So many gun threads...

Mims44

I may regret this, but I'll bite.

I would like to go back to having a ban on assault weapons, which I would define as automatic weapons. I really don't have a problem with SA weapons. I would be open to a magazine size restriction, although I would like to hear more about where to draw the line. 30 round magazines sound high, but again, I would be open to discussing where the line should be. No such thing as a "Non" assault weapon. If you "assault" someone then it is then an "assault" weapon regardless of whether or not it is an auto, semi-auto, or single shot. Automatic firearms cannot be sold to the general public unless you have a license to purchase and own. The ATF regulates that already. I've already stated my magazine opinion.

Well that's cute response based on semantics, but I think she is referring to military designs with detachable mags. Those are commonly referred to as "assault rifles". (And the semi vs. auto capability is a red herring as far as calling it what it is.)

(BTW, my only rifle is a BAR in .270 Winchester.)

What do you classify a Marlin 22 magnum with an 18 round tube magazine?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not seeing AUtiger's post. Somebody has some splaining to do.

And 30 is standard for an AR but that doesn't mean they should be on the streets. If in a theatre shooting, waiting for a reload to tackle after 15 rounds can save more lives than waiting for the 30th. Why do you need that extra 15? You were military. We zeroed in at three shots at a time. That is five reiterations. Are you planning on putting 30 rounds into a doe on your back forty?

1 round for the do; 29 for the jackasses that want to take my weapons.

I have a problem with 30 round magazines in the M4s that are on the streets. One shouldn't need 30 rounds for one home defense incident unless we are talking zombies. If they did need 30 rounds, they shouldn't be owning guns period.

Generally, I have a problem with semi automatic weapons being on the streets but I'm not going to ask to take them up. Possessing an AR or m4 is not a home defense weapon at night unless you got it tricked up with night lights, tracers, laser, etc. The perfect weapon for home invasions are shotguns because I can spray some bullets once the intruder hits the fatal funnel. M4s are horrible for hunting so what is their purpose on the civilian side?

I mean if I was hunting, I'd take a rifle that was more accurate from 300 meters out or something like that with a bigger bullet than .556.

I have been making well placed shots with .223 rounds at 600 yards + with iron sights for over 30 years. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. It is the perfect cartridge. Shotguns are for *****'s who can't aim at night when scared by Zombies...30 round magazine, 30 dead Zombies on the front porch....

shotguns are for CQB. And I'm sure any internet cowboy can talk the macho man talk like you do.

And 30 is standard for an AR but that doesn't mean they should be on the streets. If in a theatre shooting, waiting for a reload to tackle after 15 rounds can save more lives than waiting for the 30th. Why do you need that extra 15? You were military. We zeroed in at three shots at a time. That is five reiterations. Are you planning on putting 30 rounds into a doe on your back forty?

Violence is not the answer. Grrr

I have a problem with 30 round magazines in the M4s that are on the streets. One shouldn't need 30 rounds for one home defense incident unless we are talking zombies. If they did need 30 rounds, they shouldn't be owning guns period.

Generally, I have a problem with semi automatic weapons being on the streets but I'm not going to ask to take them up. Possessing an AR or m4 is not a home defense weapon at night unless you got it tricked up with night lights, tracers, laser, etc. The perfect weapon for home invasions are shotguns because I can spray some bullets once the intruder hits the fatal funnel. M4s are horrible for hunting so what is their purpose on the civilian side?

I mean if I was hunting, I'd take a rifle that was more accurate from 300 meters out or something like that with a bigger bullet than .556.

I have been making well placed shots with .223 rounds at 600 yards + with iron sights for over 30 years. Ammo is cheap and plentiful. It is the perfect cartridge. Shotguns are for *****'s who can't aim at night when scared by Zombies...30 round magazine, 30 dead Zombies on the front porch....

Is this the part where we all start bragging?

Yeah, a high powered rifle is just the weapon for home defense. Take out the bad guy along with a few of your family or neighbors. :-\

But it sounds as if you are part of the 'apocalyptic' cult, who are part of the problem.

You're right...it isn't...so stop trying to take my weapons or magazines or ammo or any of the items you clowns like to target and there won't be any violence. There are ~329,000,000 of us that just want to be left the hell alone to enjoy hunting, recreational shooting, 3-gun, etc. The fact that you can't understand it is irrelevant. It is my right and as the left likes to say; that is settled law.

55% of all violent crimes are committed by approx 3% of the US population (18-35 year old black males); and in 95% of the cases they used a handgun (to kill 18 - 35 year old black males). Nothing mentioned in this thread will have any impact on this. If you really want to stop a large number of murders with guns; buy targeting the smallest most manageable population then go after this group. They largely live in 12 major urban areas and are the poster boys for liberal policies run amok...oops..not likely to happen huh, because then both parties would have to admit they caused the conditions that created the real problems. So instead of doing something hard and meaningful, you want to do something useless to the real problem but what you perceive as relatively easier...that is, restrict the rights of the law abiding in the name of public safety and security.

