The Mood of the Auburn Fans Around Me at the Ole Miss Game

BHDAU1

Do you guys honestly believe that Gus will be given another 2 years? We have won 1 SEC game out of the last 8 right? You do remember that Chizik was fired 2 years after winning THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? I know there were some other problems going on with player discipline but I think Gus has one more year tops to turn this around. If you say the buyout is too much then you haven't been paying attention. Auburn alumni have plenty of money and so does the university. If the powers that be determine that is what they want that is what they will get. To think otherwise would be foolish.

One more year??? Dude please....

Please what? Ill put you down as thinking Gus will get more than one year more to turn it around regardless of the win/loss record. Am I correct? You do realize that I don't want Gus to be fired, nor was I saying that I think he should ONLY be given one more year. I was simply stating that Auburn fired Chizik 2 years after winning the title because the team was in bad shape. I think he will get it turned around and win a bunch of games next year.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you guys honestly believe that Gus will be given another 2 years? We have won 1 SEC game out of the last 8 right? You do remember that Chizik was fired 2 years after winning THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? I know there were some other problems going on with player discipline but I think Gus has one more year tops to turn this around. If you say the buyout is too much then you haven't been paying attention. Auburn alumni have plenty of money and so does the university. If the powers that be determine that is what they want that is what they will get. To think otherwise would be foolish.

Please what? Ill put you down as thinking Gus will get more than one year more to turn it around regardless of the win/loss record. Am I correct? You do realize that I don't want Gus to be fired, nor was I saying that I think he should ONLY be given one more year. I was simply stating that Auburn fired Chizik 2 years after winning the title because the team was in bad shape. I think he will get it turned around and win a bunch of games next year.

i think it starts now.

Yeah I get the whole Chizik thing. I was on board with that. Your post seemed to indicate that he should only be given another year, or that it was absurd to think otherwise. Heck, even your response indicates that. I think it would be assanine to get rid of Gus next year, yes, no matter the record. Now if we keep taking steps back he should be on the hot seat, but we have to keep someone around long enough to build some dang consistency or we'll never get anywhere

That's the thing BD...I don't think the team is in bad shape. They've overcome a lot since the start of the season. Things that were out of their control. Who can honestly say they knew JJ would come out playing like s scared little boy? No one. They're coming along fine, albeit slower than fans want. I assure you the coaches expect more as well, but people want to assume a lot about these coaches and it's absurd. We cannot keep running off coaches if we expect to build a contender. There will be bumps in the road, we should allow the staff to navigate this stuff and show some patience.

Much of the sec has melted down or canibalized itself this year. Many of the fan bases are grumpy or talking about new coach. Uga leading the pact.

For us nothing new. If it's any november - ever, at au there's only 2 acceptable discussion thread types - we're either talking replacing our coach because he's b come an idiot or completely terrified someone's going to steal our coach because he's an unparalleled genius.

We're right on schedule.

Let me summarize my position so everyone is clear in easy to read points since I am feeling like I am being misunderstood. Feel free to disagree.

1. I LOVE Auburn and always will.

2. I support Gus and the football team and I hope they get it all together soon

3. While I would much rather spend a lot of money to see Auburn win a game, I have, and will continue to spend a lot of money to go see Auburn play and visit one of my favorite places on earth even if they lose.

4. Auburn will always be one of my favorite places on earth whether the football team is doing well or doing poorly.

5. My OPINION after speaking with multiple people at the Ole Miss game is that a lot of Auburn fans are upset with the way Gus is calling plays and personnel this season.

6. My opinion is that the stadium seemed to lose steam by mid 3rd quarter and the here-we-go-again attitude seemed to show up.

7. I hope Gus gets the team to show continued improvement thru the remainder of this season and into next year. I think that he will and we will see improvement next year as well, and the issue of Gus being fired is moot.

8. If the team doesn't improve and does worse next year I wonder what will happen given what happened to Chizik?

9. I don't expect Auburn to win every game nor is my support of all things Auburn linked to how well they do in football.

10. As a general rule if a team wins a lot of games more people want to go see them play in person. If a team loses a lot of games less people want to go see them in person.

11. In regards to number 10 above, I go see Auburn in person REGARDLESS of how they are doing; BUT, I am happier if they win!

