Recruiting is Starting to Look Up

AuburnNTexas

With David Marshall and Marlon Character we seem to have picked up some steam on the recruiting trail. Also with possible coaching change at Ga. we may have a shot at some that we had thought had gotten away or it might help with some we are still fighting Ga. for.

Currently we have:

Defense - We have at least one solid player at each position of need Still need at least 2 more LB, 1 more DT, and 1 more CB.

I said need at least some we could use more of.

DT - Tashawn Manning

DE - Marlon Davidson

DE - David Marshall

DE - Daquan Newkirk

LB - Tre Threat

CB - John Broussard

S - Marlon Character

Offense - Again have at least one solid player at every position. With QB issues probably need 1 more QB, RB we are pretty solid, need 1 more top of the line WR and we need at least 3 more O-Line as there is a potential for 2 current OL to go pro or will be Seniors.

QB - Woody Barrett

RB - Malik Miller

WR - Elijah Stove

WR - Marquis McClain

TE- Landon Rice

OL- Brodarius Hamm

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've done some projections that land us in the #8-#12 range. We're recruiting heavily at a position that we've missed on a few top targets which will ultimately lower our ranking potential some.

We've done some projections that land us in the #8-#12 range. We're recruiting heavily at a position that we've missed on a few top targets which will ultimately lower our ranking potential some.

Who is "we"?

As long as we are able to fill positions of need with quality players I am fine if we are ranked 15th.

Thank you Jonesy for your posts today on recruiting. You have always been a very welcome addition to our forum.

Who is "we"?

We being the staff I presume. Auburn wants 8-9 DL. Which is what position Jonesy is referring to.

A rare Jonesy sighting. Welcome. Thanks for the update.

We biggest catch would be if we could get Tracy Rocker to coach the D-line.

His extremely talented D-line at Georgia is playing worse than Garner's AU line is playing.

His extremely talented D-line at Georgia is playing worse than Garner's AU line is playing.

Right, I love Tracy as part of the AU Family and formally one of the best defenders to ever wear Orange and Blue, but I think the ship has sailed on his coaching at AU. Tracy is a good coach, but he does not like going on the road to recruit. At AU you have to do this to compete with the Bama's, Dawgs, Gators, Rebels, Aggies, LSU Tigers, Vols, etc....

Right, I love Tracy as part of the AU Family and formally one of the best defenders to ever wear Orange and Blue, but I think the ship has sailed on his coaching at AU. Tracy is a good coach, but he does not like going on the road to recruit. At AU you have to do this to compete with the Bama's, Dawgs, Gators, Rebels, Aggies, LSU Tigers, Vols, etc....

Rocker is not as bad as a recruiter as you think. But I don't see Rocker back at AU for a long while if ever. He's going to stick with uga as long as his kids are still in school. Or he will take next year off if the staff is let go so his kids can finish school in Ga. So I'm told.

I'd be OK if we stopped putting so much effort in creative ways to get former AU guys on staff and just went after the best guys who fit the schemes we want to run.

I'd be OK if we stopped putting so much effort in creative ways to get former AU guys on staff and just went after the best guys who fit the schemes we want to run.

This

This

What is all this effort and creativity? What exactly is the problem with the results? Dameyune Craig was a universally acclaimed hire. One of the top recruiters in the country and he opened up Mobile, where we landed our best LB signing since Tray Blackmon. We gave him a BS co-OC title or something. So? Tracy Rocker did a great job at Auburn. Turned Fairley into a game changer and a first rounder. All we had to do to get T-Rob- who, along with Muschamp, is saving our recruiting and doing a damn good job with our DBs- was say, "Yes, Will, you can bring T-Rob with you." And I'm not sure if we had to do anything creative to get Garner, but he was another home run hire at the time, even if the results have been mixed since.

So what exactly is the issue? What better hires should we have made?

This

What is all this effort and creativity? What exactly is the problem with the results? Dameyune Craig was a universally acclaimed hire. One of the top recruiters in the country and he opened up Mobile, where we landed our best LB signing since Tray Blackmon. We gave him a BS co-OC title or something. So? Tracy Rocker did a great job at Auburn. Turned Fairley into a game changer and a first rounder. All we had to do to get T-Rob- who, along with Muschamp, is saving our recruiting and doing a damn good job with our DBs- was say, "Yes, Will, you can bring T-Rob with you." And I'm not sure if we had to do anything creative to get Garner, but he was another home run hire at the time, even if the results have been mixed since.

You are not allowed to ask that question....

On this board, people can make statements about "better hiring decisions" but there is no requirement that they actually be able to offer up names that AU could have hired that would have been better.

