Daniel Carlson- Groza semi-finalist

hutchids

The season hasn't been going as planned, but special teams has been a bright spot. No one shows that more than Carlson. Looks like he may be the silver lining to the season. Congrats to him for making the Groza semi finalist (kicker of the year award).

More here: http://www.al.com/au...roza_award.html

Auburn's Daniel Carlson named semifinalist for Lou Groza Award

19128182-mmmain.jpg

Auburn offensive lineman Shon Coleman (72) congratulates Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson (38) after a successful field goal against Ole Miss during the first half Saturday, Oct. 31, 2015, at Jordan-Hare Stadium in Auburn, Ala. (Julie Bennett/jbennett@al.com) (JULIE BENNETT)

10662286.png By Brandon Marcello | bmarcello@al.com

Follow on Twitter

on November 05, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson was named one of 20 semifinalists for the Lou Groza Award on Thursday. The award goes to the nation's top placekicker.

Auburn's record-holder in field goals of 50 yards or more in a season (four) has hit 82.4 percent of his kicks this season, including only one miss from over 50 yards.

"I know, from a coaching staff standpoint, we've got a lot of confidence in him when it crosses around the 35 yard line, he's going to have a high success rate," Malzahn said. "He's done a great job. If you really look at the kickoffs too, he's got to be one of the best place kickers in college football. And I think at the end of the year, everybody will see, he'll be up for all those awards and all that and I think it will be very warranted."

LSU's Trent Domingue is the only other SEC player on the list of semifinalists.

Carlson has scored 66 points for Auburn this season, including 24 extra points and 14 field goals.

Semifinalists will be voted on by coaches, sports information directors, a panel of kicking experts and football writers to select the three finalists. The finalists will be announced Nov. 24.

He's something special.....might have helped if he were on a better team....but if so, perhaps he would not have had so many long FG attempts. Our somewhat impotent O has provided him with some good opportunities for the long shots.

Congrats to him for the recognition.

The more our drives stalls, the more we pad his stats. He is on pace for around six or seven 50+ yard field goals which is really damn good.

If there is a better kicker in college football, I would like to know who?

This is how I felt about Steven clark's punting but they found someone to put over him lol.

Well deserved! Guy has been killing those deep kicks this year. Hope he gets another 50 yarder this year and he'll have the record at AU for most FGs over 50yds in a season

This is how I felt about Steven clark's punting but they found someone to put over him lol.

Of course, in 2013, that was because they gave the award before he played his best game of the season. I still don't have a clue why they don't wait until all of the games and conference championships have been played before voting on awards.

And he's a sophomore. (Right?)

Red shirt sophomore...he can go pro after this year......

(Pretty sure a kicker has never left early lol)

I believe janochowski (no idea how to spell it) went early. He was once in a lifetime though.

And he's a sophomore. (Right?)

Red shirt sophomore...he can go pro after this year......

(Pretty sure a kicker has never left early lol)

I believe janochowski (no idea how to spell it) went early. He was once in a lifetime though.

You are correct. Forgot about that one. Not only that, he was a first rounder...

Archived