Are you on the Bus or do you get off every stop

corchjay

I'm all in. Every game is winnable from here on out. Tigers are gonna get 1, maybe 2 big wins. This team can hang with anybody in the country, but just don't quite know how to finish it off just yet. We'll get there ladies and gents; cheer up! Your team is consistently competing in the SEC West against every team they play. We could be UCF.....

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote from then first sentence of the op:"First of all, Please folks the calling for CGMs head is beyond stupid." That's all that needs to be said.

Definitely the most important point of the OP.

I was a little skeptical when Gus was hired and 2013 was great but way too soon.

I am firmly seated on the bus but we are climbing a steep hill this season. Injuries, lack of experience and depth, players not living up to expectations and player execution has made this an uphill drive.

War Eagle guy's & gal's!

Since the Ole Miss game a year ago, we are 5-8 overall, 1-7 in the SEC with our wins coming over the powerhouses of Samford, Louisville, JSU, SJSU, and Kentucky.

The bus has gone off course. Hopefully we can get back on track.

Let's face it. We thought we had the best QB in the SEC going into the season. He ended up being a bust. We thought we had the best receiver in the country going into the season. He ended up being a head case. We had a difference maker on our defense but he got hurt in the first half of the first game. So far we have got next to nothing out of our three best players. We have relied on a freshman QB, a running back we thought would be third or fourth on the depth chart, and several other players that were moved around to try to compensate for the loss of our stud defensive player who was injured. Yet the players fought their asses off and stayed with 3 good SEC West opponents all the way. With any breaks at all we would have won all 3. The ball just hasn't bounced right for us yet. The only time they were really beaten it was against arguably the best team in the country on their home field, which is arguably the toughest place to play in all of college football. This team and this coaching staff is fighting hard trying to get better and get over the hump. Now is not the time to be naysayers or to be jumping off the bus. What I have learned in my 50+ years of watching Auburn and SEC football is what goes around comes around. Two years ago we were the most charmed team in America. Now we can't seem to buy a break. It happens and it does not mean the players suck or the coaches suck. What Auburn needs right now is continuity and you don't achieve that by jumping on the coaching carousel every time something doesn't go your way. Gus will get the offense going and Will is going to field a great defense sooner rather than later. Heck, the defense he just built for UF may well the best in the country right now. Just because the unrealistic expectations for this team, that were largely fueled by some sports writers we all agree don't know crap, doesn't mean you go out and do something stupid like get rid of coaches. That just makes it worse.

The analyses was spot on. I totally agree defenses have gotten better at reading the Gus Offense especially without a true DT QB and I think visiting a Baylor and adding to the Route tree would help tremendously especially with a throwing QB like SW. We also need to include the TE's more. Stick with the basic Gus Offense and add to it.

As to D it is not an overnight fix. Gus inherited the D that had been bad for a long time. Last year he did something about it he brought in Muschamp. The problem is we had too many bad habits engrained in some of the older players or player was playing in wrong position (Casanova). In is going to take time. How good will we be next year a lot depends on who decides to go to NFL. Young and Coleman go to NFL we will have to rebuild O-Line again. If they stay it will be dominate. I believe a year getting stronger and we will see the old Kozan. Golsen will be an all SEC center by the time he leaves he has improved but it was a brand new position. On D it is hard to say CL and MA come back the D-Line will be great as Cowart and Holland will be a year older and experienced. Plus other returning players and new players. CL and Adams go NFL D-Line will be better then it was without CL this year because of experience. Linebacker will be a question mark Tre and Atkinson will be back will need new people to step up, DB will depend on Davis and a healthy Matthews as leaders and then will need guys like Irwin, Ruffin, etc to step up I think they will be good if LB's can find a way to be good.

Those expecting a great year could be right but there are a lot of question mark's that will need to be answered.

I am on the Gus Bus.

I will always support the team, regardless of coach.

AU needs to keep Gus at least thru the end of next season, preferably thru the next as well. Any potential HC needs to know he'll have ample time to build a team and succeed at AU.

Yes! Absolutely!!

The team is getting better. If we are here in this same spot next season I might be ready for another "New Day". Right now I see a defense playing better and an offense that is trying to reboot from a very bad start of the season. Coaches need to reboot along with players and right now we just can't put it all together.

