So many gun threads...

Mims44

I may regret this, but I'll bite.

I would like to go back to having a ban on assault weapons, which I would define as automatic weapons. I really don't have a problem with SA weapons. I would be open to a magazine size restriction, although I would like to hear more about where to draw the line. 30 round magazines sound high, but again, I would be open to discussing where the line should be. No such thing as a "Non" assault weapon. If you "assault" someone then it is then an "assault" weapon regardless of whether or not it is an auto, semi-auto, or single shot. Automatic firearms cannot be sold to the general public unless you have a license to purchase and own. The ATF regulates that already. I've already stated my magazine opinion.

Would like to see universal background checks. A prohibition on felons to own guns. Again, here, I might be willing to compromise on certain non-violent felonies (AKA wire fraud or something). Honestly, I have a little heartburn on the mentally ill portion, mostly because I think it is way too hard to define. Are we talking about serious mental conditions like schizophrenia, which often require very strong medications and sometimes even prolonged hospitalization or are we talking about depression, where it can be serious enough for hospitalization or can be seasonal, conditional, etc. Same thing with anxiety disorders. Also, who determines your mental condition? It sounds all so black and white until you really start diving into the details and I think it is way too gray to enforce. I am against "universal" background checks but I don't think a gun show should be able to escape the same background check that a firearms retailer already has to abide by. I don't think a personal transaction between two parties should be included.

I would like to see registration of guns, much like cars. I think there should be a national database searchable by law enforcement, and there should be a requirement to register your weapon. I do not! If you purchased a firearm from a licensed dealer it is already "registered" by way of transaction. If I buy a shotgun from my buddy Joe it is none of the governments business. I believe this would be a source of infringement. A car is not a constitutional right that is protected from infringement.

This is nothing in the second amendment that precludes universal registration.

And I don't get the logic of being against an effective universal registration program while supporting a half-assed law full of loopholes.

It's not about YOUR logic, homer. I don't need you to request what you already know of my stance on the 2nd Ammendment because everyone here already knows it. I'm dead set against "universal" registration. Besides, how many drug runners and hardened criminals will show up to register their guns? Zero.......

Exactly. I was referring to YOUR logic emt.

But you don't have to explain. I understand your position. I don't expect a reasonable justification.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Manufacturer driven, well researched options that do not treat the innocent like criminals are the only ones I'll entertain, because they're the only options that will be subject to market forces and which do not spring forth from the antiquated, treacherous notion that a bunch of crooked old men in suits have any right to tell me what measures I can take to defend me and mine because they duped 50%+1 of the voting public into agreeing.

There's some Korean shop owners in Los Angeles circa April, 1992 who would like to talk about why magazine restrictions are a bad idea.

As has already been alluded to, in order to strike at the root of the problem, we have to get better in our hearts and minds.

Maybe you mean an AR wouldn't do you any good Jeffy..

So you shoot it at a target or at birds like a little kid. Oh, the possibilities. M4s and AR's are meant for war. They can be mass casualty weapons and they should be banned.

And, since you, macho man, have everything figured out, how do you plan to fix the hearts and minds if that is the real problem? And what has your party done to make that happen? I'll hang up.

So you shoot it at a target or at birds like a little kid. Oh, the possibilities. M4s and AR's are meant for war. They can be mass casualty weapons and they should be banned.

And, since you, macho man, have everything figured out, how do you plan to fix the hearts and minds if that is the real problem? And what has your party done to make that happen? I'll hang up.

Of course....... what the US needs is people parading their children with assault rifles through premier dining and shopping districts in Dallas where they were banned.

1016959_827881437239423_2352525012005991763_n.jpg?oh=4e09d925e34f7d713a514af06efdf808&oe=56C87A2E

I do not support any restrictions on magazine size or types of semi-automatic weapons. As I have said before, the solution to our problems does not lie in getting rid of AR's and AK's, or 30-round magazines. I have no problem with the current legal process that one must go through to legally possess automatic weapons, though I am not a fan of the 1986 cutoff point and the ridiculous prices it has created.

