CEO Richard Master Masterminds Full Medicare for All

DKW 86

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ralph-nader/ceo-richard-master-master_b_8495840.html

Just when the prospects for single-payer or full Medicare for everyone, with free choice of doctors and hospitals, appear to be going nowhere, from Pennsylvania's Lehigh Valley comes a stirring that could go national and make single-payer a reality.

Throwing down the gauntlet on the grounds of efficiency and humanness, businessman Richard Master, CEO of MCS Industries Inc., the nation's leading supplier of wall and poster frames, is bent on arousing the nation's business leaders to back single-payer - the efficient full Medicare for all - solution.

The woefully wasteful and profiteering health care industries have blocked majority opinion, and a majority of physicians and nurses, to keep the present sky-high costly system in place, that receives huge taxpayer subsidies without any reasonable, and meaningful, price restraints. Health care companies exploit the complexities of Obamacare, which is powerless to restrain price spirals (note the staggering rise in recent prices of certain drugs). But the health care industry cannot defeat an organized business community fed up with uncontrollable cost burdens and the further competitive disadvantages they experience with western European countries, Japan or Canada - countries that have single-payer systems at half the per capita costs or less.

Mr. Master's first step is now complete. He has produced a short movie called "Fix It: Healthcare at the Tipping Point" which makes a powerful business case for replacing the current wasteful multi-payer system with a single payer one. He traveled with his award-winning filmmakers to Canada, where he interviewed doctors, nurses and conservative business people. The latter were aghast over why their fellow conservatives in the U.S. are not seeing the light.

One industrialist, Dann Konkin, told the filmmakers that he embraces the Canadian healthcare system because it reduces his company's costs. The film quotes Michael Grimaldi, former president of General Motors of Canada, as declaring that the Canadian healthcare system "significantly reduces total labor costs for automobile manufacturing firms." His predecessor, Jack Smith, who went on to head the entire General Motors, said much the same.

Master and his crew then traveled to Taiwan, which has free choice of physician and hospital, and spends just 1.6 percent of its total operating health care budget on administration. Compare that figure with what Master estimates to be over 30 percent in the United States, with every doctor on average paying $80,000 a year on such administration costs.

It is always fascinating to learn what the "aha" moment is for leaders of reform movements. With Master it was a trip to Santiago, Chile to meet the family of his son's fiancé. They went to a pharmacy to buy their usual brand of inhaler, which they purchased for $15. Back home in Easton, PA, the same brand cost between $120 and $140. Then Master had to buy his blood pressure medicine which he did for $4. Back in the U.S. it was $40. That's when Master turned to his family and said, "we have to do something about this."

Single payer will be the VA on steroids. Canadians are happy with theirs because they can drive across the border for specialized treatment that they'd have to wait months for if they could even get it at home.

Single payer will be the VA on steroids. Canadians are happy with theirs because they can drive across the border for specialized treatment that they'd have to wait months for if they could even get it at home.

The VA isn't medicare-- do you know the difference. ?

The more I study the issue, the more I think that single payer has been allowed to become some boogy-man that conservatives get overly scared of. I'm not saying there aren't pitfalls to avoid or tradeoffs to consider. But I don't think it's the locus of all evil and some foreshadowing of Marxism either.

I do know that what we have doesn't work. And it wasn't working before Obamacare either.

Well we will be seeing single payer eventually. There will be good and bad in it just like everything. Does anyone know how its working for any other democracy countries with 322 million people?

Well we will be seeing single payer eventually. There will be good and bad in it just like everything. Does anyone know how its working for any other democracy countries with 322 million people?

No, but we will be the first to try it.

Only the old Soviet Union had free healthcare for all on that scale. wasn't very good, but free. The soviet system was along the model of the British healthcare system or our own. VA. The government owned, controlled and provided healthcare facilities and services. Meaning single payer and single provider.

https://mises.org/li...cine-teaches-us

http://content.healt...0/3/71.full.pdf

The US would be better off under a Canadian style single payer system where each US state ran its own Medicare for all persons insurance program and private doctors and hospitals provided the healthcare. Of course that means payroll taxes have to go up to fund this just like they did in Canada. Businesses would be all for this, it gets them out of providing health insurance to employees.

i had a vendor at work i became friends with who was Canadian. He located here for 5 or 6 years then moved back home. He thought he would like our free market system but hated it. He said the waiting time in Canada is very exaggerated. His parents both passed while he was here but he claimed they got the best treatment and it was very timely. His mom faught cancer on and off for decades. He thought of himself as a conservative, being a devout Mormon. He learned he was very liberal, at least fiscally.

The quality will be epic for the 1% and average at best for the rest of us. The Trojan horse is getting closer and closer.......

i had a vendor at work i became friends with who was Canadian. He located here for 5 or 6 years then moved back home. He thought he would like our free market system but hated it. He said the waiting time in Canada is very exaggerated. His parents both passed while he was here but he claimed they got the best treatment and it was very timely. His mom faught cancer on and off for decades. He thought of himself as a conservative, being a devout Mormon. He learned he was very liberal, at least fiscally.

I have a friend from back in Nashville. He was born and raised in Canada. Moved to the US as an adult when he pursued a career in the music industry (business side, not as an artist). He's conservative, church-going...not at all some sort of Bernie Sanders liberal. He told me once when we discussed it that he never got why the US hadn't done something like the Canadian system. He still thought it crazy that it was tied to an employer and that things cost so much down here. He had some health problems too....was overweight (obese really) for years (he's lost a ton of weight now). He never had any issues up there and everyone was covered.

I have a friend from back in Nashville. He was born and raised in Canada. Moved to the US as an adult when he pursued a career in the music industry (business side, not as an artist). He's conservative, church-going...not at all some sort of Bernie Sanders liberal. He told me once when we discussed it that he never got why the US hadn't done something like the Canadian system. He still thought it crazy that it was tied to an employer and that things cost so much down here. He had some health problems too....was overweight (obese really) for years (he's lost a ton of weight now). He never had any issues up there and everyone was covered.

The Canadians started working toward what they have now in the early 1950s. They setup their Canadian Medicare insurance for all system in 1984. They collect the money on the federal level, but let the provinces run the health insurance plan locally. Their constitution gives the provinces control of healthcare.

They still have private health insurance to cover what Canadian Medicare does not cover, similar to how US Medicare works for 65+. So Canada has a mostly single payer system. I can see extending US Medicare to also cover ages 0 to 65, but that means more payroll taxes. I do like the the idea of each state running it. The private US health insurance companies could provide the supplement policies for 0 - 65 too.

The more I study the issue, the more I think that single payer has been allowed to become some boogy-man that conservatives get overly scared of. I'm not saying there aren't pitfalls to avoid or tradeoffs to consider. But I don't think it's the locus of all evil and some foreshadowing of Marxism either.

I do know that what we have doesn't work. And it wasn't working before Obamacare either.

Sanity... :thumbsup:

Dont be surprised to see the push to replace ACA start to pick up speed after the 2016 Election. Rubio or HRC will start to talk about it right after the State of the Union that February.

Archived