If you are coming to TX, let me know and I would be happy to take you to the range.

I would like to go back to having a ban on assault weapons, which I would define as automatic weapons. I really don't have a problem with SA weapons. I would be open to a magazine size restriction, although I would like to hear more about where to draw the line. 30 round magazines sound high, but again, I would be open to discussing where the line should be. No such thing as a "Non" assault weapon. If you "assault" someone then it is then an "assault" weapon regardless of whether or not it is an auto, semi-auto, or single shot. Automatic firearms cannot be sold to the general public unless you have a license to purchase and own. The ATF regulates that already. I've already stated my magazine opinion.

Well that's cute response based on semantics, but I think she is referring to military designs with detachable mags. Those are commonly referred to as "assault rifles". (And the semi vs. auto capability is a red herring as far as calling it what it is.)

As a semi-auto conceptually similar to any other semi with a tubular magazine.

Look, I am perfectly aware of the tactical capabilities of conventional sporting firearms. Imagine how much havoc a bad guy could reek with a auto-loading 12 ga and a bandoleer of buckshot.

So, what was your point again?

Yeah, a high powered rifle is just the weapon for home defense. Take out the bad guy along with a few of your family or neighbors. :-\

But it sounds as if you are part of the 'apocalyptic' cult, who are part of the problem.

No, it's not bragging....it is a simple statement based on over 30 years of practice and shooting in all conditions.

Now, who is this murderous apocalyptic cult that is committing all these crimes you reference? Man, you guys kill me...you're just making s*** up now. Homey, when you just simply don't know what you're talking about, you should just say silent.

You're right...it isn't...so stop trying to take my weapons or magazines or ammo or any of the items you clowns like to target and there won't be any violence.

Blah blah blah..

I bet that felt good didn't it? ;)

ask the a**holes who prefer ar15's with multiple 30 or 100 round detachable mags stuffed in their tactical gear, who kill strangers randomly why they didn't prefer youf Marlin squirrel gun.

Look, I am perfectly aware of the tactical capabilities of conventional sporting firearms. Imagine how much havoc a bad guy could reek with a auto-loading 12 ga and a bandoleer of buckshot.

My point is you clowns wanting to restrict the rights of the law abiding are pointless. If you are truly aware of the tactical capabilities of conventional sporting firearms; (which a Marlin .22 with a tube magazine really isn't) then witless attempts to address the problem of "urban males killing other urban males with handguns" with the classification of conventional sporting rifles as the "mythical assault weapons" is non-sensical. First off, as is rather obvious to anyone who is actually involved with the topic, any rifle is an assault rifle if you want it to be. Secondly, doing something to rifles has nothing to do with what accounts for 90% of murders...so your aim can't really be to have an impact on murder rates.

So just come out and say your just really don't like the idea of people having guns and you want to take them away. Stop trying to hide behind the pretext of really trying to do anything to murder rates....there are far bigger causes of death than mythical assault weapons wielded by mythical apocalyptic cult members. In fact, the only mythical apocalyptic cult members I remember actually used cool-aid and cyanide...not those evil assault weapons. It's a wonder I survived, huh.

No, it's not bragging....it is a simple statement based on over 30 years of practice and shooting in all conditions.

Now, who is this murderous apocalyptic cult that is committing all these crimes you reference? Man, you guys kill me...you're just making s*** up now. Homey, when you just simply don't know what you're talking about, you should just say silent.

You are the one who brought up Zombies, which is the perfect metaphor for what I am talking about. You have these guns primarily because they are toys. A hobby. I completely relate to that.

It's the obsession with the idea that there is a practical need for these weapons that is troubling to me. It makes about as much sense as defining RPGs as "arms".

Like I said I can relate to all of this. I grew up using guns as toys. I used to spotlight rats at the open waste dump - now under Barber Motorsports Track - from the back of a pickup with a .22 auto or .410 with 4 or 5 other guys.

Finally, the idea of someone who defends their home with a 30 round capacity assault rifle claiming it's me who doesn't know they are talking about is hilarious. You apparently don't know what you are doing.

My point is you clowns wanting to restrict the rights of the law abiding are pointless.

Gun registration no more "restricts the rights of the law-abiding" than registration of vehicles.

ask the a**holes who prefer ar15's with multiple 30 or 100 round detachable mags stuffed in their tactical gear, who kill strangers randomly why they didn't prefer youf Marlin squirrel gun.

Per the CDC and FBI studies referenced in many of these recent posts...out of the total of about 12k annual murders...8k committed with some type of firearms, a total of 248 murders were committed with any type of rifle..this includes single shot, AR types, standard bolt action hunting rifles. The evil AR15 is used less than shotguns in fact...AR 15 and AK's are actually not very popular with criminals

Oh, and the same study indicated that guns are used over 300 times more often to stop a crime....that means that there are nearly 2.5m crimes prevented by weapons vs the 8k murders. Again guys, drop the pretense.

