Chris Stapleton and Justin Timberlake - 2015 CMA Awards

RunInRed

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'm in the minority on this one. I thought it was a total abomination. It was completely and utterly HORRIBLE. I'm not the least bit a fan of whatever kind of music that show was for. It sure wasn't country. Guess its just not my style because I hated it.

I'd say it's mostly about it just not being your style of music, given what I see you comment on the most.

But I'm not sure how you could hear a song like "Tennessee Whiskey" and come away thinking that's not country music. "Drink You Away" isn't, it leans more in a Memphis blues jam fused with pop sensibilities. But it was still a great song and Memphis blues influences can be found all over country music.

Stapleton has had some work in bluegrass and a more pop style country from his songwriting, non-headlining tour work and earlier session playing, but the record that was awarded the other night, is as solidly traditional country as if it came from George Jones or Waylon Jennings.

Titan mentioned Jamey Johnson the other night and Chris's work has much in common with it. Both men had very popular trad country records. Johnson won a Grammy for, "Living Color", and rightfully so. Excellent writing. Stapleton, quite likely, will win a Grammy for this record as well.

Let me tell you something else...the woman singing on the other side of Chris from Justin could have a solo career in her own right if she wanted. That's Chris's wife Morgane. I was so impressed by how she wasn't overshadowed up there and was throwing down right along with both. She wasn't just background wallpaper. She significantly added to what was already a great live performance.

Let me tell you something else...the woman singing on the other side of Chris from Justin could have a solo career in her own right if she wanted. That's Chris's wife Morgane. I was so impressed by how she wasn't overshadowed up there and was throwing down right along with both. She wasn't just background wallpaper. She significantly added to what was already a great live performance.

I meant to chime in when you mentioned this earlier in the thread. Lady has serious chops. Good catch.

Titan mentioned Jamey Johnson the other night and Chris's work has much in common with it. Both men had very popular trad country records. Johnson won a Grammy for, "Living Color", and rightfully so. Excellent writing. Stapleton, quite likely, will win a Grammy for this record as well.

Jamey Johnson is from Montgomery. He and I went to school together. He's a really good guy, too.

Yes, he is a good guy. His first commercial success was released on Sony and he got a really bad deal there. A whole lot of artists have been treated less than well at Sony and then some artist have been there, their entire career, like Sara Evans. Hard to understand the complexities of that label in Nashville.

Jamey is with Universal Music Group/BNA Records now....

With his songwriting, collaborations and touring, Jamey has a life long career. Very talented writer.

• 4 weeks later...

Yep, sad and all too common. Artists have more than their fair share of SW's issues, so does a lot of society in general.

I've seen some exceptionally talented folks flame out over the years....Some known and some not...

That said, no cause has been given for his passing that I'm aware of yet....In any case, his personal history couldn't have helped the situation.

STP, certainly were influential in their careers.

I made the assumption that his addiction caught up to him. He missed a solo show here locally a few months ago. He literally pulled out the day of the show and gave no reason. It was hard for me not to make assumptions due to his past.

It sucks to see people struggle with addiction.

Chris was nominated for multiple Grammys for his record including some mainstream nominations like, Record of the Year.

Sam Hunt, Alabama Shakes and Little Big Town....all acts with solid Alabama ties, got some big nods. Shakes got numerous nom's in multiple segments. LBT up for Song of the Year....

IMO, next year, St Paul and the Broken Bones, from Bham will make this list too....About to drop a record that is getting big industry buzz.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/grammys/6785974/grammy-nominations-2016-full-list

Archived