I got a dog!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Enjoy the new pup! Our black lab just turned 10 a couple of weeks ago. We have so many stories from the puppy phase (funny now, not so funny at the time)... ours ate everything in sight, including a lamp (yes, wires included). The time flies, and she's been a wonderful companion. Our golden lived until she was 15, so we are hoping that this one lives at least as long!

Great looking pup......get him a user name and set him up...The forum is overdue for a shot of higher intelligence ;).....

Congrats, enjoy. Nothing like them.

:hellyeah:

Puppy update:

Wow. He's a handful. Great personality, but is he rambunctious. He's moved into a chewing on clothes/myself phase. No matter how many toys I place in his mouth to detract, he comes right back to myself. The foster family we got him from started him on house training, so he's pretty good in that respect, and he sleeps fairly well at night, only having to get up with him 2-3 times per night so far.

This is my first puppy I've had to raise on my own(with my wife). Grew up with dogs/puppies all my life, but my parents were the ones to largely take care of them...they were just added entertainment to me. This is a whole new level. Cats are a complete joke to raise in comparison(I have two currently.

What sparked us getting a dog was having to put our first cat we got to sleep a few months ago. He had congestive heart failure, at a very early age of 4. I've been pestering my wife for years about getting a dog, and we finally found ourselves in the right position to do so.

Pics to follow...

My "Gollie" almost got put back for adoption today. Chewed the cord to my pool light into four pieces today. Among other things he has chewed. He will be left in the crate, inside of course, when unattended now. Hated to keep hip couped up like that but can't let him destroy my stuff.

Love the puppy belly, and the jealous cat. My wife and I are cat people. We have 3.

I don't like to place myself in either category because I love both cats and dogs the same amount. We are down to 2, after having our first one put to sleep. I was destroyed. He was always more like a dog than a cat. Played fetch, always came when called, greeted me when I came home, etc. He was basically my best friend outside of the human realm.

It's like losing a member of the family. I put my first cat down 3 years ago and it was nothing short of that. I like dogs but grew up with cats and definitely prefer them.

It's like losing a member of the family. I put my first cat down 3 years ago and it was nothing short of that. I like dogs but grew up with cats and definitely prefer them.

Cats really are the epitome of "set it and forget it" style. Oh, they're acting up? A simple squirt from a spray bottle stops them in their tracks.

Great pics, and congrats.

But " Bug " ? Really?

:laugh:

May there be many puppy adventures to follow.

Great pics, and congrats.

But " Bug " ? Really?

:laugh:/>

May there be many puppy adventures to follow.

Bug is a Phish song, all of my pets have been named after Phish songs. Gumbo(RIP), Stash, Piper. People that have met him seem to be loving the name.

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately we had to return Bug to the adoption service. He simply could not stop using our cat as a chew toy.

So...we got another. 2 years old, French bulldog/pug mix. I think he has some pit in him, he's a 30lb bowling ball of muscle. He's skittish toward men, loves my wife--always by her side.

Best of it is that he's totally chill and completely ignores the cats.

If our Gollie would quit chewing all our possessions i would get him a cat. We love this dog but you cannot leave him unattended for a minute.

Unfortunately we had to return Bug to the adoption service. He simply could not stop using our cat as a chew toy.

So...we got another. 2 years old, French bulldog/pug mix. I think he has some pit in him, he's a 30lb bowling ball of muscle. He's skittish toward men, loves my wife--always by her side.

Best of it is that he's totally chill and completely ignores the cats.

When do we get a picture of the new one?

Archived