What I do have a problem with is that it is easier to buy and sell a firearm than it is a car. I support the creation of a licensing system where said license is required to purchase, possess, or sell a firearm. Possession of a firearm without a license should be a felony. I would consider the current restrictions on who can posses firearms to be sufficient, but something realistic must be devised to prevent the mentally ill from having access to firearms. Basically all states can update driver's license validity rather quickly, so a licensing system for firearms should not be terribly difficult.

As a resident of Georgia, I can legally sell all but my automatic weapons to any other Georgia resident that has the cash with no questions asked. No paperwork or background check is necessary. The same is true if I choose to privately sell weapons at a gun show. I think that is the primary source of how firearms get into the wrong hands.

I would consider the current restrictions on who can posses firearms to be sufficient, but something realistic must be devised to prevent the mentally ill from having access to firearms. Basically all states can update driver's license validity rather quickly, so a licensing system for firearms should not be terribly difficult.

In principle, this sounds reasonable, but how does one define "mentally ill". Also, what about temporary mental issues (depression that's situation or seasonal?). I guess I feel like it's a pretty broad brush. I look at the Aurora shooter, the Arizona shooter, and the recent Charleston shooter. Almost everyone argues that they were mentally ill. Assuming that's correct, how would they have been prevented from having a weapon without a diagnosis that one would be aware of. Many don't choose to even get treatment, and thus have never been officially diagnosed as having a mental illness. Contrary, there could be people who want treatment but choose not to continue or refuse to start treatment as they are scared of diagnoses that could prevent them from owning or even giving up legal firearms they already possess. Privacy issues here are also a real concern for me. Who gets to see my medical records? Who makes the determination on what illnesses constitute a threat and ones that aren't? It just seems way too gray for me.

What has EITHER party done to make that happen? And BTW (I know you won't like this), the ball and musket of the 1770's would be considered a military grade weapon in today's standard. We were given the right to arms for more than just killing a few squirrels in the forest. That said I don't have a problem with banning automatic firearms but there's not a lot of difference between a .22 cal Marlin tube fed rifle and an AR platform .22 caliber semi. It's the person behind the trigger that makes all this an issue.

I may regret this, but I'll bite.

I would like to go back to having a ban on assault weapons, which I would define as automatic weapons. I really don't have a problem with SA weapons. I would be open to a magazine size restriction, although I would like to hear more about where to draw the line. 30 round magazines sound high, but again, I would be open to discussing where the line should be. No such thing as a "Non" assault weapon. If you "assault" someone then it is then an "assault" weapon regardless of whether or not it is an auto, semi-auto, or single shot. Automatic firearms cannot be sold to the general public unless you have a license to purchase and own. The ATF regulates that already. I've already stated my magazine opinion.

Would like to see universal background checks. A prohibition on felons to own guns. Again, here, I might be willing to compromise on certain non-violent felonies (AKA wire fraud or something). Honestly, I have a little heartburn on the mentally ill portion, mostly because I think it is way too hard to define. Are we talking about serious mental conditions like schizophrenia, which often require very strong medications and sometimes even prolonged hospitalization or are we talking about depression, where it can be serious enough for hospitalization or can be seasonal, conditional, etc. Same thing with anxiety disorders. Also, who determines your mental condition? It sounds all so black and white until you really start diving into the details and I think it is way too gray to enforce. I am against "universal" background checks but I don't think a gun show should be able to escape the same background check that a firearms retailer already has to abide by. I don't think a personal transaction between two parties should be included.

I would like to see registration of guns, much like cars. I think there should be a national database searchable by law enforcement, and there should be a requirement to register your weapon. I do not! If you purchased a firearm from a licensed dealer it is already "registered" by way of transaction. If I buy a shotgun from my buddy Joe it is none of the governments business. I believe this would be a source of infringement. A car is not a constitutional right that is protected from infringement.

This is nothing in the second amendment that precludes universal registration.

And I don't get the logic of being against an effective universal registration program while supporting a half-assed law full of loopholes.

It's not about YOUR logic, homer. I don't need you to request what you already know of my stance on the 2nd Ammendment because everyone here already knows it. I'm dead set against "universal" registration. Besides, how many drug runners and hardened criminals will show up to register their guns? Zero.......

