyond what's called just to get the ball thrown to them again. Just my perception.

Finally to the RB's. We have super talented backs all do a little different but for now none will be ultra successful hitting the big play until our Guard play on the offensive line gets better. Guard Center Guard are absolutely vital to our interior run game. They must play big strong and mean and provide push. Our offensive tackles are push out blockers, seal blockers, crack down blockers. They rarely are head up and have to push with someone lined up over them. I would like to see Gus go with base formations yet bring in Leff for the wildcat line and run some normal plays. Kind of like a TE to create an unbalanced line.

I told you before the season I didn't see why we were getting all the hype we were getting and I'm here telling you know that next year will be a much better year. Hang in there guys and girls brighter days are just around the corner. It happens to the best of teams and programs that eventually you'll be young and inexperienced. I know the but.. but ... but Bama. We aren't Bama and I don't want to be Bama. I say if we offer and sign a kid that if he doesn't turn out to what we thought he'd be that we stick with him not be the cut throat factory that's across the state.

As Always,

War Eagle

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the Bus to stay. Period. WDE !!!

First of all, :nopityA: Please folks the calling for CGMs head :beatmullet: is beyond stupid. No, :headscratch: not trying to tell people :poke: how to think :fish: but we can't continue to turnover :rollin: the staff. Trust me :pcprobs: because we will get ourselves into a situation :cry3: like U of Tennessee are trying to :abmbu: get out of. I do however understand :rant: some of the complaints :drink9: and I will voice mine here :flame::grouphug: as well along with some other :soapbox: thoughts.

Gus is still an :we: offensive :cheer: genius. Granted I would like to see more diversity :bounce: on first down...deadhorse.gif more pass :tdau: plays. I would like to see less :timeout: "package" or "situational" personnel groupings. They are way to easy for the DC's for other teams to pick up the tendencies :thedeal: . At the end of the day though we are as much like LSU :drink9: as :hail: UGA or Bama :drink9: we just do it out of a spread look. We are a run first :tease: play action team. Our run :roflol: game is pretty complex :boxing: but has been simplified :noevil: this season due to inexperience with the QB's :turkeyday: , RB's, :comfort: and FB's :comfort: . When healthy I do think Sean can run the QB keep on the read some. Sean has really impressed me with his decision making and toughness :iamwithstupid: . Any QB regardless of size or experience that can stand in there time after time and throw the ball, stepping into his throws, when a DL is about to pound him is something very few QB's can do. Hats off to the young man. And yes Sean has a strong arm for those that question his arm talent. That was JJ6's biggest issue, he plays scared of contact :slapfh: and therefore never gets through his progressions. :byebye::wavey::timeout: . . . :WalkOn:. . . :dance:.

Speaking of passing and as I've said along with many of the posters on this board we run a very simple route tree for the passing game. That's why you don't see that many short throws that aren't bubble screens or dump passes. We generally run very few short crossing routes which is by design we expect the run game to suck the LB's in on play action. However, defensive players are getting better and better at reading and reacting to the spread alignments of today's game. So in my mind instead of CGM having all these high school coaching clinics maybe he and Rhett should visit say... Baylor possibly Ok state and see what they are doing in the pass game and their route trees.

I'm not a defensive expert at all but I can say that our safety's are playing horrible it appears. C. Davis is gonna be a stud in the future. J. Jones is still playing solid however not up to All-SEC standard. Maybe someone with more defensive knowledge can help me with some of the defensive issues we have and why. It doesn't appear to be effort from any position. Is it technique?

A few other things...

Kozan is not the Kozan of 2013. He of course doesn't have Dismukes or Robinson beside him either. Kozan looks uncomfortable in pass pro and doesn't have the strength he played with as a freshman. Golson is doing a decent job but he is learning on the job. He makes mistakes but they are correctable and should be much better next year. Braden Smith is a fricking stud. He dominated RK5 of Ole Miss today. They had to move RK5 around on the line to get him away from Smith.

