Sean White and his arm

aubfaninga

Joe Montana or Jamarcus Russell?

Russell had incredible arm strength, Montana deadly accuracy.

Which one is in the hall of fame and which one flamed out?

Nuff said!

I think that is a very contextless point. JaMarcus just wasn't mentally ready for the NFL game and couldn't adjust his style of play (let's not even bring up the fact that the NFL is radically different). It's about knowing the game, not arm strength and Montana didn't exactly have a baby arm. He was probably stronger than Sean or Brady or Manning

The point was arm strength is not everything. Accuracy and being able to see the field and make smart decisions is superior to a person who chunk it 80-90 yards. Bo could chunk it the length of the field, but was he a QB or an RB?

As long as a QB can chunk it 50-60 yards, can put the ball in a small window, reads defenses well, and makes good decisions, he will be a good to very good QB. Sean can easily get it 60 yards or more, he has done so in our games.

If you think back to Jamarcus Russell, all of the scouts and talking heads were ooing and ahhing over his size and arm strength. He was a fist round pick. But he was also a bust. Sure he had a cannon for an arm, but could not hit the broad side of a barn under pressure. That WAS THE POINT!

Take it back to Sean White now. How many interceptions has Sean thrown? How many terrible throws has he made? Go back and look at his stats. Even with all the dropped balls laid right in receiver's hands, his completion stats are not bad.

Sean has shown on the field that he has all of the tools to be a great QB, arm strength wise, decision making wise, and especially accuracy. Is he perfect? No, he is a red shirt freshman who did not even have the benefit of starting until after the third game. Sean is NOT THE REASON we have been losing these games. If the blame lies anywhere on the offensive side of the ball, it lies with the coaches and the receivers.

Guess I just do not understand how some can wish for something else, when we actually have a pretty darn good QB calling the signals under center now. Is he Cam Newton? Of course not. But then again, who is?

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well folks jf3 just committed so SW might end up transferring eventually

If a second-string JUCO QB comes in and takes the job from White, we have bigger problems than anyone thought.

Not from where I am sitting but I am just a sunshine pumper.

Juco or not. 3rd string or waterboy. If anyone comes in and beats out a healthy and experienced Sean White for his position then we have a gamer. There has been nothing that tells me it will be easy to take Seans position even with the small sample size. Sean is our starter and can't wait to see how he rises.

Lol. Nobody read the the op. But you better believe the crusaders will definitely fight even when there is none

Interesting to read this 2013 article now about Sean:

Published on Sep. 20, 2013

Back in July, all in a day, Sean White received an offer from Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn and accepted that offer. The decision capped off one of the most impressive displays by a high school quarterback in recent years.

White won the Elite 11 quarterback competition and was MVP of the 7-on-7 competition at The Opening.

Here's Go Big Recruiting's TJ Gaynor's breakdown of the future Auburn quarterback.

Scouting Report:

QB Sean White, University School (Hollywood, Fla.)

What stands out:

The Brain. Sean White knows exactly what's he's doing on the football field at all times. He displays no hesitation in his decision-making, and one look at his 2012 stat line will tell you that he consistently makes the right choices. His innate feel for the position is already better than most college and some professional quarterbacks. In particular his pocket awareness and ability to slide away from pressure stand out for a high school prospect. He can sense the rush around him extremely well and always has his eyes scanning downfield for the open receiver.

-- His footwork and command of how to position his body properly for every throw also set his game apart. Whether he's in rhythm in the pocket or scrambling, he always has his hips and shoulders aligned perfectly when it's time to reach back and spin the rock.

-- White marries his physical intuition and spatial awareness with great technical knowledge of coverage and route concepts. As an example, he consistently displays exceptional touch on the deep ball because he possesses rare anticipation on his release. Since he's been able to merge that anticipation with the right footwork and body positioning, the end result is consistent downfield accuracy.

-- Time after time I watched him drop the pigskin precisely into the correct window for his receiver just as he got over top of the defensive back. His ball placement is so good that it's rare that you'll see White cause a receiver to slow down or break stride to catch the football. He also does an outstanding job of delivering the ball accurately on the run, especially moving to his left.

What needs development: (Canuck's comment - interesting how Sean has shrunk from 6'2" on many recruiting reports to 6'0" at Auburn)

-- The Brawn. Unless you're playing behind the 2012 Alabama offensive line, life as an SEC quarterback can be hazardous to your health. At best, White appears to be about 6-2 and 200 pounds, so he needs to develop that frame. While he's nimble in the pocket, he doesn't yet possess the elite agility or core strength required to face the Sunday pass rushers that will be chasing him down on Saturdays in the near future. As well-developed as his mind is today, his body needs to become bigger, stronger and faster if he's going to survive the rigors of what's ahead.

Numbers that matter: Auburn at LSU

What's next:

This season can't end quickly enough for Auburn coach Gus Malzahn. The sooner he can get White on campus and start feeding him the playbook, the better. White has that "it" factor when it comes to accuracy and decision-making that will allow Gus to be Gus again. Now that White's in the fold, the primary focus for the Auburn staff has to be finding enough of the right offensive linemen to protect their latest prized triggerman.

