Expectations by Cubelic

Weegle777

Seemed like a lot of LBS for the most part. I expect to compete for the SECW every year and to do it withing the rules (unlike $puat) but I don't expect AU to be in the SECCG every year, that would be foolishness. The MNC thing is just a fancy extension of the SECCG IMO.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Disagree,if you don't have high expectations and goals you will never be more than a middle of the road program.We should expect to win championships at Auburn.Auburn desevers it as much as anyone else and is as capable of competing and winning championships as any other program.

If you expect to win championships every year you will be a miserable, miserable human being. I refuse to live that way.

Notice, I didn't say every year.

I wish we could kill this notion that we expect success and that every ball bounced our way in years we did well, 2013 being just one example. Yes, Shug's humility and self-deprecation are a mile deep in our psychy but did John watch the 2013 title game? Every ball bounced our way in that game? His media-shared opinion is probably based on the tip-6 miracle against Georgia. Period. The most successful kickoff returner in the SEC that season returning a missed FG 105 yards against Bama is exciting...but not a miracle. Stopping Miss State on the 1 inch line is great D...but not a miracle. Playing LSU in a monsoon was SOOOO lucky that season. 2010 was miraculous? Really? We were lucky our 270 pound defender ran down Bama's starting running back and created a fumble? Our 2d half offense being just slightly better than Bama's 1st half O was miraculous or expected? Is Cubelic familiar with our "luck" in being awarded 1 1/2 national titles to go with our 11 undefeated seasons? Not getting a CHANCE to play for the national title in 2004 after beating five (5) top 10 teams is SO luck. If anything we're far from spoiled and expecting success & miracles, we EXPECT to get screwed or have unlucky bounces.

this is awesome.

I wish we could kill this notion that we expect success and that every ball bounced our way in years we did well, 2013 being just one example. Yes, Shug's humility and self-deprecation are a mile deep in our psychy but did John watch the 2013 title game? Every ball bounced our way in that game? His media-shared opinion is probably based on the tip-6 miracle against Georgia. Period. The most successful kickoff returner in the SEC that season returning a missed FG 105 yards against Bama is exciting...but not a miracle. Stopping Miss State on the 1 inch line is great D...but not a miracle. Playing LSU in a monsoon was SOOOO lucky that season. 2010 was miraculous? Really? We were lucky our 270 pound defender ran down Bama's starting running back and created a fumble? Our 2d half offense being just slightly better than Bama's 1st half O was miraculous or expected? Is Cubelic familiar with our "luck" in being awarded 1 1/2 national titles to go with our 11 undefeated seasons? Not getting a CHANCE to play for the national title in 2004 after beating five (5) top 10 teams is SO luck. If anything we're far from spoiled and expecting success & miracles, we EXPECT to get screwed or have unlucky bounces.

Well done.

Screw this article. Auburn isn't Alabama and NEVER will be. And guess what? I can live with that

What I find hard to live with is the fact that over the last 10 1/2 years.............

AU is 3-8 vs LSU, 3-7 vs UGA, 5-6 vs Arky and THAT doesn't have a damn thing to do with Alabama or Nick Saban.

The last two years the freaking Mississippi teams have eclipsed Auburn and that doesn't have a damn thing to do with Alabama football.

AU is currently sitting at the bottom of the SEC West in record and in too damn many statistical categories as well, and that has nothing to do with Alabama football.

How 'bout Cole John address that crap record and scratch out a fluff piece for us AU fans!

My next question:

How can this happen at bama, but not at Auburn? What is different?

. . . the NCAA turns a blind eye ?

(not to be flippant)

Exactly correct....noticed that someone posted about dynasties of USCw, OU, Miami...well we found out later that there was more to their schollies than the rest of country....Bush, Dupree and that whole rapper scandal at the U along with them getting away with things outside of football...look at FSU recently...players are allowed to get away with things that others would be put in jail for and some are paid money but the NCAA turns a blind eye...T-Town menswear ring a bell or the coach that "loaned" a player money...oh and the rims etc...too many things that just don't add up plus notice how they never publish the number of players on scholarship over there by citing student confidentiality...come on they don't publish because they would get caught....

Screw this article. Auburn isn't Alabama and NEVER will be. And guess what? I can live with that

What I find hard to live with is the fact that over the last 10 1/2 years.............

AU is 3-8 vs LSU, 3-7 vs UGA, 5-6 vs Arky and THAT doesn't have a damn thing to do with Alabama or Nick Saban.

The last two years the freaking Mississippi teams have eclipsed Auburn and that doesn't have a damn thing to do with Alabama football.

AU is currently sitting at the bottom of the SEC West in record and in too damn many statistical categories as well, and that has nothing to do with Alabama football.

How 'bout Cole address that crap record and scratch out a fluff piece for us AU fans!