12. See #1

So I got to go to my first Auburn game this season this last weekend for the Ole Miss game and like always, I had a wonderful time other than the outcome this week of the game. The town of Auburn seems to grow exponentially every time I get down there! I sat in section 8, 4 rows up from the field and I had all Auburn fans around me except for maybe 4 Ole Miss fans a few rows back. I can tell you guys without a doubt that it seemed like everyone around me was questioning what Gus is thinking with his play calls and the collective sighs and "oh brothers" were clearly audible in the stadium on several occasions. There were even some boos which I have rarely ever heard in Jordan Hare in all the years I have been going to games. Without an exception everyone I talked to at length either around me at the game or in the restaurants/bars after the game is getting fed up with mainly 2 gripes: #1. Putting JJ in the game at any time. All that I spoke with thinks that it screws up the flow of the offense for SW, AND that he is liability to turn it over every time he has the ball in his hands. #2. The dreaded 1st down run up the middle seemingly every time Auburn gets a first down the next play is up the middle. Those I spoke to as well as myself, cannot figure out why Gus continues to do that. The opposing teams know it too, and the d-ends crash down and the secondary is on the way to the line of scrimmage the second the ball is snapped. I dont know the stats as fact, but my memory would say that it more often than not ends with at most a 2 yrd gain, and more likely no gain or a loss. I guess the main point of this thread is that the feeling I got was that Gus is losing support every game right now and if he doesn't start changing some things up and breaking habits then the support will continue to wither away and we all know what happens when the fans stop showing up. I hope Gus can get this turned around but I don't see him having more than one more season to do so before the fans are all against him. Just my .02 cents from the many, many, conversations I had with Auburn fans.

Stands were packed. Game was sold out...

I know the game was sold out. They announced it and everything.

SMH.....

Let me summarize my position so everyone is clear in easy to read points since I am feeling like I am being misunderstood. Feel free to disagree.

3. While I would much rather spend a lot of money to see Auburn win a game, I have, and will continue to spend a lot of money to go see Auburn play and visit one of my favorite places on earth even if they lose.

4. Auburn will always be one of my favorite places on earth whether the football team is doing well or doing poorly.

5. My OPINION after speaking with multiple people at the Ole Miss game is that a lot of Auburn fans are upset with the way Gus is calling plays and personnel this season.

6. My opinion is that the stadium seemed to lose steam by mid 3rd quarter and the here-we-go-again attitude seemed to show up.

7. I hope Gus gets the team to show continued improvement thru the remainder of this season and into next year. I think that he will and we will see improvement next year as well, and the issue of Gus being fired is moot.

8. If the team doesn't improve and does worse next year I wonder what will happen given what happened to Chizik?

9. I don't expect Auburn to win every game nor is my support of all things Auburn linked to how well they do in football.

10. As a general rule if a team wins a lot of games more people want to go see them play in person. If a team loses a lot of games less people want to go see them in person.

11. In regards to number 10 above, I go see Auburn in person REGARDLESS of how they are doing; BUT, I am happier if they win!

12. See #1

Your "happiness" is paramount.......

12. See #1

That all sounds reasonable...sorry I misinterpreted your earlier comment.

Just getting frustrated with the idea that if AU has an off season, it's time to fire the coach....again....as if that solved the problems the last time we did it ...or the time before that.

12. See #1

To me, yes my happiness is important.

12. See #1

And you are a moderator here? Why would you make a juvenile comment like that? I could maybe see if you had contributed anything worthwhile to this thread and I had given u a hard time but you haven't. Oh, unless you count "SMH" previously at my reply to someone who missed my point completely and had replied with something about it being a sell out game which was never in contention.

So I got to go to my first Auburn game this season this last weekend for the Ole Miss game and like always, I had a wonderful time other than the outcome this week of the game. The town of Auburn seems to grow exponentially every time I get down there! I sat in section 8, 4 rows up from the field and I had all Auburn fans around me except for maybe 4 Ole Miss fans a few rows back. I can tell you guys without a doubt that it seemed like everyone around me was questioning what Gus is thinking with his play calls and the collective sighs and "oh brothers" were clearly audible in the stadium on several occasions. There were even some boos which I have rarely ever heard in Jordan Hare in all the years I have been going to games. Without an exception everyone I talked to at length either around me at the game or in the restaurants/bars after the game is getting fed up with mainly 2 gripes: #1. Putting JJ in the game at any time. All that I spoke with thinks that it screws up the flow of the offense for SW, AND that he is liability to turn it over every time he has the ball in his hands. #2. The dreaded 1st down run up the middle seemingly every time Auburn gets a first down the next play is up the middle. Those I spoke to as well as myself, cannot figure out why Gus continues to do that. The opposing teams know it too, and the d-ends crash down and the secondary is on the way to the line of scrimmage the second the ball is snapped. I dont know the stats as fact, but my memory would say that it more often than not ends with at most a 2 yrd gain, and more likely no gain or a loss. I guess the main point of this thread is that the feeling I got was that Gus is losing support every game right now and if he doesn't start changing some things up and breaking habits then the support will continue to wither away and we all know what happens when the fans stop showing up. I hope Gus can get this turned around but I don't see him having more than one more season to do so before the fans are all against him. Just my .02 cents from the many, many, conversations I had with Auburn fans.

