So many gun threads...

Mims44

No links, looking for peoples actual opinions.

What should our gun laws be? Everyone has some restrictions in mind on how American citizens should be able to arm themselves, looking for what you guys think. (not looking for links, but your own opinion)

Everyone gets a pistol, rifle, shotgun, canon, tank, other sillyness, etc etc?

No one gets anything ever?

Somewhere in between?

restrictions on criminals? the insane?

Bout to head out, so I'll fill in my 2cents later.

EDIT: The reason I wanted to ask is all these threads and it's mostly just "We want more restrictions" and "We don't want more"

And I don't see many actually outlining what they think would be a good plan.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a problem with 30 round magazines in the M4s that are on the streets. One shouldn't need 30 rounds for one home defense incident unless we are talking zombies. If they did need 30 rounds, they shouldn't be owning guns period.

Generally, I have a problem with semi automatic weapons being on the streets but I'm not going to ask to take them up. Possessing an AR or m4 is not a home defense weapon at night unless you got it tricked up with night lights, tracers, laser, etc. The perfect weapon for home invasions are shotguns because I can spray some bullets once the intruder hits the fatal funnel. M4s are horrible for hunting so what is their purpose on the civilian side?

I mean if I was hunting, I'd take a rifle that was more accurate from 300 meters out or something like that with a bigger bullet than .556.

The right to bear arms is a fundamental right of the US Citizen. That said I have no problem with restrictions that are smart, sound and strictly enforced. My problem with the discussion has to do with overreach and the ideological breakdown of the Constitution. I like the 21 and older requirement for handguns. I like the background checks and I don't mind restrictions for felons and the mentally ill (but it has to be sound and concise). I don't have a problem with some of the restrictions involving magazine minimums (even though it won't stop someone from using multiple 10 round clips, etc.).

My biggest problem is a lack of trust that I have with legislatures. Every scenario is played out in the political realm and not in the areas of common sense. Criminals will get the weapons they want because there's no way to round up all the guns already out there in the United States. At the end of the day the only people who have to suffer the consequences of the criminal intent is the law abiding.

"So many gun threads....."

So you felt you should start another? :rolleyes:

Let's just pull up an old one - from the dozens of examples - and re-read it.

Well that was my point homer, so many threads but I did not read anyone giving THEIR opinion. AUTiger and AUjeffs replies above give much more insight to what people want than those threads redundant retard posts. I know some posts are good, but majority might as well be in all caps screaming "side A" or "side B"

As for my viewpoint, I have no problem with standard magazine sizes, I would consider 30 a standard for an AR. That being said, it's not an important point for me.

Felons with violent crimes should lose the right to carry, mentally ill should have holds placed on them until clear.

A lot of what AUTiger said basically, except I don't have the belief they would ever take firearms away. We probably have more combat experienced veterans armed in the civilian populace than we do current troops, would be very hard to enforce a law taking away their right to arm themselves.

I'm not seeing AUtiger's post. Somebody has some splaining to do.

And 30 is standard for an AR but that doesn't mean they should be on the streets. If in a theatre shooting, waiting for a reload to tackle after 15 rounds can save more lives than waiting for the 30th. Why do you need that extra 15? You were military. We zeroed in at three shots at a time. That is five reiterations. Are you planning on putting 30 rounds into a doe on your back forty?

Lol since things like eliminating the boyfriend loop were met with you crazy leftist bastard you will disarms good Americans and arm the bad ones. This is my contribution:

p1923ms0pvfes1moo1qs015vs63n4.png

I may regret this, but I'll bite.

I would like to go back to having a ban on assault weapons, which I would define as automatic weapons. I really don't have a problem with SA weapons. I would be open to a magazine size restriction, although I would like to hear more about where to draw the line. 30 round magazines sound high, but again, I would be open to discussing where the line should be.

Would like to see universal background checks. A prohibition on felons to own guns. Again, here, I might be willing to compromise on certain non-violent felonies (AKA wire fraud or something). Honestly, I have a little heartburn on the mentally ill portion, mostly because I think it is way too hard to define. Are we talking about serious mental conditions like schizophrenia, which often require very strong medications and sometimes even prolonged hospitalization or are we talking about depression, where it can be serious enough for hospitalization or can be seasonal, conditional, etc. Same thing with anxiety disorders. Also, who determines your mental condition? It sounds all so black and white until you really start diving into the details and I think it is way too gray to enforce.

I would like to see registration of guns, much like cars. I think there should be a national database searchable by law enforcement, and there should be a requirement to register your weapon.

On enforcement, all restrictions should be strictly enforced. I also think there should remain a ban on guns at schools, places of worship, and government property. I also have major problems with the fact that there is an open discouragement regarding government funded gun violence research. I would also like to see the ATF strengthened and would like to see manufacturers encouraged to move toward more safety advancements, these help even responsible gun owners remain safe.

