Unemployment down

TexasTiger

Funny how you guys didn't object to this measurement under Dubya. Always wanting to rewrite the rules of the game.

Tex that's not right and you know it. I've said more than once they need to release the real rates not the "rates" that make it look better than it is. It's horse***t no matter who the president or which party it is.

When W was president you railed about the 'adjusted' figures but now you think they are A-OK. You guys are always wanting to rewrite the rules of the game.

I don't recall "railing," but please link it if you got it. Regardless, when comparing numbers across years, the same formula needs to be used.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny how you guys didn't object to this measurement under Dubya. Always wanting to rewrite the rules of the game.

Tex that's not right and you know it. I've said more than once they need to release the real rates not the "rates" that make it look better than it is. It's horse***t no matter who the president or which party it is.

When W was president you railed about the 'adjusted' figures but now you think they are A-OK. You guys are always wanting to rewrite the rules of the game.

I don't recall "railing," but please link it if you got it. Regardless, when comparing numbers across years, the same formula needs to be used.

Me either.

I don't get this resentment and angst that is expressed when a given statistic improves, especially if it's the basic statistic that has been used historically. It's not like associated statistics are being hidden. They are almost always discussed as well.

These folks that are so eager to refute good news hate Obama more than they love our country.

More apply for unemployment benefits

WASHINGTON (AP) -

More Americans applied for unemployment benefits last week, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. However, unemployment levels remain at historic lows.

The department says a seasonally-adjusted 276,000 people applied for unemployment aid last week, up from 260,000 the week before. The less-volatile four week average rose by only 3,500 and has remained below 300,000 since late March.

The historically low numbers indicate despite pressure on growth, employers expect the economy to improve, so they hang on to workers. Placement firm Challenger, Gray and Christmas reported payroll reductions in October fell 14 percent from September.

Lower gas prices are helping many parts of the economy except the energy sector, which shed the most jobs of any other sector in the month of October.

Your own citation says that these numbers art historically low.

And that could indicate that a historically low number of people are even looking for work. The number of total employed people is stagnant since 2008 despite the fact that the population of work aged people continues to grow.

Archived