12th Man--Auburn Style!

ToraGirl

A big War Eagle to you all...for it's been a year. This time, last year, in frustration with the "meltdown", I took a break from AUFamily. One of my former students was in a coma to which she succumbed having been hit by a truck enroute to her schoolbus last November 5. All of a sudden, things took the perspective they needed to in my life. November 19 will mark the one-year anniversary of the loss of this precious third-grader, and we will never be the same. Having grown weary of the eternal feud between sunshine pumpers vs. debbie downers, something had to give. What I am going to post now is simply my two cents, but I have yet to find a recent thread that it will duplicate. So, maybe it's time to share it...thanks a lot, Red...because once you posted, I realized I couldn't be quiet any longer! :jossun:

There is ONE missing ingredient for which I can account as I have surveyed posts and threads this season, and that is the one thing we actually can control as fans. Tune me out, those who choose...but for those who are of like mind as I (and I know there are countless, for I remember previous conversations), I invite you to remember that there is a reason why Auburn is unique, and it has nothing to do with stats, wins, or losses. We all want great stats, and we surely want wins. We want the best in all areas for a wide diversity of reasons. But we as fans and Monday morning quarterbacks are helpless to achieve them.

Having grown up in Auburn as the daughter of a three-decade botany professor, I cared little for football, even as a student, even watching Bo Jackson and Chuck Person light the Plains. It was my UNIVERSITY, and it was our family's livelihood. It wasn't until 2010, when I noticed that something beyond what could be seen was taking place on the Plains. It is very simple. The team would never have made it through the Cam-slaught (and all else) without committed prayer partners/warriors/whatever you want to call us lifting them up behind the scenes. I am "friends" with members of the Jacobs family and the Malzahn family on FB, and I am blessed to have known and met some personally and prayed with them. I promise you, prayer makes a difference.

It's not that we are praying to win...but we are praying to REPRESENT...as a team, as a fanbase. We are praying to PERSEVERE, no matter what happens, and if you have watched this young, flawed team, you can see that, despite every adversity, they are doing just that. We are praying for DISCERNMENT in the coaching staff for best practices and getting the "right people on/off the bus." We are praying for SAFETY and FULL RECOVERY when things don't turn out as we wish on that front. We are praying for TEAM COHESION, and we are asking a lot, because few of us could ever imagine what you start with compared to what you end with, both on paper and in person, be it individual or as a group. And we are doing all of this, despite the negativity from the media, opposing fanbases, and even from within, because it's the right thing to do and we honestly believe that bigger things are at stake. "Woodlawn" taught us that. And the Auburn Creed keeps us mindful, too.

2010 was apparently Auburn's year to most recently shine as champions on the national scene. If you remember, Coach Chizik hoisted that football in Arizona and gave glory to God on national television. In subsequent years, no other coach has done that, especially the one in West Vance that I have now begun to grudgingly admit has "good skills" as a coach. Let's admit it...if Alabama were currently in the tank, our year/s since 2010 wouldn't sting so much. But for now, they have their platform, and it is up to them how they use it. We've had ours, and we'll have it again. In the meantime, we have and can choose to maintain something FEW other teams EVER experience, and that's the CHOICE to participate in the intangible essence of becoming, being, and maintaining a force as the 12th Man.

Auburn Family, we are diverse, and as we read and respond to posts, we'd be wise to consider the source...and the Source. We harp at one another who are posting from a wide variety of perspective, age, experience, mental capacity, and for sure, sobriety. :-\ But like Red, I urge you to keep a little perspective, remember that prospective alumni, parents, and student athletes check us out, make impressions, and cast their vote. As well, it does grieve me a bit to give our opponents so much fodder to play with OFF the field due to our antics. On the field is enough!

Rant over! Let's go play...and PRAY! Happy Saturday, ya'll!! Isaiah 40:31!! :wareagle:

P.S. I am for sure certain that it is my lack of starting "LOOKALIKE" threads this year that has jinxed us. But life's too short for that..."to everything there is a season." :nopityA: Someone else with "good skills", go ahead and step up!

Napoleon-Dynamite.jpg

Oh my, I have missed you!!! These words needed to be said and I am so glad you did. I would love to be a part of the prayer warriors that carry this team, the coaches, the players and all their families. I have been disturbed by the harsh criticism toward individuals and have worried about how that looks to others outside our Family and how it feels to those targeted by our criticisms and their families. I know it is a forum and I know it is going to happen, but I really don't want to be a part of that.

Not everyone has the belief that some of us have, but those that do, join in! Let's support this team in the lofty goals that ToraGirl has put in bold caps above.The family that prays together, stays together! I want this team to feel our support like never before :-)

War Eagle always!!!

Well said. God Bless and War Eagle!!

I doubt prayer had anything to do with the success of 2010 but overall it was a grade A posibarner post!! War Eagle!!

It is good to hear from you again ToraGirl. Great post. I pray that you will also continue to push forward after the unfortunate loss of your young student.

And all the people said, "AMEN".

I doubt prayer had anything to do with the success of 2010 but overall it was a grade A posibarner post!! War Eagle!!

If you doubt prayer works..it won't

If you doubt prayer works..it won't

I never said that for one. I have no doubt in my mind that prayer had nothing to do with the 2010 season. And I doubt the mods want the discussion headed that way. So that is it from me regarding this discussion.

Tora, I think we need to pray harder than ever! Not just for Jeremy, but for the Auburn Family not to pile on this kid (and our coaches) if he doesn't do well. Let's support him, everyone.

War Eagle!

Archived