1. on my list is verify your mental disposition, criminal record and safety training. flag mental disorders and retest 2 year intervals. close private loopholes and stop the sale of 1000s of rounds of ammo online.

2. much less than the first,but eliminate high capacity mags. access the users intents and purposes. just walking in a gun store and evesdropping on random conversations is a disturbing experience. people are batshit crazy. they sell 5 gallon buckets of survival food like they are expecting an invasion.

3. 1. and 2. make too much sense to try to change and implement in this day and age. although i agree with some common sense changes, it will never happen. so i don't get too wrapped up in it anymore.

The ironic thing is that if you have to be mentally or medically cleared to own a weapon, many battle hardened veterans will not pass it to own a weapon.

I'm not seeing AUtiger's post. Somebody has some splaining to do.

And 30 is standard for an AR but that doesn't mean they should be on the streets. If in a theatre shooting, waiting for a reload to tackle after 15 rounds can save more lives than waiting for the 30th. Why do you need that extra 15? You were military. We zeroed in at three shots at a time. That is five reiterations. Are you planning on putting 30 rounds into a doe on your back forty?

Like I said, it's not really a sticking point for me, we like setting it up like qualifying, but we could easily use double 15 round mags instead.

I was really just thinking of how we use them, whole family is or was in the military. We have contests for accuracy every now and then. We don't hunt, shooting people causes much less emotional stress on my family than shooting animals for whatever weird ass reason.

I would like to go back to having a ban on assault weapons, which I would define as automatic weapons. I really don't have a problem with SA weapons. I would be open to a magazine size restriction, although I would like to hear more about where to draw the line. 30 round magazines sound high, but again, I would be open to discussing where the line should be. No such thing as a "Non" assault weapon. If you "assault" someone then it is then an "assault" weapon regardless of whether or not it is an auto, semi-auto, or single shot. Automatic firearms cannot be sold to the general public unless you have a license to purchase and own. The ATF regulates that already. I've already stated my magazine opinion.

Would like to see universal background checks. A prohibition on felons to own guns. Again, here, I might be willing to compromise on certain non-violent felonies (AKA wire fraud or something). Honestly, I have a little heartburn on the mentally ill portion, mostly because I think it is way too hard to define. Are we talking about serious mental conditions like schizophrenia, which often require very strong medications and sometimes even prolonged hospitalization or are we talking about depression, where it can be serious enough for hospitalization or can be seasonal, conditional, etc. Same thing with anxiety disorders. Also, who determines your mental condition? It sounds all so black and white until you really start diving into the details and I think it is way too gray to enforce. I am against "universal" background checks but I don't think a gun show should be able to escape the same background check that a firearms retailer already has to abide by. I don't think a personal transaction between two parties should be included.

I would like to see registration of guns, much like cars. I think there should be a national database searchable by law enforcement, and there should be a requirement to register your weapon. I do not! If you purchased a firearm from a licensed dealer it is already "registered" by way of transaction. If I buy a shotgun from my buddy Joe it is none of the governments business. I believe this would be a source of infringement. A car is not a constitutional right that is protected from infringement.

On enforcement, all restrictions should be strictly enforced. I also think there should remain a ban on guns at schools, places of worship, and government property. I also have major problems with the fact that there is an open discouragement regarding government funded gun violence research. I would also like to see the ATF strengthened and would like to see manufacturers encouraged to move toward more safety advancements, these help even responsible gun owners remain safe. Enforcement is always a problem with laws these days....subject to interpretation depending on who is the POTUS.

Nothing above fixes anything....only feel good measures. Morality and societal change is the best methodology to decreasing violent crime with a firearm.

I would like to go back to having a ban on assault weapons, which I would define as automatic weapons. I really don't have a problem with SA weapons. I would be open to a magazine size restriction, although I would like to hear more about where to draw the line. 30 round magazines sound high, but again, I would be open to discussing where the line should be. No such thing as a "Non" assault weapon. If you "assault" someone then it is then an "assault" weapon regardless of whether or not it is an auto, semi-auto, or single shot. Automatic firearms cannot be sold to the general public unless you have a license to purchase and own. The ATF regulates that already. I've already stated my magazine opinion.

Well that's cute response based on semantics, but I think she is referring to military designs with detachable mags. Those are commonly referred to as "assault rifles". (And the semi vs. auto capability is a red herring as far as classifying it.)

(BTW, my only rifle is a BAR in .270 Winchester.)