I can't disagree with any of this and I'm facepalming hard as hell right now

Second article by this guy I have read that is way off base. I have always thought that AU meaured their own success. I don't believe 2010 or 2013 were outliers. Under Dye and Tuuberville we had great success. In fact if those teams had been playing in this BCS environment I believe we would have been NC mix especially 88, 93 and 04 teams for sure. So not buying his lowered expectation mantra

You actually validate what he says NC mix 88 is 5 years from 93 and 93 is 11 years from 04 Even in the Dye Tuberville era we were not in the race every year. Bama is about the only team recently that has been in the race for an NC every year. But even the mighty Bama went a long time between Bear and Saban with only one NC under Stallings during that time and a lot of mediocre teams.

Do I want us to compete for championships every year of course, but most fans at the major schools want and often expect the same thing. All teams go through transitions. OU Dynasties, The Texas Dynasties, The USC Dynasties, The Miami Dynasties, Big Ten used to be the powerhouses, and now two Bama Dynasties one under Bear one under Saban and who is to say the Saban Dynasty is not waning. If LSU beats them they are out of playoff picture and they will have taken drubbings by OU and OSU in last few years. Not saying LSU will beat them but I would not be shocked if they do.

What he says makes sense.

His article indicated that 2010 and 2013 were anomalies. My points is they are not that there are plenty of times we are in the mix. It comes across as lecturing to AU fans to temper their expectations because 2010 and 2013 were outliers. The fact is they are not.

How 'bout Cole address that crap record and scratch out a fluff piece for us AU fans!

And UT is 0-11 against Florida 0-9 against Alabama, but most Vols fans still think Butch Jones is their guy.

And UT is 0-11 against Florida, but most Vols fans still think Butch Jones is their guy.

We should be splitting games with LSU and UGA and the expectation is we should split with Bama. There is no way in hell we should ever have a losing record vs Arkansas over any span of time.

Don't forget we've lost four of the last five to Moo State as well. Good post Keesler.

Don't forget we've lost four of the last five to Moo State as well. Good post Keesler.

:(

And UT is 0-11 against Florida, but most Vols fans still think Butch Jones is their guy.

We should be splitting games with LSU and UGA and the expectation is we should split with Bama. There is no way in hell we should ever have a losing record vs Arkansas over any span of time.

In that same span of time we are undefeated against Florida, Tennessee, South Caroilina(coached by Steve Spurrier) and Missouri, We should have lost half of those games if you go by that same logic.

Some people are still acting like the college football landscape is the same as it was 10 years ago. It's not. Arkansas, Miss St. and Ole Miss all invest about the same amount of money in their football program as we do. To say that we should be consistently a step above these programs is no longer realistic. The same can be said for Bama. They will fall back into the middle of the pack soon enough. May happen this weekend.

That being said, Miss St. loses Prescott next year and Ole Miss loses Nkemdiche, Tunsil and Treadwell. So they will both likely be coming back down to Earth as well.

To clarify, this is coming from John Cubelic not Cole Cubelic. I would hate for this BS article to be attributed to Cole.

There have been some really good posts so far.

As much as I hate to say this, and I have said it many times myself, the turds haven't been hit by the ncaa for cheating, so we really only have speculation on that. They have a successful model that works and that churns out at least 10 wins each year. Bama, according to a grad I spoke with, were in the same situation AU is in now before they hired saban. But, they had a decision to make. Do we continue to be average, or do we take this thing to the next level? They chose the next level and have been successful. When if ever will Auburn have enough and make that decision?

Some people are still acting like the college football landscape is the same as it was 10 years ago. It's not. Arkansas, Miss St. and Ole Miss all invest about the same amount of money in their football program as we do. To say that we should be consistently a step above these programs is no longer realistic. The same can be said for Bama. They will fall back into the middle of the pack soon enough. May happen this weekend.

That being said, Miss St. loses Prescott next year and Ole Miss loses Nkemdiche, Tunsil and Treadwell. So they will both likely be coming back down to Earth as well.

You make good points, but UF, SC, and UT have not been particularly good programs in the past 10 years save for UF having a few dominant seasons. Arkansas and the Mississippi schools also have not been top programs in the last 10 years. Are we an average SEC program? We should be eye to eye with LSU, UGA, & Bama. We are one of the programs that should be considered to have a shot to win a national title from the SEC. Ark, Ole Miss and Miss St do not. Although OM and MSU have looked like they are progressing toward that direction lately. We don't play UF or UT enough to have long term records really mean anything other than small snapshots of how the programs are at that current time.