WRs are inexperienced and lack focus. Is that coaching I can't say that. Sometimes you have to want to make a block or play within yourself and make the catch and not worry about making a Touchdown play every play. I call that over playing and I think we throw so few times that the WRs feel like they have to make a play beyond what's called just to get the ball thrown to them again. Just my perception.

Finally to the RB's. We have super talented backs all do a little different but for now none will be ultra successful hitting the big play until our Guard play on the offensive line gets better. Guard Center Guard are absolutely vital to our interior run game. They must play big strong and mean and provide push. Our offensive tackles are push out blockers, seal blockers, crack down blockers. They rarely are head up and have to push with someone lined up over them. I would like to see Gus go with base formations yet bring in Leff for the wildcat line and run some normal plays. Kind of like a TE to create an unbalanced line.

I told you before the season I didn't see why we were getting all the hype we were getting and I'm here telling you know that next year will be a much better year. Hang in there guys and girls brighter days are just around the corner. It happens to the best of teams and programs that eventually you'll be young and inexperienced. I know the but.. but ... but Bama. We aren't Bama and I don't want to be Bama. I say if we offer and sign a kid that if he doesn't turn out to what we thought he'd be that we stick with him not be the cut throat factory that's across the state.

As Always, :believe:

War Eagle

Still riding.... but it's somehow feeling shorter every day !

Sometimes (even though I enjoyed the ride) that 2013 was the worst thing that could have happened to Gus. I don't think people realize how good of two deep talent we had at the time. Those players have moved on and we were way overhyped this year. I believe the media thought CWM would wave a wand and the D would be sensational...it is making strides....this year we are starting a new center, qb, RB etc...the line play is inconsistent. SW was dinged up and it showed that we really don't have a back up since queen went down to surgery...wished he was available this year...if we stop killing ourselves we would be a much better team and would have won a few more games this year....we have a young team and I agree that next year will be much better. Our FR that we are playing will be much better but this is their learning year. We lost 14 solid two deep players that are on active or practice squads this year which you just can't replace overnight.

I am still on the Bus and haven't thought about getting off. I do believe that next year and the one after will be much better.

Very nice post with good info. It is stupid to talk about coaching changes. Don't disagree with the analysis at all. Call me crazy but we cam win the rest of them.

Like Coach Malzahn and want him to do well but have serious concerns about where AU is as a program. This slide really started last year and has continued this season.

Well said 88- I don't post here (ever) but the auburn folks who are ready for change need to step back and take a deep breath. I know it's frustrating - we need consistency on the coaching staff ! Geez. The last thing we need is a coaching change. Heck, 3 DC's for some of these kids.

WDE

We are Texas Tech under Mummy and Leach. Productive offenses (except this year)and poor defenses (see previous example). We will get the occasional big win but the program will not be a consistent elite team under Gus. Gus is an 8-5 SEC head coach. Teams will equivalent talent, the smoke and mirrors approach doesnt work. Good recruiting and solid coaching always prevail.

Quote from then first sentence of the op:"First of all, Please folks the calling for CGMs head is beyond stupid." That's all that needs to be said.

Quote from then first sentence of the op:"First of all, Please folks the calling for CGMs head is beyond stupid." That's all that needs to be said.

Here, here! :cheers:

The last part of the last paragraph is the only part I don't agree with. I believe you sign the maximum every year and replace the ones that are not helping your team. College football is a multi-million dollar business and should be treated as such. What happens to an underperforming employee at a company? He or she gets replaced. It doesn't help an adult, (these players are not kids) in the long run to tolerate underperforming.

My post has nothing to do with the turds. Although I believe that their model works. It has to do with real life lessons.

We are Texas Tech under Mummy and Leach. Productive offenses (except this year)and poor defenses (see previous example). We will get the occasional big win but the program will not be a consistent elite team under Gus. Gus is an 8-5 SEC head coach. Teams will equivalent talent, the smoke and mirrors approach doesnt work. Good recruiting and solid coaching always prevail.

