AUF Anglers

On ‎12‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 8:49 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Why is December your favorite month to fish? I've found that when the temp finally decided to nosedive, the bite drop off has been drastic. I'm still going 2-4 times a week, but the size and frequency of catches has dropped tremendously. It's forcing me to fish finesse, and I really love power fishing a crankbait. 

Best fishing to me is the coldest months. Shad kill has taken place due to cold and the big mamas get in a pre spawn bite process. My biggest bass have come in Feb with temp around freezing. Feb fishing has yielded me a couple of 10, 1 over 11 and 1 over 12. Fat guts on these females from shad gorging. In the summer time these same fish may be 2 lbs or more lighter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

Best fishing to me is the coldest months. Shad kill has taken place due to cold and the big mamas get in a pre spawn bite process. My biggest bass have come in Feb with temp around freezing. Feb fishing has yielded me a couple of 10, 1 over 11 and 1 over 12. Fat guts on these females from shad gorging. In the summer time these same fish may be 2 lbs or more lighter.

Wow, thanks for the post 80. Guess the rest of us will take our poles and wade back over to the kiddie pool ^-^

18 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Wow, thanks for the post 80. Guess the rest of us will take our poles and wade back over to the kiddie pool ^-^

Sent you a pic. Check your mail.

and what a pic - bass of lifetime for most. I have caught a lot of 7, 8 to 9. Never caught my mount which is going to be 10+. lost her on West Point early 90's. semi-retired now and on the gulf coast and Auburn part time. maybe more time now. There is some overlooked great bass fishing here on the coast. Locals enjoy winter because you do not battle the insects so much

Took a couple days off this week and went to Logan Martin crappie fishing. Brought home 24 Tuesday and 11 yesterday. Should have been more each day but I tried to boat flip a few that were a bit too big for a light wire hook. Typically at this time of year I shoot docks, but for some reason most are coming out in front on brush and much deeper. Caught them as deep as 16' and most in at least 12'. 1/16oz jigs Bobby Garland Monkey Milk grubs.

Possible World Record Spot: Check it out at Jay Kumar's Bassblaster.

67e1c533-0a43-4f3d-875d-80ae74afed1e

Edited by AUFAN78
  • Like 3

Wife's grandfather gave me some of his old(old) bass lures for Christmas. 

wXXxc7Z.jpg

Initially, I wanted to immediately put them into a shadow box display. However, I would prefer to catch a fish on each one then retire each lure in his honor. 

Apparently I made a big impact on his perception of me when I pulled in 8(7 pictured) bass on his little pond on his property on Thanksgiving Day(in about 1.5 hours):

RgQ8Yag.jpg

I have no idea how to fish some of these, but I want to catch one of any size, snap a pic, and stitch a pic together give him on Christmas next year. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain
  • Like 1

Anyone pull a decent Christmas haul?

I got a Mystery Tackle Box subscription. New baitcaster(Daiwa Tatula CT Type R), a rod to go with, a new spinning rod, a Spiderwire sling tackle bag(which is awesome for bank fishing), and finally--a Rapala digital scale with a lip gripper. 

The reel is left handed. I can't decide if I want to send it back, but I think it'd be fun to be ambidextrous. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

On December 21, 2016 at 0:37 PM, 80Tiger said:

Bingo! The colder water also slows down their metabolism so they keep their weight up more than in the summer. 

Edited by autigeremt

On December 21, 2016 at 8:54 AM, SaltyTiger said:

Harding used to be a great. Is it still holding its own? Years ago fished it frequently but it began to get to crowded in the spring, summer, early fall with a mix of recreational watercraft and fisherman.

It still carries some big largemouth. If you fish the river and the sloughs coming down you can bag 16-20 lbs some days. The guy who won our tournament had 19 and 15 for his two days and finished 3rd during their Classic. Most of the big gals are up river or up Halawakee. 

20 hours ago, autigeremt said:

It still carries some big largemouth. If you fish the river and the sloughs coming down you can bag 16-20 lbs some days. The guy who won our tournament had 19 and 15 for his two days and finished 3rd during their Classic. Most of the big gals are up river or up Halawakee. 

Thanks, Halawakee is where I loved to fish until the jet skis ran us off. That was when the evil jet ski was introduced. Thought they owed the lake. 

On 12/24/2016 at 8:00 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Wife's grandfather gave me some of his old(old) bass lures for Christmas. 

wXXxc7Z.jpg

Initially, I wanted to immediately put them into a shadow box display. However, I would prefer to catch a fish on each one then retire each lure in his honor. 

Apparently I made a big impact on his perception of me when I pulled in 8(7 pictured) bass on his little pond on his property on Thanksgiving Day(in about 1.5 hours):

RgQ8Yag.jpg

I have no idea how to fish some of these, but I want to catch one of any size, snap a pic, and stitch a pic together give him on Christmas next year. 

Good stuff. Thanks for starting this thread

On 12/25/2016 at 8:22 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I got a Mystery Tackle Box subscription. New baitcaster(Daiwa Tatula CT Type R), a rod to go with, a new spinning rod, a Spiderwire sling tackle bag(which is awesome for bank fishing), and finally--a Rapala digital scale with a lip gripper. 

The reel is left handed. I can't decide if I want to send it back, but I think it'd be fun to be ambidextrous. 

Nice haul!

If you can do the ambidextrous thing go for it. Comes in handy when tennis/fishing elbow sets in.

Got me a couple Kistler rods and a $100 Bass Pro gift card.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Nice haul!

If you can do the ambidextrous thing go for it. Comes in handy when tennis/fishing elbow sets in.

Got me a couple Kistler rods and a $100 Bass Pro gift card.

I spooled it up and did some practice casts in the pool this afternoon. Doesn't feel as awkward as I thought it might. So I'll hold on to it. 

I used Christmas money and gift cards to buy a GoPro Hero 5 yesterday. So videos may accompany pics in the near future. 

• Like 1

Putting this girl on the block soon. If anyone is interested shoot me a PM.

Image (009).jpg

Haven't been able to get out in close to two weeks(I think), since the last time when my line guides were freezing up. Tomorrow I should be able to get in a little time after work--however, rain is in the forecast--really hoping it holds off. High of 61, daytime temps have been pretty warm these past few days. 

18 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Haven't been able to get out in close to two weeks(I think), since the last time when my line guides were freezing up. Tomorrow I should be able to get in a little time after work--however, rain is in the forecast--really hoping it holds off. High of 61, daytime temps have been pretty warm these past few days. 

It didn't hold off. It was sprinkling when I left and got in a handful of casts before downpour hit. 

But the Tatula feels like butter. 

On 12/25/2016 at 8:22 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

Got a very nice Shimano crappie reel. Love some crappie fishing this time of year. Love to filet and eat fish.Tell you the truth. When it comes to eating fish i will put a crappie, bluegill, or cold water spot up against anything that swims in the Gulf.

• Like 1

Headed to BPS-Memphis for the first time tomorrow. Got a $50 gift card to spend, anything I should be on the search for?

Otherwise, I'm just going to stock up on lures--crankbaits specifically. 

36 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Headed to BPS-Memphis for the first time tomorrow. Got a $50 gift card to spend, anything I should be on the search for?

Otherwise, I'm just going to stock up on lures--crankbaits specifically. 

Good call.