LSU

Florida

Tennessee

Auburn

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Many would argue that Nebraska and Notre Dame are more traditional powers than Auburn and Texas A&M.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Screw this article. Auburn isn't Alabama and NEVER will be. And guess what? I can live with that

What I find hard to live with is the fact that over the last 10 1/2 years.............

AU is 3-8 vs LSU, 3-7 vs UGA, 5-6 vs Arky and THAT doesn't have a damn thing to do with Alabama or Nick Saban.

The last two years the freaking Mississippi teams have eclipsed Auburn and that doesn't have a damn thing to do with Alabama football.

AU is currently sitting at the bottom of the SEC West in record and in too damn many statistical categories as well, and that has nothing to do with Alabama football.

How 'bout Cole address that crap record and scratch out a fluff piece for us AU fans!

I can't disagree with any of this and I'm facepalming hard as hell right now

Don't forget we've lost four of the last five to Moo State as well. Good post Keesler.

:banghead: Makes things even worse.

Traditional Powers:

Ohio State

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Alabama

LSU

Florida

Tennessee

Auburn

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Many would argue that Nebraska and Notre Dame are more traditional powers than Auburn and Texas A&M.

And many would be correct. I can't believe yall used TAM and traditional in the same sentence.

Traditional Powers:

Ohio State

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Alabama

LSU

Florida

Tennessee

Auburn

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

You know there's this saying about trees... and a forest....

Traditional Powers:

Ohio State

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Alabama

LSU

Florida

Tennessee

Auburn

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Recent powers:

Baylor

Oregon

TCU

Ole Miss

Boise State

Arizona State

Utah

UCLA

Clemson

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

However deserving they may be,

All of these teams cannot inhabit the top ten at the same time.

Surely some people on this board must realize that with AUburn in the top ten each year and bama in the top 10 each year that means those 30 so other "powers" to fight over the remaining 8 slots. That all makes sense.....right?

Maybe I should stay out of this since I grew up with an AU team under Shug that in 20 years won only one SEC title and often as not, did not make it into the top 20....and did not score against bama for four seasons during my undergrad career. That's enough to make me wonder about us being classified as a "traditional power"

I know that saying.

IMHO, People like Cubelic want to point to that one giant redwood tree on the other side of the state and focus on it rather than the many other trees AU has been unable to consistantly chop down for the last decade. Specifically UGA/LSU/Arky and freaking MSU in the last 5 yrs.

Auburn is a top 15 program historically, if they can't build up enough steam to consistantly stay top 15 then it's their own dang fault, it has nothing to do with that giant redwood that casts its shadow far and wide.

I know that saying.

IMHO, People like Cubelic want to point to that one giant redwood tree on the other side of the state and focus on it rather than the many other trees AU has been unable to consistantly chop down for the last decade. Specifically UGA/LSU/Arky and freaking MSU in the last 5 yrs.

Auburn is a top 15 program historically, if they can't build up enough steam to consistantly stay top 15 then it's their own dang fault, it has nothing to do with that giant redwood that casts its shadow far and wide.

Getting to the top is a decision. Staying at the top is a decision. GT was once great. Miami was once great. Michigan just recently decided to get back on top and, look out folks, it's gonna happen. It's important to minimize these down year slides. Too many hungry teams out there to let up even for a minute.

I know that saying.

Getting to the top is a decision. Staying at the top is a decision. GT was once great. Miami was once great. Michigan just recently decided to get back on top and, look out folks, it's gonna happen. It's important to minimize these down year slides. Too many hungry teams out there to let up even for a minute.

AMEN!

I know that saying.

I was mostly addressing the folks who pointed out how I forgot about ND and the Corn people. I honestly cannot think of a program other than Bama(right now) that stays in the Top 15 "consistently". Before Bama it was USC for a while. Maybe we become that team at some point, but it takes a lot of things breaking our way. For Bama it was a once in a generation coach who is also an elite recruiter. This is not something that is easily attainable. Most programs have to see the potential with their current coaches(See TCU and Baylor) in order to reach that elite level. Malzahn reminds me alot of Gary Patterson. He had some success. Then he had some struggles. Patterson had to change some of his philosophy to get back to that elite level. Meanwhile TCU didn't quit on Patterson. I am confident Gus is trying to do the same and I am optimistic.

I know that saying.

I was mostly addressing the folks who pointed out how I forgot about ND and the Corn people. I honestly cannot think of a program other than Bama(right now) that stays in the Top 15 "consistently". Before Bama it was USC for a while. Maybe we become that team at some point, but it takes a lot of things breaking our way. For Bama it was a once in a generation coach who is also an elite recruiter. This is not something that is easily attainable. Most programs have to see the potential with their current coaches(See TCU and Baylor) in order to reach that elite level. Malzahn reminds me alot of Gary Patterson. He had some success. Then he had some struggles. Patterson had to change some of his philosophy to get back to that elite level. Meanwhile TCU didn't quit on Patterson. I am confident Gus is trying to do the same and I am optimistic.