Exactly. I was referring to YOUR logic emt.

But you don't have to explain. I understand your position. I don't expect a reasonable justification.

Reasonable in your head is different in mine. You keep touting that !#@% like your position is the only one that's right. It's not.

Jeffy, I shoot at birds with my shotguns; dove season just over and yes, I had a good time with my friends and working this with my boys...I prefer duck and quail...planning on another Argentina hunt in July (their winter)...and have a buddy that wants to shoot sand cranes in North TX in December...never done that...and it sounds like a load of fun... As for targets, well, yes. It requires focus, concentration, precision, adapting to different conditions, and good old fashion fun. Working with your kids is just a hoot and I love seeing their improvement, confidence and understanding. I use various weapons from my AR (you know, what all us apocalytpic cult mass casualty guys use...I suppose you've read about all the mass casualties I've inflicted...wait, no? No s***.) to my favorite M12 .270...

I shoot out to 200 yards on my land and go to the gun club for long range (600 +) and to work with the dogs. I don't get to do 3-Gun like I used to...just a lot going on with work travel and the kids...so that is on the back burner. I have several team members that are quite accomplished in this...I get to live thru them now. One of the guys is winning regional competitions now...he is quite good. Most of my outdoor and spare time is with the boys...nothing like it.

As for macho-ness, you keep wanting to introduce irrelevant things like zombies and marcho-ness...feeling inadequate or do you think that is really an insult or jab? Ouch, I'm wounded...you win... we all know that Fernando Lamas, David Jansen or Jack Lord are the most macho....

As for the heart, I would start by dismantling the Federal programs that created the "heart issue" to begin with. When you deprive someone of hope; you've lost them. At that point, I'm not surprised by anything I see or read. We have three driving political forces in this country that deprive young men of the satisfaction of accomplishment and the imperative for self worth. 1) the single payer government run education system....2) the mutli-generational welfare system that almost single-handedly destroyed the urban family 3) Industrial policies that trade cheap imports for American jobs and a growing middle class.

Have discussed these in many other forums. they would be difficult to address given how far down the rabbit hole the political institutions have taken us...but they are not insurmountable or impossible. They just require leadership and a willingness to face hard truths. And none of the issues we have were either caused by guns and none of the proposed "fixes" in these gun control threads will do anything to address these real problems...we throw money at real issues instead of investing time and heart. We're like the divorced parents that want to throw money at the kids because they think it will somehow make up for the brokenness of their family and the damage done to the kids. It just makes things worse.

Jeffy, I shoot at birds with my shotguns; dove season just over and yes, I had a good time with my friends and working this with my boys...I prefer duck and quail...planning on another Argentina hunt in July (their winter)...and have a buddy that wants to shoot sand cranes in North TX in December...never done that...and it sounds like a load of fun... As for targets, well, yes. It requires focus, concentration, precision, adapting to different conditions, and good old fashion fun. Working with your kids is just a hoot and I love seeing their improvement, confidence and understanding. I use various weapons from my AR (you know, what all us apocalytpic cult mass casualty guys use...I suppose you've read about all the mass casualties I've inflicted...wait, no? No s***.) to my favorite M12 .270...

I shoot out to 200 yards on my land and go to the gun club for long range (600 +) and to work with the dogs. I don't get to do 3-Gun like I used to...just a lot going on with work travel and the kids...so that is on the back burner. I have several team members that are quite accomplished in this...I get to live thru them now. One of the guys is winning regional competitions now...he is quite good. Most of my outdoor and spare time is with the boys...nothing like it.

As for macho-ness, you keep wanting to introduce irrelevant things like zombies and marcho-ness...feeling inadequate or do you think that is really an insult or jab? Ouch, I'm wounded...you win... we all know that Fernando Lamas, David Jansen or Jack Lord are the most macho....

As for the heart, I would start by dismantling the Federal programs that created the "heart issue" to begin with. When you deprive someone of hope; you've lost them. At that point, I'm not surprised by anything I see or read. We have three driving political forces in this country that deprive young men of the satisfaction of accomplishment and the imperative for self worth. 1) the single payer government run education system....2) the mutli-generational welfare system that almost single-handedly destroyed the urban family 3) Industrial policies that trade cheap imports for American jobs and a growing middle class.

