Gus theory #87

auburnatl1

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Absolutely. The actual reason for the HUNH is #1 it keeps the defense from substituting. If you look back it has become the thing to use Your bigger players for the first two downs to force a third down and long then the defense would substitute the passing defense in. If they got a first then they substituted there run defense back in. So the HUNH prevents coaches from running package defenses in and out. Now it does cause the defenses to get tired but in truth it should not be any more tired than the offense if both teams are equally conditioned. #2 it allows more time once the offense gets to the line for the OC to change the play based on the defense set up. I think to many folks get the HUNH mixed up with OCs using a bunch of motion and slight of hand movement. Two totally different things that can be run together or indivually.

When our defense was horrible it was at its worst on the opponents opening drive of the game and usually better in the second half. Not to say they don't get tired playing faster but the stats didn't support the theory that it was THE problem. 

9 hours ago, alexava said:

When our defense was horrible it was at its worst on the opponents opening drive of the game and usually better in the second half. Not to say they don't get tired playing faster but the stats didn't support the theory that it was THE problem. 

Sorry I had to change that not our  defense the opponents. I never thought the HUNH had anything to do with our defense other than when our offense started doing three and outs it puts  the defense in a bad position. Ellis is a good guy but played to much prevent defense that is why we rarely got a three and out.

Archived