Gus needs time. It is only one year and we still have a few games to turn this around. However, comparing TCU to AU situation is completely apples and oranges. Not trying to call you out, but I see Patterson and TCU referenced a lot. TCU does not have nearly the amount of success or history that AU has attained.

I know that saying.

Gus needs time. It is only one year and we still have a few games to turn this around. However, comparing TCU to AU situation is completely apples and oranges. Not trying to call you out, but I see Patterson and TCU referenced a lot. TCU does not have nearly the amount of success or history that AU has attained.

We also play in the best division in football. If we were in the Coastal division of the ACC this team would be 7-1 and ranked in the top 15

Traditional Powers:

Ohio State

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Alabama

LSU

Florida

Tennessee

Auburn

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Recent powers:

Baylor

Oregon

TCU

Ole Miss

Boise State

Arizona State

Utah

UCLA

Clemson

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

there is no such thing as "traditional powers" anymore that is just bs media spin.

Auburn is not updykes little brother, if anything they are our beyotch. Auburn owns them in everything.

Auburn should expect and will be national champions otherwise whats the point?

This ass has bought into the updyke lies and propaganda

Traditional Powers:

Ohio State

Michigan

USC

Florida State

Alabama

LSU

Florida

Tennessee

Auburn

Georgia

Texas

Oklahoma

Texas A&M

Recent powers:

Baylor

Oregon

TCU

Ole Miss

Boise State

Arizona State

Utah

UCLA

Clemson

Michigan State

Oklahoma State

there is no such thing as "traditional powers" anymore that is just bs media spin.

Auburn is not updykes little brother, if anything they are our beyotch. Auburn owns them in everything.

Auburn should expect and will be national champions otherwise whats the point?

This ass has bought into the updyke lies and propaganda

I understand having high expectations, but I prefer to be realistic because it doesn't lead to meltdowns. Kinda like this fan base is having right now.

One program with ridiculously high expectations is Texas. In their pursuit for "championships every year", they have actually dug themselves into a deep hole. In fact the more patient programs in the state with more realistic fanbases(Baylor and TCU once again) seem to be winning the day. It's a win-win really.

I know that saying.

I'm not sure what the actual "decision" or decisions would have to be made. Maybe some of these type decisions:

Get there no matter what it costs.....no matter who we have to recruit.....no matter what corners we have to cut ..no matter what athlete behavior we have to overlook.....

I'm sure there are numerous others....but at the moment I think these four come to mind...and are worth thinking about. Just a note that some of those schools mentioned have said "yes" to those decisions and after doing that, have spent years on probation, millions in legal fees and have seen the brand of their universities diminished.

So guess I would like to know what decisions AU is not saying "yes" to that would enable our program to reach that level that we aspire to.

Much of this comes down to recruiting. It is far easier to recruit if you are a state school-- Alabama, Florida, LSU, Georgia. Outside of Alabama and the states surrounding it, how many players even know where Auburn is? You only have to hear ' the University of Auburn' about 100 times to realize this.

Auburn will find consistency by building its brand. Auburn's brand is family. The players who get it become Auburn men and women, and we are proud of them. The ones who don't, most of them we really didn't want anyway. If we did, we would be Alabama. Yes, a few good ones go some place else. With consistency, Auburn will be able to recruit the players it needs to win the right way.

We have a football coach who believes in Auburn's brand and promotes it with everything he does. Is he the most experienced coach in America? No. Is he a win-at-all-costs coach? No. But, you can judge the quality of a leader by the people around him. Will Muschamp returned to Auburn because he believed in the brand. There is a reason nobody besides Smart has stayed with Saban for very long.

It is obvious that Malzahn is still learning on the job. Everyone should have realized this would be the case when he was hired. It takes time to get a solid staff in place. Gus deserves a little more patience on the part of the fans. Yes, some of the trends are disturbing, but they are being addressed. Despite preseason expectations, the team is still young and largely inexperienced. And the defense needs a major infusion of talent which will take years to develop.

You can't live the way Saban has for very long. Ever read Dorian Gray? Alabama will eventually pay for having hired Saban, despite the short-term rewards. Think Bill Curry had trouble following Bear Bryant? The guy who follows Saban is going to be skewered by the fan base every time he makes a mistake.

At the very least, Gus Malzahn deserves a couple more seasons to get Auburn to a place where it can compete for the SEC on a regular basis. I am certain the defense will improve steadily under Muschamp's tutelage. I am equally certain that Malzahn can get the offense back on track. 2015 is just one season. Neither Malzahn or Muschamp walked into an ideal situation. It is going to take some time and a lot of hard work to straighten it out.

I know that saying.

I'm not sure what the actual "decision" or decisions would have to be made. Maybe some of these type decisions:

Get there no matter what it costs.....no matter who we have to recruit.....no matter what corners we have to cut ..no matter what athlete behavior we have to overlook.....

I'm sure there are numerous others....but at the moment I think these four come to mind...and are worth thinking about. Just a note that some of those schools mentioned have said "yes" to those decisions and after doing that, have spent years on probation, millions in legal fees and have seen the brand of their universities diminished.