Have discussed these in many other forums. they would be difficult to address given how far down the rabbit hole the political institutions have taken us...but they are not insurmountable or impossible. They just require leadership and a willingness to face hard truths. And none of the issues we have were either caused by guns and none of the proposed "fixes" in these gun control threads will do anything to address these real problems...we throw money at real issues instead of investing time and heart. We're like the divorced parents that want to throw money at the kids because they think it will somehow make up for the brokenness of their family and the damage done to the kids. It just makes things worse.

:wedance::cheer::happydance::thedeal::trampoline::wavey::yay::starorange: :starorange: :starorange: :starorange: :starorange:

Actually the 22 mag would be preferable if it had detachable mags. If it would penetrate the walkers' skulls? Maybe striknine would know? Ammo would be much lighter to carry and noise would be less. Don't want to draw them to you.

Very good analysis and a lot of good points here...had not considered sound suppression. Not only would the ammo be lighter but so is the weapon. A consideration for sure as I get older....Thanks Alexava... :flag:

Jeffy, I shoot at birds with my shotguns; dove season just over and yes, I had a good time with my friends and working this with my boys...I prefer duck and quail...planning on another Argentina hunt in July (their winter)...and have a buddy that wants to shoot sand cranes in North TX in December...never done that...and it sounds like a load of fun... As for targets, well, yes. It requires focus, concentration, precision, adapting to different conditions, and good old fashion fun. Working with your kids is just a hoot and I love seeing their improvement, confidence and understanding. I use various weapons from my AR (you know, what all us apocalytpic cult mass casualty guys use...I suppose you've read about all the mass casualties I've inflicted...wait, no? No s***.) to my favorite M12 .270. I don't even know what I read. So much pointless and irrelevant stuff that my mind was telling me to stop here. Too bad I didnt listen

I shoot out to 200 yards on my land and go to the gun club for long range (600 +) and to work with the dogs. I don't get to do 3-Gun like I used to...just a lot going on with work travel and the kids...so that is on the back burner. I have several team members that are quite accomplished in this...I get to live thru them now. One of the guys is winning regional competitions now...he is quite good. Most of my outdoor and spare time is with the boys...nothing like it. Nobody cares.

As for macho-ness, you keep wanting to introduce irrelevant things like zombies and marcho-ness...feeling inadequate or do you think that is really an insult or jab? Ouch, I'm wounded...you win... we all know that Fernando Lamas, David Jansen or Jack Lord are the most macho....You said shotguns are for p******. own it. I just wish that I picked up on the fact that you were a nut as well before now.

As for the heart, I would start by dismantling the Federal programs that created the "heart issue" to begin with. When you deprive someone of hope; you've lost them. At that point, I'm not surprised by anything I see or read. We have three driving political forces in this country that deprive young men of the satisfaction of accomplishment and the imperative for self worth. 1) the single payer government run education system....2) the mutli-generational welfare system that almost single-handedly destroyed the urban family 3) Industrial policies that trade cheap imports for American jobs and a growing middle class. ​Even if those were the causes, you would find it easier to blow america up and start from scratch than to attempt to alter the political landscape like that.

Have discussed these in many other forums. they would be difficult to address given how far down the rabbit hole the political institutions have taken us...but they are not insurmountable or impossible. They just require leadership and a willingness to face hard truths. And none of the issues we have were either caused by guns and none of the proposed "fixes" in these gun control threads will do anything to address these real problems...we throw money at real issues instead of investing time and heart. We're like the divorced parents that want to throw money at the kids because they think it will somehow make up for the brokenness of their family and the damage done to the kids. It just makes things worse. ​Are you finding that leadership in our congress right now, ye sensationalist? Is that leadership coming? Nope. Stop the rhetoric. The crime rate may not go down by much but at least the threat of mass slaughter diminishes if the assault rifles cannot being brought into theaters and such.

Actually the 22 mag would be preferable if it had detachable mags. If it would penetrate the walkers' skulls? Maybe striknine would know? Ammo would be much lighter to carry and noise would be less. Don't want to draw them to you.