As bad as we want to win this team is nothing close to the dumpster fire 2012 was. The 2015 team fights like hell and puts it all on the line. That has to be worth something, right?

I'm not in the fire Gus crowd(just yet).But he does not look like an offensive genius to me.His substitutions in the redzone and crucial situations baffles me.I think it is time to stop with the JJ plays(he brings nothing to the game)and often results in momentum killing plays.Bottom line is Gus needs to start winning games 1-4 in the sec is not going to keep cutting it.

Like Coach Malzahn and want him to do well but have serious concerns about where AU is as a program. This slide really started last year and has continued this season.

GM is in his 3rd yr and this slide started in yr 2 and has continued. I was not thrilled when he was hired because i wanted a proven coach. 2013/14 was magical; but was it a fluke? Is GM really an O genius? He has evaluated and recruited many of these players. We have had highly rated classes. Do we see development? Is the excuse that these players were busts? If so whose fault is that? How did he not see JJs problems? Why are our receivers so mediocre? Whats the real story with JR? And finally, why has this genius been so predictable on scheming/playcalling and has single handidly killed drives with questionable moves amplified yesterday.

So I guess I never was on the Gus bus but was ready to say I was wrong after his first season. Now, I wish I was because I love AU but I dont see it. Do we really think he will bring in a new O coordinator? Or let them have full control? Or a QB coach which I think we desperately need? I'm very concerned and ive stated this before just to get condemned. While i agree that firing Gus is probably not the right decision right now, i want to see some accountibility and changes. Im thrilled with WM now Gus better get the O on track

I'm with you. I was skeptical of the hire initially as well. I thought he was partially to blame for Chizik's problems in 2011 and 2012 because we had no great qb in either of those years. In fact, our best option was Wallace who was the only quarterback that Gus hadn't worked with. I got on the bus because he was hired and it's important to support the coach. However, I had concerns about player development because we hired a staff full of great recruiters but not a lot of great talent developers. People were certainly being to optimistic over his hiring, and I think that's why a lot of people are having a hard time admitting that we are currently going in the wrong direction.

Not trying to flame, but have any of you ever hired an employee? You always want the best hire possible, but sometimes you have to take the best applicant. Look at the turds, they hired Mike Price, Mike Shula and was turned down by Rich Rod before the midget threw in his hat. Of the coaches that were mentioned as serious candidates, Gus was the best option. Some floated their names and got raises. Do you think that the committee didn't try and find the best candidate? Who are these proven coaches that wanted the job? I am sure Bo Jackson wants the best coach possible for Auburn!

On the bus. Hoping for a full servicing soon and full check up. If any parts are broken or not working as well as they should, I hope they get replaced. Not demanding changes, just that competent people decide if they're needed and I'm guessing/hoping that will happen.

I don't see why calling for him to go is stupid; he clearly is not the right fit as head coach at Auburn. Though I do understand about not wanting to be like Tennessee. If he does stay he needs to stop with the silly sweeps & flashy plays that don't work..This is Auburn, not Oregon. We need to run the ball DOWN the field, not across.

The team is getting better. If we are here in this same spot next season I might be ready for another "New Day". Right now I see a defense playing better and an offense that is trying to reboot from a very bad start of the season. Coaches need to reboot along with players and right now we just can't put it all together.

As bad as we want to win this team is nothing close to the dumpster fire 2012 was. The 2015 team fights like hell and puts it all on the line. That has to be worth something, right?

^^All of this^^

Only thing i agree with is that when the right coach is hired, you stick long term with the coach. I dont understand this we are a young team. We are a young team now, but the start of the season, we were far from young. Auburn has turned into the team that finds away to lose. the drop passes at critical times, the missed tackle for a loss resulting in a first down to keep drives going, missed field goals to go into overtime and on and on.

I am not confident that we can hire the right coach with the current AD. Anyone that hires a head coach that was 5 and 19, just doesnt know what he is doing. Whether people on here want to admit it or not, auburn is in competition with Alabama. So the only way to compete, is to find a proven coach with a proven track record.

