Television Shows

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone watching Young Pope on HBO? Watched the first episode last night. Don't quite know what to think about it yet. Coming off very dark, and Jude Law is playing a very sinister character right out of the gate. 

14 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Anyone watching Young Pope on HBO? Watched the first episode last night. Don't quite know what to think about it yet. Coming off very dark, and Jude Law is playing a very sinister character right out of the gate. 

I only watched a little bit of an episode. It didn't grab me, but you're right about Law. 

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Yes. I've watched several episodes. Law is excellent, but its a strange show. I'll have to reserve my thoughts until I'm finished with it. 

Lately, the wife and I have been watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon, and it's not bad. Giovanni Ribisi plays the main character, and I think he's really good. Supporting cast is very good too. Bryan Cranston and Margo Martindale are in it. I enjoy anything about con men, cons, etc. so that aspect I like, but it's not going to blow your mind. 

25 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Yes. I've watched several episodes. Law is excellent, but its a strange show. I'll have to reserve my thoughts until I'm finished with it. 

Lately, the wife and I have been watching Sneaky Pete on Amazon, and it's not bad. Giovanni Ribisi plays the main character, and I think he's really good. Supporting cast is very good too. Bryan Cranston and Margo Martindale are in it. I enjoy anything about con men, cons, etc. so that aspect I like, but it's not going to blow your mind. 

Is Sneaky Pete graphically violent? The mrs. doesn't handle blood, guts or puke very well. 

This Game of Thrones is hard to stay with. I have watched the first two episodes twice. Now keep falling asleep on the third. Not boring me but watching after working night shift to keep away from kids. Lot of sex. Incest too. Damn

Still liking Taboo. Gritty, dark, tense, with enough complexity to keep me coming back.

Emerald City not so much. Terrible casting for this series. I really liked D'Onofrio in Daredevil and Law & Order (two other series I never cared for despite his good acting in them), but frankly, he totally sux as the wizard in Emerald City. And the girl who plays the Wicked Witch is just not sinister, evil or even remotely convincing in the role. Very poor casting, crappy dialog and scripting. I'm no longer watching that one.

So, I am still not lured into watching much TV. I still read a lot and listen to music a lot during my off hours.

The whole Emerald City thing did affect my reading choices. I went back and re-read McGuire's "Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West." Still one of the most fun fiction books ever. Now reading its sequel "Son of a Witch" told from the perspective of the wicked witch Elphaba's son. A fun read, if not as compelling as the first. His "Confessions if an Ugly Stepsister" (from the Cinderella tale) and "Mirror Mirror" (from the Snow White tale) are also great reads. I had high hopes for Emerald City, hoping it would have the kind of creativity and imagination McGuire created for Oz, and characters who were complex and convincing. Too bad they didn't hire him or buy the rights to his books.

McGuire is not "great literature." Just fun reading. I mix entertainment reading like that in with my more serious reading interests. Hard to pull me away from reading to watch TV.

On 2/2/2017 at 9:15 AM, McLoofus said:

I only watched a little bit of an episode. It didn't grab me, but you're right about Law. 

I'm currently caught up. This is a fine example of Law's acting abilities. I'm impressed. The show is fine, not great. I won't be rewatching. 

I'm a bit curious how true it is to the inner workings of the Vatican. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Caught up on LEGION. Still not 100% sold on it yet, after 3 episodes.  Certainly more 'adult' than anything Marvel's done on t.v.  ( Not including the stuff on Netflix )

Aubrey Plaza , in more of a bit role, is fun to watch. And Jean Smart is looking surprisingly well preserved. 

Man seeking Woman is more of a FXX guilty pleasure sort of viewing. Much like Archer. :laugh: 

• 4 weeks later...

Twin Peaks will also reappear beginning in May, again directed by Lynch and starring McLaughlin, so I'm expecting some really dark weird stuff.

• 2 months later...

New season of House of Cards was madness throughout. 

F is for Family(Netflix) second season was great. Definitely check this show out if you're a fan of Bill Burr. It's animated. 

This season of the Americans was just awful, dull, boring, etc. I hope they're ramping up for the final season next year. Just disappointing for a show I would have once called the best series on cable TV.

Silicon Valley has been awesome thus far.

Watched the first episode of Orange is the New Black tonight. So far, so good.

And that's all the TV I've watched recently. Bring on GoT and Vice Principals though. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2017 at 9:30 PM, alexava said:

Just finished Game of Thrones ready for season 7 next week. This is the best show I have watched.  

Never been as hooked on a show as I am on this one. These last 2 seasons should be memorable.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, CR said:

Never been as hooked on a show as I am on this one. These last 2 seasons should be memorable.

I'm on vacation. I doubt we have HBO here. I have the app but don't know how soon the new episode will be available. Someone will probably spoil it before next Saturday. 

Finished Ozark. What a great show. 

If you are a fan of Breaking Bad, Fargo, the Wire...get on this. 

If the second season, presuming there is going to be one, is every bit as good as the first--then I can see it upstaging BB(probably my favorite series of all time). 

• 1 month later...
On 9/19/2017 at 10:52 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

American Vandal on Netflix was great. It's a perfect satire of Making A Murderer, Serial, etc. 

I'll check it out..

On 9/19/2017 at 10:52 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

American Vandal on Netflix was great. It's a perfect satire of Making A Murderer, Serial, etc. 

Lol, I can't believe I just watched that whole thing.  It was like a Saturday night live skit that went too long, but I somehow kept me entertained.  It doesn't hurt that I already knew Jimmy Tatro from youtube, and a couple of the other characters from shows my kids watch, lol.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2017 at 9:24 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Ozark on Netflix. Watch it. 

Enjoyed it somewhat, but maybe not as much as you. Not a Laura Linney (spelling?) fan right off the bat, but that's not my issue. My problem is more with the writing. It annoyed me how casually the whole family approached their situation throughout the show. It never felt believable to me, and I never got over it. 

**SPOILER ALERT**

The scene where the daughter went swimming...while the parents were fighting...was not only strange but ridiculous. She's like 16 years old and she's a competitive swimmer, yet she almost drowns? For some reason that scene really aggravated me. It bothered me how Bateman didn't turn down the job after his boss' first display of violence when he was in Mexico. His casualness during the entire show bothered me. 

On a positive side, the show really is worth watching. And, the actress who plays the redneck girl is incredible. She's my favorite part of the show hands down. I'm hoping to see her in more recognizable roles in the future. 

• Like 1