If a knife can penetrate a walker's skull, I see no reason to not expect a 22 mag to. Skip the 22 mag though, it's nowhere near as readily available in bulk as .22LR is. You need a Ruger 10/22 with a subsonic recoil spring, a suppressor, and subsonic ammo. It's still a 22, so I don't suggest expecting it to be effective at range. If not that, get a crossbow and a few swords.

Strych knows his weapons and he has yet to become an ass bragging about his tactical knowledge or weapons. Something for everybody to notice.

Strych knows his weapons and he has yet to become an ass bragging about his tactical knowledge or weapons. Something for everybody to notice.

I'm a tacticool mall-ninja. That said, we disagree about magazine capacity and AR's or AK's.

I'm a tacticool mall-ninja. That said, we disagree about magazine capacity and AR's or AK's.

I noticed. We will agree to disagree.

If a knife can penetrate a walker's skull, I see no reason to not expect a 22 mag to. Skip the 22 mag though, it's nowhere near as readily available in bulk as .22LR is. You need a Ruger 10/22 with a subsonic recoil spring, a suppressor, and subsonic ammo. It's still a 22, so I don't suggest expecting it to be effective at range. If not that, get a crossbow and a few swords.

yes i plan to get my son a 10-22 for Christmas. i almost got him one this spring but he had a bad report card. so i put it off. i always wanted one. but you could carry thousands of rounds of 22LR ammo. very quiet too.

yes i plan to get my son a 10-22 for Christmas. i almost got him one this spring but he had a bad report card. so i put it off. i always wanted one. but you could carry thousands of rounds of 22LR ammo. very quiet too.

22's are quieter to the shooter than larger calibers, but the crackle of a 22 carries off into the distance like any other gunshot. If you're not using a suppressor and subsonic ammo, nothing is quiet enough.

Jeffy, I shoot at birds with my shotguns; dove season just over and yes, I had a good time with my friends and working this with my boys...I prefer duck and quail...planning on another Argentina hunt in July (their winter)...and have a buddy that wants to shoot sand cranes in North TX in December...never done that...and it sounds like a load of fun... As for targets, well, yes. It requires focus, concentration, precision, adapting to different conditions, and good old fashion fun. Working with your kids is just a hoot and I love seeing their improvement, confidence and understanding. I use various weapons from my AR (you know, what all us apocalytpic cult mass casualty guys use...I suppose you've read about all the mass casualties I've inflicted...wait, no? No s***.) to my favorite M12 .270. I don't even know what I read. So much pointless and irrelevant stuff that my mind was telling me to stop here. Too bad I didnt listen

If you can't keep up, then maybe you shouldn't get into the conversation. See previous comments on usage model of AR's...

I shoot out to 200 yards on my land and go to the gun club for long range (600 +) and to work with the dogs. I don't get to do 3-Gun like I used to...just a lot going on with work travel and the kids...so that is on the back burner. I have several team members that are quite accomplished in this...I get to live thru them now. One of the guys is winning regional competitions now...he is quite good. Most of my outdoor and spare time is with the boys...nothing like it. Nobody cares.

Sorry, didn't realize this message board was limited to topics of your interest. See previous note on not being able to keep up. Maybe you should just put me on ignore since I bore you.

As for macho-ness, you keep wanting to introduce irrelevant things like zombies and marcho-ness...feeling inadequate or do you think that is really an insult or jab? Ouch, I'm wounded...you win... we all know that Fernando Lamas, David Jansen or Jack Lord are the most macho....You said shotguns are for p******. own it. I just wish that I picked up on the fact that you were a nut as well before now.

No, I said shotguns were for *****'s if they were hunting zombies. Wastes ammo...not efficient. For birds, perfectly logical. Again, understand the topic and context of the discussion before commenting.