Just amazing that we just went through this exact same exercise a few short years ago. Just change out the names. I'm sorry but 3 years in we should not be faced with this same agonizing situation. Hell I don't know wheather it's recruiting or discipline or motivation or game day play calling or program leadership, but something somewhere is not right. At the end of the season somebody, hopefully other than Jacobs, must make an educated evaluation of the football landscape in Au. I Thank the lord he let me make to the desert and to the bowl of roses and we could not have made it without Gus but you can get run over and left in the dust if you allow things to roll on down the wrong path too long. I feel confident that we will be in the right place when the next season rolls around. Until then I'm gonna shut up and be in my seat in sec 46 15 minutes before kickoff and marvel at the eagles Fly.

There is a much deeper issue than coaching or players or player development. That is evident because Auburn is basically in the same situation as when Chizik was here. When Chizik first arrived, he actually looked very confident in what he could build at Auburn. If it weren't for Newton and Nick, 2010 probably wouldn't have happened. In the later years, Chizik's demeanor changed just as Gus's has now. What that means exactly, I don't know. But there is something or someone, (wink wink) that is a problem down there, and it is undermining the program.

First, we keep reciting how we are too talented to be here. No we aren't. Go look at various NFL Draft board predictions. You will see Ole Miss and Baylor with more players on there than us. Same for Bama, LSU, Georgia, etc. Second, and most important, our cycle of terrible to great to mediocre then back again will continue until we decide to address the cultural issues within our football program. If you brought in high level management consultants, they would identify dysfunction that would get any CEO fired from a corporation. Some of the names may have changed, but the Jetgate crowd is still pulling the strings.

First, we keep reciting how we are too talented to be here. No we aren't. Go look at various NFL Draft board predictions. You will see Ole Miss and Baylor with more players on there than us. Same for Bama, LSU, Georgia, etc. Second, and most important, our cycle of terrible to great to mediocre then back again will continue until we decide to address the cultural issues within our football program. If you brought in high level management consultants, they would identify dysfunction that would get any CEO fired from a corporation. Some of the names may have changed, but the Jetgate crowd is still pulling the strings.

Finally, someone with sense. Well said. You won't be liked by the soccer mom, everybody gets a trophy crowd here, but you are correct.

Finally, someone with sense. Well said. You won't be liked by the soccer mom, everybody gets a trophy crowd here, but you are correct.

Yup, this post speaks volumes. I have suspected that outside influences have been in play since the Chizik era. Sadly, I'm not sure much is going to change. Wonder what it would take to get the fat cats out of the program?

So now Jacobs and other "fat cats" are stopping Auburn from scoring TDs in the red zone and telling receivers to drop passes thrown to them? Did just all of a sudden last year they say "sorry guys we have won enough games for a while let's shut it down." What is the end game there becoming completely irrelevant in the SEC much less the nation? All major programs have "fat cats" but for some reason a large number of them are consistently not affected by it every season. Seems like a weak excuse but guess I just don't "get it."

Wanting what it best for Auburn is NOT turning against Auburn. For some reason there have always been a lot of people on this forum who equated teh two. If you weren't all pumping sunshine when things were OBVIOUSLY not working then you were a defeatist and should go support 'that other team'. Knock, knock, people; that was the attitude of Germany in 1944. Claiming everything is running just fine and dandy when things are going to hell in a handbasket is not what is best for Auburn. And things are not working right now., in their xecond yearo f not working, when they should have been.

Calling for Gus' hed? No, absolutely not. for one thing we already are paying too many coaches not to coach. For another, I don't know that he can't fix things. but to claim they're not broke is STUPID. They are. And frankly it seems that the heart of the problem is at the top. Not Gus...Jay Jacobs. And if the University President isn't willing to get rid of Jacobs, the this problem, which has been going on ever since Jacobs became AD, will continue.

It's not just the football program. It's the entire athletic dept. Nothing is working.

I don't see why calling for him to go is stupid;

Because you want to establish consistency within the program. You can't do that when you change coaches every 3-4 years. That's just not how it works. Anybody with a little football knowledge would know that.

he clearly is not the right fit as head coach at Auburn.

WRONG. That's your opinion and that's all it is. Opinion. It's certainly not mine...

Though I do understand about not wanting to be like Tennessee. If he does stay he needs to stop with the silly sweeps & flashy plays that don't work.

Those do work when they are executed properly. They weren't silly when Ontario McCalebb was running them or when Corey Grant was running them. Comes right back to that football knowledge thing again.

This is Auburn, not Oregon. We need to run the ball DOWN the field, not across.

We do run the ball down the field. What game are you watching?

Archived