Potential Effects of UGA internal struggles on AU recruiting

thaitopher

Maybe UF did the right thing in hiring McElwain...he got a few years as a head coach at a smaller power 5 school before getting a big time gig...time will tell. It worked out well for them with Urban and Spurrier as well. Coordinator hires seem to be very risky ventures, but with so much competition for coaches, hiring a proven commodity is no easy task.

No doubt but they should be the last resort,not the first choice. The good thing is that there are some pretty successful coaches at schools in second level conference who have shown the ability to compete with Power 5 schools...and do so with less talent.

With all the openings in the big schools, the MAC and other conferences are going to get hit hard....but interesting that some of those schools seem to come up with good young coaches over and over.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe UF did the right thing in hiring McElwain...he got a few years as a head coach at a smaller power 5 school before getting a big time gig...time will tell. It worked out well for them with Urban and Spurrier as well. Coordinator hires seem to be very risky ventures, but with so much competition for coaches, hiring a proven commodity is no easy task.

Excellent point about UF. The Zook and Muschamp hires further illustrate your point.

Whatever happens they would be wise to retain Pruitt. I'm sure the dawg radio is blowing up

Do you think he has the experience for an SEC HC job yet? Or do you think his defenses and his recruiting will be enough to be HC at Georgia?

If Richt goes, UGA will not take Pruitt as the head coach. They will be looking for an elite name. Pruitt's defense has been underwheming this year. People in Atlanta seem to think that UGA can pull almost anyone they want as head coach because the recruiting talent is so high. Yesterday, there was even a rumor that FL ST coach Fisher is very open to UGA. He is going through a divorce, and he is not very happy in Tallahassee these days.

Georgia will be able to attract an elite coach, provided one is available. They've certainly shown that they will be patient and allow a coach to have rebuilding years.

It wouldn't shock me to see Fisher leave FSU. It's a fair weather fan base down there. Not to the degree that Miami or USCw is, but they fall off pretty hard attendance wise when things aren't going perfect.

Looking at Georgia's program as Richt has built it, Fisher is probably the best coach they could get to come in and pick up where Richt left off. I still think they'd be foolish to fire a guy that has 9 double digit win seasons, 3 top 5 finishes, and 8 top 10 finishes. The only potentially better coach they've ever had is the revered Vince Dooley, and they both have a 71% win percentage. Georgia's fanbase has too much Bama envy.

Whatever happens they would be wise to retain Pruitt. I'm sure the dawg radio is blowing up

Do you think he has the experience for an SEC HC job yet? Or do you think his defenses and his recruiting will be enough to be HC at Georgia?

If Richt goes, UGA will not take Pruitt as the head coach. They will be looking for an elite name. Pruitt's defense has been underwheming this year. People in Atlanta seem to think that UGA can pull almost anyone they want as head coach because the recruiting talent is so high. Yesterday, there was even a rumor that FL ST coach Fisher is very open to UGA. He is going through a divorce, and he is not very happy in Tallahassee these days.

Georgia will be able to attract an elite coach, provided one is available. They've certainly shown that they will be patient and allow a coach to have rebuilding years.

It wouldn't shock me to see Fisher leave FSU. It's a fair weather fan base down there. Not to the degree that Miami or USCw is, but they fall off pretty hard attendance wise when things aren't going perfect.

Looking at Georgia's program as Richt has built it, Fisher is probably the best coach they could get to come in and pick up where Richt left off. I still think they'd be foolish to fire a guy that has 9 double digit win seasons, 3 top 5 finishes, and 8 top 10 finishes. The only potentially better coach they've ever had is the revered Vince Dooley, and they both have a 71% win percentage. Georgia's fanbase has too much Bama envy.

Georgia may regret firing him if they slide afterwards....but you can only be happy with "almost there" for so long. I'd have to think if I was a UGA fan i'd want to see what someone else could do.

Georgia may regret firing him if they slide afterwards....but you can only be happy with "almost there" for so long. I'd have to think if I was a UGA fan i'd want to see what someone else could do.