The issue is not the scheme. Despite what bammers think, this is not usually a "high school trickeration offense." Every coach uses trick plays. If they don't, it is because they are a bland offensive coordinator with no creativity (see Jim Mcelwain). This is an offense, by Gus's admission, that wants to run the ball between the tackles and use that to set up play action. The trick plays are a way of generating offense to keep the opposing team on their toes.

That said, we've gotten away from this approach. We've had almost no big pass plays this year and have not committed to running the ball. That's, in my opinion, one of the biggest reasons we are struggling.

Like Coach Malzahn and want him to do well but have serious concerns about where AU is as a program. This slide really started last year and has continued this season.

GM is in his 3rd yr and this slide started in yr 2 and has continued. I was not thrilled when he was hired because i wanted a proven coach. 2013/14 was magical; but was it a fluke? Is GM really an O genius? He has evaluated and recruited many of these players. We have had highly rated classes. Do we see development? Is the excuse that these players were busts? If so whose fault is that? How did he not see JJs problems? Why are our receivers so mediocre? Whats the real story with JR? And finally, why has this genius been so predictable on scheming/playcalling and has single handidly killed drives with questionable moves amplified yesterday.

So I guess I never was on the Gus bus but was ready to say I was wrong after his first season. Now, I wish I was because I love AU but I dont see it. Do we really think he will bring in a new O coordinator? Or let them have full control? Or a QB coach which I think we desperately need? I'm very concerned and ive stated this before just to get condemned. While i agree that firing Gus is probably not the right decision right now, i want to see some accountibility and changes. Im thrilled with WM now Gus better get the O on track

I was embarrassed by the number of fans who decided the game was over with 3:30 to go in the game. Auburn obviously pooped the bed on the last play but they had a chance to tie the game after a defensive stop. I still think Muschamp is going to be the best thing that ever happens to Gus. Even if Muschamp left after next season the defensive personnel would be much better than when he got here. With the exception of LSU we have been in position to win every game this season. These is the kind of team that goes from 7-6, 8-5 to 11-2 next year.

I will always support the team, regardless of coach.

AU needs to keep Gus at least thru the end of next season, preferably thru the next as well. Any potential HC needs to know he'll have ample time to build a team and succeed at AU.

GM is in his 3rd yr and this slide started in yr 2 and has continued. I was not thrilled when he was hired because i wanted a proven coach. 2013/14 was magical; but was it a fluke? Is GM really an O genius? He has evaluated and recruited many of these players. We have had highly rated classes. Do we see development? Is the excuse that these players were busts? If so whose fault is that? How did he not see JJs problems? Why are our receivers so mediocre? Whats the real story with JR? And finally, why has this genius been so predictable on scheming/playcalling and has single handidly killed drives with questionable moves amplified yesterday.

So I guess I never was on the Gus bus but was ready to say I was wrong after his first season. Now, I wish I was because I love AU but I dont see it. Do we really think he will bring in a new O coordinator? Or let them have full control? Or a QB coach which I think we desperately need? I'm very concerned and ive stated this before just to get condemned. While i agree that firing Gus is probably not the right decision right now, i want to see some accountibility and changes. Im thrilled with WM now Gus better get the O on track

I'm with you. I was skeptical of the hire initially as well. I thought he was partially to blame for Chizik's problems in 2011 and 2012 because we had no great qb in either of those years. In fact, our best option was Wallace who was the only quarterback that Gus hadn't worked with. I got on the bus because he was hired and it's important to support the coach. However, I had concerns about player development because we hired a staff full of great recruiters but not a lot of great talent developers. People were certainly being to optimistic over his hiring, and I think that's why a lot of people are having a hard time admitting that we are currently going in the wrong direction.

Still on the bus, but Gus is no offensive genius. He was an innovator at one time, but he isn't the same play caller he was before getting the HC job. Since then he has gotten too conservative and predictable.

Archived