Meanwhile, a little stability would be good for the program....to have all the coaches on the same page and to let recruits have a clear picture of who will be coaching them.

Rocker is not as bad as a recruiter as you think. But I don't see Rocker back at AU for a long while if ever. He's going to stick with uga as long as his kids are still in school. Or he will take next year off if the staff is let go so his kids can finish school in Ga. So I'm told.

Not that I think it's even on anyone but A4E's radar, but I would think that, as easy of a commute as it is from Auburn to Athens, his kids finishing school for a year would not be a huge stumbling block. Except during the actual season, Spring and Fall practice, he could be with them when he's not on the road, and they could easily come to town on game weekends. From what I know about the coaching lifestyle, having 2 residences that close together would make little impact on how much he actually saw his kids.

So, there you go A4E... if you want to give Rocker a call and sell him on coming back to the staff (after you give Gus a call and convince him to open up a spot), you have your talking points.

Who is "we"?

Myself and a few other guys on another board worked up a hypothetical final list (never accurate) and came out with a point total that consistently represents the #8-#9 ranking over the past 4-5 years. Just depends on how we finish.

We're recruiting heavily on the DL (~32% of our entire class) and we've missed some of the higher ranked lineman. So we'll be allotting slots along that line and there are only so many highly ranked recruits that you can plug in which diminishes our potential there. Muschamp's staff, in my opinion (some disagree with me on this) are prioritizing guys with a hard nosed mentality.

This

Over the last 4 or 5 years...I think we're happy with TRob, mostly happy with Craig, jury is out on Muschamp. Based on performance so far...Pelton = dud, Garner = dud. Now folks are figuring out ways to bend over backwards to keep Garner AND get Rocker on the field...and want to fire Fountain in order to do it (ridiculous). How about we just find the best coaches...Auburn ties or not? I don't think Auburn hires are any more or less successful and sometimes can end in a needless, messy divorce.

This

Over the last 4 or 5 years...I think we're happy with TRob, mostly happy with Craig, jury is out on Muschamp. Based on performance so far...Pelton = dud, Garner = dud. Now folks are figuring out ways to bend over backwards to keep Garner AND get Rocker on the field...and want to fire Fountain in order to do it (ridiculous). How about we just find the best coaches...Auburn ties or not? I don't think Auburn hires are any more or less successful and sometimes can end in a needless, messy divorce.

So a couple fans suggesting that we move Garner to a different coaching position and hiring a guy who previously did a great job at Auburn means that Auburn is "putting so much effort in creative ways to get former AU guys on staff" and means we're not going after the best guys? Again: who were the better hires than Craig, T-Rob, Muschamp, Garner, Rocker and Pelton (the one year placeholder I forgot about)? And what are these "needless, messy" divorces you speak of? Sunny Golloway wasn't an Auburn guy and doesn't coach football.

Now folks are figuring out ways to bend over backwards to keep Garner AND get Rocker on the field...and want to fire Fountain in order to do it (ridiculous). How about we just find the best coaches...Auburn ties or not? I don't think Auburn hires are any more or less successful and sometimes can end in a needless, messy divorce.

I think the Rocker love comes less from his Auburn ties and more from back when the D under Chizik's started to fall apart and people were trying to figure out how. The only obvious change was that Rocker left, so ever since he's been crowned D-line coaching royalty in some people's minds.

I personally think Garner's issue is that the real talent he lands can't stay healthy or out of trouble. As has been said many times before. If Carl didn't get hurt, no one would be calling for Rocker's head this year.

This

So a couple fans suggesting that we move Garner to a different coaching position and hiring a guy who previously did a great job at Auburn means that Auburn is "putting so much effort in creative ways to get former AU guys on staff" and means we're not going after the best guys? Again: who were the better hires than Craig, T-Rob, Muschamp, Garner, Rocker and Pelton (the one year placeholder I forgot about)? And what are these "needless, messy" divorces you speak of? Sunny Golloway wasn't an Auburn guy and doesn't coach football.

I never said Auburn was actually doing that...I was talking about message board fans, and there are many of them, that are hellbent on getting their latest boyhood hero on staff here.

Who knows who the better hires were, we didn't hire them so we can never know. We do know that we are not getting great results from the WRs and the D this year. We'll see how it shakes out next year...hopefully for the better or it'll get messy. I'd also venture to guess that Garner got a pass last year b/c he's an "Auburn man"....though it's evident his group has not stepped up in 3 years (for whatever reason).

The LB coach under Tuberville that left to go to bama. From talking to fans, he apparently he still owes people money and has cheated with everyone's wife, and hates puppies.

>>>Anyway this is probably not the place for this thread, so feel free to delete if need be <<<

Archived