You are the one who brought up Zombies, which is the perfect metaphor for what I am talking about. You have these guns primarily because they are toys. A hobby. I completely relate to that.

It's the obsession with the idea that there is a practical need for these weapons that is troubling to me. It makes about as much sense as defining RPGs as "arms".

Like I said I can relate to all of this. I grew up using guns as toys. I used to spotlight rats at the open waste dump - now under Barber Motorsports Track - from the back of a pickup with a .22 auto or .410 with 4 or 5 other guys.

Finally, the idea of someone who defends their home with a 30 round capacity assault rifle claiming it's me who doesn't know they are talking about is hilarious. You apparently don't know what you are doing.

Homey, you're obviously having trouble reading again...Jeffy brought up Zombie attacks...once you go to Zombies, what do you expect the responses to be like? Want to have a serious discussion, post serious comments.

Per the CDC and FBI studies referenced in many of these recent posts...out of the total of about 12k annual murders...8k committed with some type of firearms, a total of 248 murders were committed with any type of rifle..this includes single shot, AR types, standard bolt action hunting rifles. The evil AR15 is used less than shotguns in fact...AR 15 and AK's are actually not very popular with criminals

Oh, and the same study indicated that guns are used over 300 times more often to stop a crime....that means that there are nearly 2.5m crimes prevented by weapons vs the 8k murders. Again guys, drop the pretense.

ok never mind, everyone should have one.

At last we agree.

At last we agree.

i bought a raffle ticket on one recently. I just want to keep it out of the mentally disturbed hands. And i am preparing for the zombie outbreak.

At last we agree.

i bought a raffle ticket on one recently. I just want to keep it out of the mentally disturbed hands. And i am preparing for the zombie outbreak.

:hellyeah:

Yeah, a high powered rifle is just the weapon for home defense. Take out the bad guy along with a few of your family or neighbors. :-\/>

Homey, you're obviously having trouble reading again...Jeffy brought up Zombie attacks...once you go to Zombies, what do you expect the responses to be like? Want to have a serious discussion, post serious comments.

Jeffy.....really? Don't be queer man. And I was being facetious, making a point that having an AR will not do you any good unless you think there are really zombies coming for you.

Actually the 22 mag would be preferable if it had detachable mags. If it would penetrate the walkers' skulls? Maybe striknine would know? Ammo would be much lighter to carry and noise would be less. Don't want to draw them to you.

Would like to see universal background checks. A prohibition on felons to own guns. Again, here, I might be willing to compromise on certain non-violent felonies (AKA wire fraud or something). Honestly, I have a little heartburn on the mentally ill portion, mostly because I think it is way too hard to define. Are we talking about serious mental conditions like schizophrenia, which often require very strong medications and sometimes even prolonged hospitalization or are we talking about depression, where it can be serious enough for hospitalization or can be seasonal, conditional, etc. Same thing with anxiety disorders. Also, who determines your mental condition? It sounds all so black and white until you really start diving into the details and I think it is way too gray to enforce. I am against "universal" background checks but I don't think a gun show should be able to escape the same background check that a firearms retailer already has to abide by. I don't think a personal transaction between two parties should be included.

I would like to see registration of guns, much like cars. I think there should be a national database searchable by law enforcement, and there should be a requirement to register your weapon. I do not! If you purchased a firearm from a licensed dealer it is already "registered" by way of transaction. If I buy a shotgun from my buddy Joe it is none of the governments business. I believe this would be a source of infringement. A car is not a constitutional right that is protected from infringement.

This is nothing in the second amendment that precludes universal registration.

And I don't get the logic of being against an effective universal registration program while supporting a half-assed law full of loopholes.

It's not about YOUR logic, homer. I don't need you to request what you already know of my stance on the 2nd Ammendment because everyone here already knows it. I'm dead set against "universal" registration. Besides, how many drug runners and hardened criminals will show up to register their guns? Zero.......

You're right...it isn't...so stop trying to take my weapons or magazines or ammo or any of the items you clowns like to target and there won't be any violence. There are ~329,000,000 of us that just want to be left the hell alone to enjoy hunting, recreational shooting, 3-gun, etc. The fact that you can't understand it is irrelevant. It is my right and as the left likes to say; that is settled law.

55% of all violent crimes are committed by approx 3% of the US population (18-35 year old black males); and in 95% of the cases they used a handgun (to kill 18 - 35 year old black males). Nothing mentioned in this thread will have any impact on this. If you really want to stop a large number of murders with guns; buy targeting the smallest most manageable population then go after this group. They largely live in 12 major urban areas and are the poster boys for liberal policies run amok...oops..not likely to happen huh, because then both parties would have to admit they caused the conditions that created the real problems. So instead of doing something hard and meaningful, you want to do something useless to the real problem but what you perceive as relatively easier...that is, restrict the rights of the law abiding in the name of public safety and security.

If you are coming to TX, let me know and I would be happy to take you to the range.

Game. Set. Match.

OK, you were the one that mentioned Zombies. :-\

Archived