Would like to see universal background checks. A prohibition on felons to own guns. Again, here, I might be willing to compromise on certain non-violent felonies (AKA wire fraud or something). Honestly, I have a little heartburn on the mentally ill portion, mostly because I think it is way too hard to define. Are we talking about serious mental conditions like schizophrenia, which often require very strong medications and sometimes even prolonged hospitalization or are we talking about depression, where it can be serious enough for hospitalization or can be seasonal, conditional, etc. Same thing with anxiety disorders. Also, who determines your mental condition? It sounds all so black and white until you really start diving into the details and I think it is way too gray to enforce. I am against "universal" background checks but I don't think a gun show should be able to escape the same background check that a firearms retailer already has to abide by. I don't think a personal transaction between two parties should be included.

I would like to see registration of guns, much like cars. I think there should be a national database searchable by law enforcement, and there should be a requirement to register your weapon. I do not! If you purchased a firearm from a licensed dealer it is already "registered" by way of transaction. If I buy a shotgun from my buddy Joe it is none of the governments business. I believe this would be a source of infringement. A car is not a constitutional right that is protected from infringement.

This is nothing in the second amendment that precludes universal registration.

And I don't get the logic of being against an effective universal registration program while supporting a half-assed law full of loopholes.

I would like to go back to having a ban on assault weapons, which I would define as automatic weapons. I really don't have a problem with SA weapons. I would be open to a magazine size restriction, although I would like to hear more about where to draw the line. 30 round magazines sound high, but again, I would be open to discussing where the line should be. No such thing as a "Non" assault weapon. If you "assault" someone then it is then an "assault" weapon regardless of whether or not it is an auto, semi-auto, or single shot. Automatic firearms cannot be sold to the general public unless you have a license to purchase and own. The ATF regulates that already. I've already stated my magazine opinion. Typically assault weapons are military grade automatic weapons. For the purposes of my comments above, that's the definition I'm going with and stand by my position. No one outside the military needs access to these weapons.

Would like to see universal background checks. A prohibition on felons to own guns. Again, here, I might be willing to compromise on certain non-violent felonies (AKA wire fraud or something). Honestly, I have a little heartburn on the mentally ill portion, mostly because I think it is way too hard to define. Are we talking about serious mental conditions like schizophrenia, which often require very strong medications and sometimes even prolonged hospitalization or are we talking about depression, where it can be serious enough for hospitalization or can be seasonal, conditional, etc. Same thing with anxiety disorders. Also, who determines your mental condition? It sounds all so black and white until you really start diving into the details and I think it is way too gray to enforce. I am against "universal" background checks but I don't think a gun show should be able to escape the same background check that a firearms retailer already has to abide by. I don't think a personal transaction between two parties should be included. I agree with your opinion on personal transactions/

I would like to see registration of guns, much like cars. I think there should be a national database searchable by law enforcement, and there should be a requirement to register your weapon. I do not! If you purchased a firearm from a licensed dealer it is already "registered" by way of transaction. If I buy a shotgun from my buddy Joe it is none of the governments business. I believe this would be a source of infringement. A car is not a constitutional right that is protected from infringement. I think registration also helps protect responsible gun-owners. It allows registered weapons to be declared lost or stolen, allows for purchases to be tracked so that illegal purchases are more easily found. I think it just makes sense.

On enforcement, all restrictions should be strictly enforced. I also think there should remain a ban on guns at schools, places of worship, and government property. I also have major problems with the fact that there is an open discouragement regarding government funded gun violence research. I would also like to see the ATF strengthened and would like to see manufacturers encouraged to move toward more safety advancements, these help even responsible gun owners remain safe. Enforcement is always a problem with laws these days....subject to interpretation depending on who is the POTUS.

Nothing above fixes anything....only feel good measures. Morality and societal change is the best methodology to decreasing violent crime with a firearm.

This is nothing in the second amendment that precludes universal registration.

And I don't get the logic of being against an effective universal registration program while supporting a half-assed law full of loopholes.

This.

I have a problem with 30 round magazines in the M4s that are on the streets. One shouldn't need 30 rounds for one home defense incident unless we are talking zombies. If they did need 30 rounds, they shouldn't be owning guns period.

Generally, I have a problem with semi automatic weapons being on the streets but I'm not going to ask to take them up. Possessing an AR or m4 is not a home defense weapon at night unless you got it tricked up with night lights, tracers, laser, etc. The perfect weapon for home invasions are shotguns because I can spray some bullets once the intruder hits the fatal funnel. M4s are horrible for hunting so what is their purpose on the civilian side?

I mean if I was hunting, I'd take a rifle that was more accurate from 300 meters out or something like that with a bigger bullet than .556.

I have been making well placed shots with .223 rounds at 600 yards + with iron sights for over 30 years. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. It is the perfect cartridge. Shotguns are for *****'s who can't aim at night when scared by Zombies...30 round magazine, 30 dead Zombies on the front porch....

Archived