So guess I would like to know what decisions AU is not saying "yes" to that would enable our program to reach that level that we aspire to.

I would hope that college football is not so corrupt that one must cheat or sacrifice your values to be successful. It does mean putting resources into the program and hiring the highest quality people who are motivated and capable of making the program top 10 quality. For example, I have no reason to think Coach Briles is cheating, but I do believe he, his program and his school are determined to be the best.

I would hope that college football is not so corrupt that one must cheat or sacrifice your values to be successful.

I think it depends on what conference you are in and how corrupt the other teams are. In the SEC, especially, you have to deal with some pretty corrupt individuals (coaches, boosters, etc) who will do whatever it takes to get ahead. I like to believe that's why Auburn is so hated when they are successful... because they didn't resort to those means to get there. Nothing upsets someone who is underhanded more than someone beating them without stooping to their level.

I think that we need to start understanding that this is a business and that most of these kids that come to a major university that are three, four, or five stars are using said university as a stepping stone to the league. Most of these guys don't grow up with a dream of playing for Auburn. AU should treat these guys as such and sign the max every year, trim the underperforming to get to 85, and help those that are cut to land somewhere else.

Folks on here equate Auburn as a program that has no troubles and should never "be like bama". What some fail to remember is auburn is one of the most punished schools in ncaa history. We have had our share of troubled athletes in recent history, more so than anyone. Point being, we can all love and cheer for our school, but we are no better than any other school. That doesnt mean i want to be bama, but it damn sure means i want to win as many games as they do.

I think that we need to start understanding that this is a business and that most of these kids that come to a major university that are three, four, or five stars are using said university as a stepping stone to the league. Most of these guys don't grow up with a dream of playing for Auburn. AU should treat these guys as such and sign the max every year, trim the underperforming to get to 85, and help those that are cut to land somewhere else.

Folks on here equate Auburn as a program that has no troubles and should never "be like bama". What some fail to remember is auburn is one of the most punished schools in ncaa history. We have had our share of troubled athletes in recent history, more so than anyone. Point being, we can all love and cheer for our school, but we are no better than any other school. That doesnt mean i want to be bama, but it damn sure means i want to win as many games as they do.

This is not quite true....though you use the word "history" in the comment.... back to the days when I was in school. At this point in time however, AU has been over 20 years without NCAA punishment...and regrettably, not many SEC schools can say that.

Otherwise, we have the same student behavior problems as most other schools though I question whether our record is worse than them if you take the time to do some research where you find Vandy players on trial for gang rape for example. Most of our problems are relatively minor....except that they are the kind of thing the University does not tolerate.

I asked a question ...what should we be doing that we are not doing? Weegle suggested an answer...so is that what we expect of AU....become a professional football team in disguise because we think that is what other schools are doing...and abandon any thought of the student-athlete model?

Otherwise....what should we be doing ?....other than firing coaches every year or two when they don't live up to expectations?

I would hope that college football is not so corrupt that one must cheat or sacrifice your values to be successful.

I think it depends on what conference you are in and how corrupt the other teams are. In the SEC, especially, you have to deal with some pretty corrupt individuals (coaches, boosters, etc) who will do whatever it takes to get ahead. I like to believe that's why Auburn is so hated when they are successful... because they didn't resort to those means to get there. Nothing upsets someone who is underhanded more than someone beating them without stooping to their level.

That would be nice if it is true, but AU is hated because of their history of sanctions. It is just further amplified when the team is successful. Add to the fact that we took in two players who were kicked off their previous teams and have capitalized on it makes AU even more hated. Who cares anyway. Just win Baby, win.

Good question. I would dare to say that 10% or less of the high profile athletes really do care about academics and getting their degree. Most just care about those Saturday job interviews. I would treat it as it is, a three year audition for the league. That is probably how those athletes see the university.

This is not quite true....though you use the word "history" in the comment.... back to the days when I was in school. At this point in time however, AU has been over 20 years without NCAA punishment...and regrettably, not many SEC schools can say that.

Otherwise, we have the same student behavior problems as most other schools though I question whether our record is worse than them if you take the time to do some research where you find Vandy players on trial for gang rape for example. Most of our problems are relatively minor....except that they are the kind of thing the University does not tolerate.

I asked a question ...what should we be doing that we are not doing? Weegle suggested an answer...so is that what we expect of AU....become a professional football team in disguise because we think that is what other schools are doing...and abandon any thought of the student-athlete model?

Otherwise....what should we be doing ?....other than firing coaches every year or two when they don't live up to expectations?

Actually, I think we are doing what we can do at this point. Or at least what we currently know how to do. Gus is still learning the job. There are probably things we could do better, maybe much better. Those things must be remedied when found as we go along. The main thing is the commitment to constant improvement. The importance of that commitment to constant improvement by all parties cannot be overstated.

Can't fire the coach. A general policy of 5 years min to build a system wouldn't be a bad thing at AU. If a bad coach does get hired, maybe the DA can pay the price, but I think all but the worst of coaches deserve 5 years.

Archived