I guess we technically could be an average program because 12-0's balanced with barely bowl eligible (or worse) seasons makes us extremely average if one chooses to look at it that way

Saban has been at Bama for nine years now. That is nine years of very consistent, systematic recruiting. Bama is differentiated by talent. Their assistant coaches have changed significantly and frequently (with the exception of Kirby Smart). But their defensive system and scheme, and defensive recruiting, has not changed. Their offensive system and scheme, and recruiting, was consistent until the arrival of Lane Kiffin.

I believe it is easier to change offensive schemes than defensive schemes. O-Line is O-Line. Running backs are running backs. Wide receivers are wide receivers. The biggest change is the QB, and perhaps the number of any particular skill position (say, 4-WR Air Raid vs. 3-RB Wishbone).

Our defensive scheme has changed repeatedly over the last several years. We had the Chizik's 4-3 Tampa-2, with small, fast LBs designed to stop West Coast offenses, which was forced on Ted Roof. We had Brian Van Gorder's philosophy (bigger LBs, etc.) which we did not have the personnel for. We had Ellis Johnson's 4-2-5 (which is a different implementation compared to Ole Miss' or VT's 4-2-5). On top of that, we had numerous 4-star and 5-star recruiting busts, leaving us with not only mismatched talent, but limited talent. Now we have CWM's hybrid 4-3.

Each one of these systems brought different recruiting philosophies. Correct me if I a wrong, but the 4-3 defensive system we ran during the Tubberville era under John Lovett, Gene Chizik, David Gibbs, Will Muschamp, and Paul Rhoads was similar, so the DC carousel did not disrupt recruiting or coaching much.

CWM's current defensive system was developed at LSU under Saban (who is a 3-4 guy), and went with him to the Dolphins, but when Muschamp came to Auburn for the 2006 season, I do not know if he changed much from what we were currently running then. I know at Texas, CWM was using his hybrid scheme.

We see the effect CWM's defensive philosophy and recruiting had on Florida's defense. My hope is we stick with CWM's defensive system and philosophy for an extended period of time, beyond CWM's tenure at AU.

You make good points, but UF, SC, and UT have not been particularly good programs in the past 10 years save for UF having a few dominant seasons. Arkansas and the Mississippi schools also have not been top programs in the last 10 years. Are we an average SEC program? We should be eye to eye with LSU, UGA, & Bama. We are one of the programs that should be considered to have a shot to win a national title from the SEC. Ark, Ole Miss and Miss St do not. Although OM and MSU have looked like they are progressing toward that direction lately. We don't play UF or UT enough to have long term records really mean anything other than small snapshots of how the programs are at that current time.

I guess we technically could be an average program because 12-0's balanced with barely bowl eligible (or worse) seasons makes us extremely average if one chooses to look at it that way

While UGA has been consistent, do you think they are going to look back and say, "Remember all those 10 win seasons?" On the other hand we get to say "Remember 2013 when we played for a national title. Remember 2010 when we won it all?" I personally like what we have more than what Georgia has.

While UGA has been consistent, do you think they are going to look back and say, "Remember all those 10 win seasons?" On the other hand we get to say "Remember 2013 when we played for a national title. Remember 2010 when we won it all?" I personally like what we have more than what Georgia has.

I agree with you. I'd rather play for 'ships every now and then than have a bunch of empty 10 win seasons. But on a consistent basis we are getting owned by our biggest rivals which is bad news because we have comparable talent up and down the roster to all 3 of our main rivals and have to recruit against them every year.

Also there's a reason Arkansas and Miss St try to use the AU game to define and set the tones their of their seasons. They are used to looking up at us. And frankly that's how it should be when you look at it from a historical standpoint.

It is not unrealistic for Auburn to compete in the top ten top five nationally every year. I don't care what anyone says.

War eagle

Traditional Powers:

Ohio State

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Alabama

LSU

Florida

Tennessee

Auburn

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Recent powers:

Baylor

Oregon

TCU

Ole Miss

Boise State

Arizona State

Utah

UCLA

Clemson

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

However deserving they may be,

All of these teams cannot inhabit the top ten at the same time.

Fortune favors the bold. - Pliny the Elder

Fortune favors the prepared mind. - Dr. Louis Pasteur

No team will always be in contention. If we prepare well and endeavor to act boldly, good things will happen when the opportunities arise.

nice post

Traditional Powers:

Ohio State

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Alabama

LSU

Florida

Tennessee

Auburn

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Recent powers:

Baylor

Oregon

TCU

Ole Miss

Boise State

Arizona State

Utah

UCLA

Clemson

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

However deserving they may be,

All of these teams cannot inhabit the top ten at the same time.

You are correct. But one would think we would have a more evened out record against our fellow traditional power opponents considering we are in the same class. In fact, just looking our 10 year record vs the others in the same group one could say that we are probably a step below them. But when we're good we just so happen to be REALLY good which helps keep the national perception of us in the traditional power class. It's pretty interesting how we manage these wild ups and downs from year to year.

Archived