Stands were packed. Game was sold out...

Was thinking the same. But hey, don't shoot the messenger. ;D

I think it comes down to people not knowing wtf they are seeing IMO. There's more to coaching a team than calling a few plays and winning all the games. This years team has had a lot of adversity thrown its way very early in the season and is slowly overcoming it and continuing to fight. That speaks volumes to me and has way more clout than disgruntled fans that don't agree with play calling. Let's not forget, if a few plays had different outcomes this team would be 7-1 or 6-2. We're not getting embarrassed on the field like 2012. Team play has improved week to week despite all the adversity and that's the coaches goals despite what fan expectations are or were before the season began. The coaches nor the players have given up and it shows on the field despite the W-L column, why the hell are the fans? It's embarrassing to read some of the fans comments on social media. The majority don't have a friggin clue what they are talking about, just spouting bull**** and it only tears the team down more. Get behind the team or get the hell out. WDE

Well stated. :wareagle:

I started this thread because i went to the game and noticed a decidedly upset crowd around me. I'm not making this up or exaggerating. Maybe by chance I just happened to talk with only people who were upset; its unlikely but possible. I envisioned hearing from others who attended the game who either shared the same experience or something different altogether. Instead I have gotten a bunch of attacks and posts that have a condescending tone to them. Way to go!

I started this thread because i went to the game and noticed a decidedly upset crowd around me. I'm not making this up or exaggerating. Maybe by chance I just happened to talk with only people who were upset; its unlikely but possible. I envisioned hearing from others who attended the game who either shared the same experience or something different altogether. Instead I have gotten a bunch of attacks and posts that have a condescending tone to them. Way to go!

yep 4th quarter frustration and restlessness was setting in and confidence on winning the game was slipping quickly.

Well all my talk means jack squat in the big picture. I just hope we get better and win some of these remaining games. I think we can and while I can say we are a couple plays from having 3 more losses we also are a few plays from being a one loss team. So I'm going to choose to be positive about everything from here on out except for maybe that damn up the middle on 1st down play we keep running. Lol.

I think it comes down to people not knowing wtf they are seeing IMO. There's more to coaching a team than calling a few plays and winning all the games. This years team has had a lot of adversity thrown its way very early in the season and is slowly overcoming it and continuing to fight. That speaks volumes to me and has way more clout than disgruntled fans that don't agree with play calling. Let's not forget, if a few plays had different outcomes this team would be 7-1 or 6-2. We're not getting embarrassed on the field like 2012. Team play has improved week to week despite all the adversity and that's the coaches goals despite what fan expectations are or were before the season began. The coaches nor the players have given up and it shows on the field despite the W-L column, why the hell are the fans? It's embarrassing to read some of the fans comments on social media. The majority don't have a friggin clue what they are talking about, just spouting bull**** and it only tears the team down more. Get behind the team or get the hell out. WDE

Well stated. :wareagle:/>

Post of the Day. I fear it is wasted on certain morons that are elephants/ other dumb animals dressed in Tiger clothing. JMHO

Wartim, of course that is your reply. Call whomever you disagree with a moron Alabama fan posing as an auburn fan. I'm sorry but your input into this thread has been a joke. I think you will find many that agree with me. I mean seriously what are u even doing on here??? This is a forum where people discuss Auburn football. That's what was going on until u jump in calling names and making smart a*s comments. I would contend the person most lacking Auburn qualities that has posted in this thread is you. Oh and I'm sure u moved it to the family thread so it would die off. What a joke. You probably aren't even an Auburn graduate.

Bottom line:

If you go off half cocked and fire Gus, the football program will be set back at least three years. Unless the team goes 3-9 next year, Gus is safe. His seat will be warming up if we don't see improvement. Everybody needs to just sit back and watch the travesty of the playoff. They started it out with a bizarro top four. TCU and Baylor and Michigan State are unbeaten and they are 7,8,9 with bammer at 4? What a joke.

Archived