I can understand their frustration. Living in Georgia, I get to hear about it all the time, that's why I called it Bama envy. At #3 heading into the 2012 SEC Championship Game to play #2 Alabama, that's closer than most programs ever get. They make that one last play at the end of that game, and it's Georgia exposing Notre Dame instead.

If they do move to replace Richt, they need to bring in someone like Fisher, as Richt has built a good program there.

Absolutely the deck is full over there. I think any decent coach can do well at Ga.. Only thing I hate is that I thikn Richt is a good guy. I think he runs a loose ship but I think personally he is a good guy.

Absolutely the deck is full over there. I think any decent coach can do well at Ga.. Only thing I hate is that I thikn Richt is a good guy. I think he runs a loose ship but I think personally he is a good guy.

I disagree about the loose ship part. Richt never hesitates to kick a player off the team for violating team rules, etc...

Here's a list of the recruits that we're battling UGA for that could get very interesting around December & February if a coaching change is made. Jeremy Pruit may be gone this week and Mark Richt will likely be gone at the end of the year.

RB - Elijah Holyfield (UGA commit)

WR - Kyle Davis

ATH - Mecole Hardman

OL - E.J. Price

OL - Willie Allen

DE - Brian Burns

DT - Derrick Brown

DT - Antwuan Jackson

DT - Michail Carter

DT - Julian Rochester (UGA commit)

DT - Tyler Clark (UGA commit)

LB - Jaleel Laguins (UGA commit)

CB - Malek Young (UGA commit)

S - Nigel Warrior

Here's a list of the recruits that we're battling UGA for that could get very interesting around December & February if a coaching change is made. Jeremy Pruit may be gone this week and Mark Richt will likely be gone at the end of the year.

RB - Elijah Holyfield (UGA commit)

WR - Kyle Davis

ATH - Mecole Hardman

OL - E.J. Price

OL - Willie Allen

DE - Brian Burns

DT - Derrick Brown

DT - Antwuan Jackson

DT - Michail Carter

DT - Julian Rochester (UGA commit)

DT - Tyler Clark (UGA commit)

LB - Jaleel Laguins (UGA commit)

CB - Malek Young (UGA commit)

S - Nigel Warrior

Where is Pruitt possibly going this week?

Would love to have Pruitt on staff here . Can he coach DL??

Considering he's been toxic at FSU and UGA, you really don't want him here. There's been word that came out today that Pruitt got in a physical altercation with Rocker and possibly Richt.

I guess what I mean is that he gets a lot of players over there that have character issues so he has to boot more of them.

Considering he's been toxic at FSU and UGA, you really don't want him here. There's been word that came out today that Pruitt got in a physical altercation with Rocker and possibly Richt.

If he got into a physical altercation with Rocker is he still walking?

LOL

You really don't want him. Trust me

Coach envy at AU is amazing....every time some coach is part of a good season, folks want to run out and hire him before they even know anything about him and if he was a real factor. The list of D line coaches on our Christmas list must be running to double figures by now.

LOL

Right. He is touched in the head if he bowed up to Rocker.

Someone on Finebaum's show described the Georgia job as a truly great job. I know that's true from a recruiting stand point.

With the right coach ...............UGA is a sleeping giant

Someone on Finebaum's show described the Georgia job as a truly great job. I know that's true from a recruiting stand point.

With the right coach ...............UGA is a sleeping giant

Correct. UGA is a top 6 job in the country. Despite the success they've had they let way too much talent leave the state. Cam/Deshaun Watson should've NEVER been allowed to play QB anywhere but Athens.

LOL

Right. He is touched in the head if he bowed up to Rocker.

Pruitt is a lot like Billy Martin who played for and managed the Yankees many years back. Known as a fighter, he was always willing to fight when there was someone around to break it up before it got too heated. But when no one was around to be a go between Martin, was as meek as a lamb.

Archived