Lindsey Talks Offense

aubiefifty

ITAT HD: Lindsey Talks Offense During Bye Week

Auburn offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey talks Jarrett Stidham, running backs and more during the bye week for the Tigers.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, CR said:

So the assistants "decided" they  wanted to speak to the media again?

Exactly. I’m sure the tensions were high atleast with the offensive staff after the loss. It’s doubly interesting that it only took a week to let them “decide” to speak to the media again. 

52 minutes ago, CR said:

So the assistants "decided" they  wanted to speak to the media again?

Maybe they boycotted due to Gus and his atrocious mis-management of the LSU game?

57 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Exactly. I’m sure the tensions were high atleast with the offensive staff after the loss. It’s doubly interesting that it only took a week to let them “decide” to speak to the media again. 

A week?  I don't think either coordinator has talked to the media since the Mercer game, which I'm 100% fine with.

2 things.  

1) Can we please get a microphone to the reporters asking the questions?

2) So according to CCL we are not attacking the middle of the field because of the what the D is giving us.  So through 8 games is he really trying to sell that no defenses have had the middle of the field open?

8 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

2 things.  

2) So according to CCL we are not attacking the middle of the field because of the what the D is giving us.  So through 8 games is he really trying to sell that no defenses have had the middle of the field open?

That may be the dumbest thing I have heard in a while. LSU gave us the middle of the field all second half and we still did nothing about it. Is it just me or are the Auburn reporters doing a terrible job in challenging our coaches on issues like this? Why don't they be more specific and reference the LSU game, etc...? Do they just not know enough about the X's and O's to be able to ask more specific questions?

8 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

So according to CCL we are not attacking the middle of the field because of the what the D is giving us

Translated: Gus is still scared to throw down the middle after the Georgia Southern interception over the middle of the field.

9 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

2 things.  

He said not throwing to the middle of the field was "probably" due to coverage.  He doesn't know?  Does this mean Gus was doing the play-calling?

Just now, RunInRed said:

SMH at this one ...

It appears he is taking on the personality of his mentor and HC.  Ouch.

27 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

That may be the dumbest thing I have heard in a while. LSU gave us the middle of the field all second half and we still did nothing about it. Is it just me or are the Auburn reporters doing a terrible job in challenging our coaches on issues like this? Why don't they be more specific and reference the LSU game, etc...? Do they just not know enough about the X's and O's to be able to ask more specific questions?

I'm not disagreeing with your questions when I say this but according to several on here the media is reading this forum and getting info to write their articles (who knows?). If so then they should know what to say based on the complaints posted here about the passing game. :-\

53 minutes ago, thaitopher said:

I think the reporters are asking leading questions to see if CCL will give any insight to how he is running the offense.  CCL is giving lip service to the reporters, just like his boss does, and it comes off as disingenuous (at least to me).  Our offensive coaches think the reporters are not smart enough to understand anything past the basic level of offense.

CCL’s quotes are boarding on the Butch Jones level.

Compare CCL’s interview with that of CKS’s interview for frankness and level of knowledge of his players.  Then compare the performance of their respective side of the ball.  Hmmmm.

I think Chip Lindsey's mannerisms are so much like Michael Keaton, the actor. It makes me laugh the way he moves as he talks and his quick words are just like the actor. lol.

Now, regarding his comments. It is easy to pick on what he didn't say or how he said it in regards to the offense, but I am just glad he showed up and offered some reasoning. Whether we believe or not, who knows. I would have to go back and check every video of their offense to verify what guys say here or what he says. It's probably somewhere inbetween.

I do think he is a little defensive, but he is young and probably feels some pressure after what happened at LSU. 

I just want him to learn and grow and to use all of his play sheet. Its important that we see an OC that will be able to adjust to the problems they are having execute or what a strong D will shut down, and it will happen with GA and Alabama. I think we are going to have to outscore TaM. 

I saw some improvement at Ark ,now we need to see the same against the better teams now.

Go back into hiding Chip.....it's better to give us the impression that your boss is the idiot, than for you to open your mouth and make us think its you. :-\

4 hours ago, thaitopher said:

Yep, I mean the obvious follow up question to that answer is, " Well what about when they continuously DO give you the middle and you STILL don't throw there ? "

3 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I think the reporters are asking leading questions to see if CCL will give any insight to how he is running the offense.  CCL is giving lip service to the reporters, just like his boss does, and it comes off as disingenuous (at least to me).  Our offensive coaches think the reporters are not smart enough to understand anything past the basic level of offense.

CCL’s quotes are boarding on the Butch Jones level.

Compare CCL’s interview with that of CKS’s interview for frankness and level of knowledge of his players.  Then compare the performance of their respective side of the ball.  Hmmmm.

Similar to Muschamp and Lashlee speaking. It's almost like there's a pattern.

If you read what Stat said (a few times), CL was not a very impressive hire. He is a glorified GA that knows how to run the Gus system. Basically Gus hired a "mini-me". There is a chance that the intermediate passing routes and passes to the TEs are just not in the playbook - at least not at the moment. It makes you wonder what happened to the plays we called to Lutz when he was on the team. 