As for the heart, I would start by dismantling the Federal programs that created the "heart issue" to begin with. When you deprive someone of hope; you've lost them. At that point, I'm not surprised by anything I see or read. We have three driving political forces in this country that deprive young men of the satisfaction of accomplishment and the imperative for self worth. 1) the single payer government run education system....2) the mutli-generational welfare system that almost single-handedly destroyed the urban family 3) Industrial policies that trade cheap imports for American jobs and a growing middle class. ​Even if those were the causes, you would find it easier to blow america up and start from scratch than to attempt to alter the political landscape like that.

If these aren't the causes, what are in your opinion? And no, it is not easier to blow it all up...these are straightforward to deal with. Many of these items are just putting disciplines back in the place that we had prior to 2008...like require job search to receive welfare, etc... Trade policy will require an overhaul of how we focus on education and our view of what good trade policy is...I have heard proposals from many candidates...the first point is don't give away the farm....leverage our huge market and strengths and build trade deals for our benefit not the rest of the worlds... Frankly, your attitude is shocking. Sounds like defeatist bull****.

Have discussed these in many other forums. they would be difficult to address given how far down the rabbit hole the political institutions have taken us...but they are not insurmountable or impossible. They just require leadership and a willingness to face hard truths. And none of the issues we have were either caused by guns and none of the proposed "fixes" in these gun control threads will do anything to address these real problems...we throw money at real issues instead of investing time and heart. We're like the divorced parents that want to throw money at the kids because they think it will somehow make up for the brokenness of their family and the damage done to the kids. It just makes things worse. ​Are you finding that leadership in our congress right now, ye sensationalist? Is that leadership coming? Nope. Stop the rhetoric. First off, the American people lead....they have sent a clear message with turning over both houses and most state legislators and governors offices...the leadership in congress, both the Democrat leadership prior to '12 and the Republican leadership post then have been abysmal. I think Paul Ryan was a decent choice. The verdict is out; he will need to show actual leadership and that he plans to execute the will of the people. The crime rate may not go down by much but at least the threat of mass slaughter diminishes if the assault rifles cannot being brought into theaters and such. The crime rate has been declining for nearly 20 years...Mass slaughter? Do you mean the 1m abortions committed every year in the US? How about the 15,000 abortions that kill 15,000 viable children each year (2x the number of murders committed with firearms). Is that what you are talking about? or are you talking about the mythical slaughter of thousands of Americans by the evil assault weapon (sic)?

22's are quieter to the shooter than larger calibers, but the crackle of a 22 carries off into the distance like any other gunshot. If you're not using a suppressor and subsonic ammo, nothing is quiet enough.

Most refreshing part of any string in the forum in a long time...Bows/swords would be great for solo attacks...they are a bit bulky. I prefer my tomahawk. I've seen bow magazines in the movies; but not one in real life...so I have to assume not practical for mass attacks.

Most refreshing part of any string in the forum in a long time...Bows/swords would be great for solo attacks...they are a bit bulky. I prefer my tomahawk. I've seen bow magazines in the movies; but not one in real life...so I have to assume not practical for mass attacks.

I mentioned bows, swords, and suppressed 22 rifle as if you're concerned with stealth, you're not facing a mass attack. In that sense, your tomahawk would work as well as anything else. It's all about what you can control well. Mass attacks change things considerably, as the focus shifts to projecting firepower quickly over the whole area. If I were an individual facing a mass attack, give me the high ground and something belt-fed. Fortunately, the zombie lacks strategic capability. The living would concern me more than the undead.

I mentioned bows, swords, and suppressed 22 rifle as if you're concerned with stealth, you're not facing a mass attack. In that sense, your tomahawk would work as well as anything else. It's all about what you can control well. Mass attacks change things considerably, as the focus shifts to projecting firepower quickly over the whole area. If I were an individual facing a mass attack, give me the high ground and something belt-fed. Fortunately, the zombie lacks strategic capability. The living would concern me more than the undead.

Priceless

Priceless

In fairness, the Walking Dead wouldn't be very popular if the zombies could devise strategies AND had vastly superior numbers.

Priceless

In fairness, the Walking Dead wouldn't be very popular if the zombies could devise strategies AND had vastly superior numbers.

they can't even turn a door knob.

This probably sounds dumb, I didn't realize so many of you hunted/killed animals. And didn't just own for sport, home defense, collection hobby.

Archived