-- TJ Gaynor was a two-time All-Pac-10 offensive lineman at Stanford. During his time on the Farm, he played for a long list of great coaches, including Hall of Famer Bill Walsh. After tryouts with the 49ers and Lions, Gaynor spent time as a high school coach and analyst for Scout.com. He is Go Big Recruiting's senior recruiting analyst.

Great post! I think we should hire this author, for the most part he is spot on. Thanks for posting.

He's being recruited as an athlete Chicken Little.

Franklin said he is coming in "strictly as a quarterback." He'll enroll in January since he was a full qualifier out of high school.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/11/new_auburn_commit_john_frankli.html#incart_river

Jf3 doesn't seem to be under that impression, but what does he know?

I agree, this situation seems to be very much like the Jason Smith recruitment a year ago. JF3 will come in, be given a shot at QB and when it doesn't work out he will be moved to WR.

Franklin said he is coming in "strictly as a quarterback." He'll enroll in January since he was a full qualifier out of high school.

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/11/new_auburn_commit_john_frankli.html#incart_river

Nonsense. Why would he know more about his recruiting than the guys on here that talked to Gus personally and were told he wouldn't play qb

http://www.al.com/au...ml#incart_river

Nonsense. Why would he know more about his recruiting than the guys on here that talked to Gus personally and were told he wouldn't play qb

Coaches ALWAYS tell an athlete like this that he will get a shot a QB if that's what he wants....why not? Doesn't hurt to give them a look as long as they don't waste a season doing it. And.... no reason that Gus needs to tell him he doesn't have a snowball's chance of getting the job though...is there?

If he's going to take a crack at QB, then he should absolutely believe in himself and consider himself strictly a QB right now. No problem with that.

When one of our coaches says without qualification that they intend for him to play QB, then I'll believe it.

He wasn't told he's strictly a qb by the coaches then would be changed. Everybody else was told either athlete or not and the recruit relayed the message. Getting a shot and strictly qb are two different things

If this young man comes in and wins the QB job then that means he has great accuracy and can run really well. I don't think it happens because I think SW is pretty dang good and only going to get better but if it does then it can only be a good thing in my opinion.

He wasn't told he's strictly a qb by the coaches then would be changed. Everybody else was told either athlete or not and the recruit relayed the message. Getting a shot and strictly qb are two different things

Again, when the coaches say that he's strictly being recruited as a QB, I'll believe it.

I don't know what the coaches are saying because they haven't said publicly but the recruit has said strictly QB. Even said the following:

Franklin said he is coming in "strictly as a quarterback."

"They say they don't have a guy with my type of ability on the roster and what they've been missing with their offense is a little explosiveness. Hopefully I can provide that and help turn things around there."

Why is it surprising that he JF3 is coming in to compete at Qb? We only have 1 QB right now and if he is hurt then we don't have any. So yeah we need competition for next year with White, Queen, Barrett, and Franklin.

Gus tells all these players "You're my guy" during recruitment and then if he's better than SW he will play. If he's not, SW will play. And I am perfectly fine with that.

The fact of the matter is, there is no QB on the roster right now who has a realistic chance of pushing SW for playing time. SW on one leg and just one day of practice got the nod over a healthy JJ. So I'm all for bringing in more bodies at QB to ensure we put the best one on the field.

Gus tells all these players "You're my guy" during recruitment and then if he's better than SW he will play. If he's not, SW will play. And I am perfectly fine with that.

The fact of the matter is, there is no QB on the roster right now who has a realistic chance of pushing SW for playing time. SW on one leg and just one day of practice got the nod over a healthy JJ. So I'm all for bringing in more bodies at QB to ensure we put the best one on the field.

you must be very confident in yourself to come in and compete with a guy who has more eligibility left than you do. Especially when you are a backup in JUCO.

you must be very confident in yourself to come in and compete with a guy who has more eligibility left than you do. Especially when you are a backup in JUCO.

Yep and the fact that he couldn't even start on his juco team (did he have a big time baller in front of him?) probably bodes very well for SW's chances in beating him out. I'm actually more concerned with our staff's inability to determine who is the better player without sacrificing in-game production.

Yep and the fact that he couldn't even start on his juco team (did he have a big time baller in front of him?) probably bodes very well for SW's chances in beating him out.

Nailed it!!! If he couldn't start for a JUCO team, then chances of him starting here are none and slimmer than none. SW has the tools needed to do his job and I believe he will be a great QB by the time he leaves. People just need to calm down and let the coaches do their job. Now if in 3-4 years, we are still fighting for a 6 win season, then I may change my tone.

Franklin said he is coming in "strictly as a WILDCAT quarterback." He'll enroll in January since he was a full qualifier out of high school.

Fixed it for him...

Yep and Marshall turned the ball over entirely too much in juco and that number would double in the SEC and so on and so forth

This makes me a little worried about SW's injury being worse than we know. All the coach-speak about injuries lately have jaded me somewhat because so many turn out to be worse than originally thought!!! Is JF3 our safety net if SW can't go in the spring?

This makes me a little worried about SW's injury being worse than we know. All the coach-speak about injuries lately have jaded me somewhat because so many turn out to be worse than originally thought!!! Is JF3 our safety net if SW can't go in the spring?

He. Has. Elite. Speed. There is no need for elaborate theories as to why we would accept the commitment of a guy who runs a sub 4.4 40.

Seriously?

Archived