Everyone, and I mean everybody, knows our basic plays: dive up the middle with the RB (about 20 times a game and 100% of the time after a long first down), a deep pass (about 4 times a game), quick WR screen to Davis, and the good ole wheel route to the rb. If Stidham goes to the line (under center) it is usually a hand-off to stove going down the line or a quick toss (sweep) to the RB. 

I am not saying there is anything wrong with having the bread and butter plays. There are only so many plays you can dial up to run the ball. I am saying that depending on our formations and personnel it has been pretty easy to see what we are going to run. We have to give Stidham more options and he has to get rid of the ball quick. He is a passer, plain and simple. 

One last note: IMO That is why having the un-predictability of a running QB is so important. That is the X factor. It is the same reason Uat and Clemson are thriving. Their offenses actually break down a decent amount if you watch their games, but their QBs scramble for the first down and they start all over. Take away that QB/threat? See Clemson vs Syracuse. 

The window for the full, wide-open middle is closing for us.  Historically, our run first means putting 8-9 defenders up front.  You can't run cause there are just too many blobs of protoplasm in the way.  Forget skill set.  So we look and face palm the entire game hoping for slants, curls, shallow cross, te etc.  We got a problem.  We're going to hit GA and Bama and we may begin attacking the middle - hard.  I get the idea everyone's hoping this.  But wait, we haven't been executing this all year, and all of a sudden we're going to exploit these defenses.  Oops, we're underdeveloped and inexperienced for mid-routes and as soon as we try GA & Bama will leave the front to do their job (of which they'll be quite capable of) and we'll have our hat (use anatomy part of your discretion) handed to us. I'm afraid this "bust through" offensive initiative will just be bust.  

5 hours ago, RunInRed said:

SMH at this one ...

Why is this so alarming? This has coach speak written all over it. 

Lindsey and Malzahn both know why they are doing what they are doing. They both use coach speak consistently to deflect questions or answer them. I agree it’s annoying but it certainly isnt new.

Malzahn has intermediate pass options or atleast has used them in the past. Lindsey used them at Southern Miss and ASU. The decision to not use them or to use them very sparingly is what is so frustrating. If we can see it, they definitely can. 

Hell look at Lashlee right now at UCONN. His offense is throwing 38% of the time on first down and they’re averaging 300yds passing a game and 130yds rushing a game. 

I obviously don’t know why Malzahn and crew have handled things the way they have, but they have continued the trend which has led to some dumb losses in winnable games. In the end, the days are numbered and it’s no ones fault but his own.

6 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

I obviously don’t know why Malzahn and crew have handled things the way they have, but they have continued the trend which has led to some dumb losses in winnable games. In the end, the days are numbered and it’s no ones fault but his own.

I agree with this in the end. 

All we as fans are asking for is good reasoning why they are NOT running certain plays or using certain players, but we get coach-speak.

We are asking for the offense to NOT be predictable, or the game plan to be so outrageous that we struggle a whole game to find any kind of offense.

Why did you recruit a receiving TE in Sal, if you're never going to include him in each game plan? 

We are asking CGM and CCL to keep the defense off balance and guessing on your playcalling, NOT the Auburn fans.....

In the end, it will cost them their jobs, if we don't beat our 2 biggest rivalries again. 

5 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I agree with this in the end. 

All we as fans are asking for is good reasoning why they are NOT running certain plays or using certain players, but we get coach-speak.

We are asking for the offense to NOT be predictable, or the game plan to be so outrageous that we struggle a whole game to find any kind of offense.

Why did you recruit a receiving TE in Sal, if you're never going to include him in each game plan? 

We are asking CGM and CCL to keep the defense off balance and guessing on your playcalling, NOT the Auburn fans.....

In the end, it will cost them their jobs, if we don't beat our 2 biggest rivalries again. 

Canella isn't a TE.  He's as much a TE as Kyle Davis was.  He took some reps there and some at HBack but he's just a big WR.  He's had chances some not thrown to him and some have been.  He's had a case of the dropitis.  

No coach OC or head coach is going to sit in an interview and say why we will or haven't attacked a portion of the field.  Coach Steele gets credit for his gift of the gab but they aren't asking him leverage questions.  They aren't asking him to breakdown why when we do blitz it's either the A gap or from the field side.  Never double blitz off the edge or from the boundary.   Or why we don't bracket coverage on a certain WR.  

52 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Why is this so alarming? This has coach speak written all over it. 

Lindsey and Malzahn both know why they are doing what they are doing. They both use coach speak consistently to deflect questions or answer them. I agree it’s annoying but it certainly isnt new.

Malzahn has intermediate pass options or atleast has used them in the past. Lindsey used them at Southern Miss and ASU. The decision to not use them or to use them very sparingly is what is so frustrating. If we can see it, they definitely can. 

Hell look at Lashlee right now at UCONN. His offense is throwing 38% of the time on first down and they’re averaging 300yds passing a game and 130yds rushing a game. 

I would have rather heard: It's my job to put points on the board, regardless who the opponent is.

Archived