End could be near for Jacobs

GwillMac6

The article quotes the differences between Auburn and UAT AD depts for senior staff and their salaries.   Something is out of wack if Auburn is spending 50% more on salaries.  Unless UAT just puts the extra money all on the football program 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, cptau said:

The article quotes the differences between Auburn and UAT AD depts for senior staff and their salaries.   Something is out of wack if Auburn is spending 50% more on salaries.  Unless UAT just puts the extra money all on the football program 

They pay all the "handlers" for the 5 stars.  That's how they walk hr straight and narrow.  Plus they change the Dodge Chargers oil every 3,000 miles. 

30 minutes ago, TNtiger55 said:

They pay all the "handlers" for the 5 stars.  That's how they walk hr straight and narrow.  Plus they change the Dodge Chargers oil every 3,000 miles. 

and the suits...don’t forget about the suits.

Well I am hearing an announcement is imminently due on the AD situation soon. This is 3rd hand and should be taken for what its worth. But I tend to believe a decision has been made. 

3 minutes ago, auskull said:

Well I am hearing an announcement is imminently due on the AD situation soon. This is 3rd hand and should be taken for what its worth. But I tend to believe a decision has been made. 

All I know to know is, what time do we all get together and roll Toomer's Corner? 

1 hour ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Does anyone know what he is going to get? I heard he asked for transportation to and from all away games as well as box seats. 

JJ will be like TT or PD. He will

be allowed to hang out, just no official say or influence.

5 hours ago, smackydoodle said:

I keep seeing Tuberville pop up in various locations about the AD. Is it an on-going joke or are people serious? If for real, in what way does Tubs qualify?

People always want Auburn to move past the inside good ol boy politics, yet always want someone associated with the program of the past to be put back into a prominent position.

Tubbs is no inside good ole boy and will never be offered the job; as he more than once took on the inside good ole boys and they didn’t like it.

14 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Tubbs is no inside good ole boy and will never be offered the job; as he more than once took on the inside good ole boys and they didn’t like it.

Exactly why I would like to see him get it.  He's an Auburn man to the point he knows our tradition and areas of importance to alums/fans, but not to the point that he is scared of the PTB's and blindly follows. He never had any NCAA trouble as coach and seemed to be good at raising funds to support the program.  I know it's not the most popular choice around here but I would really support this.  

6 hours ago, imaolgatiger said:

I’m ready for a change in the AD, but I would venture to say that most of the people that complain the most about JJ never attended Auburn, don’t attend games and have never had any type of interaction with him. Our fan base seems to always pile on anything that seems negative about our University.

I've met JJ many times over the years.  He's always been very nice in person - most recently shook his hand and spoke briefly at an Equestrian event in early 2017 - and he was my fraternity's adviser when JJ worked in the Alumni Center office years ago.  I think we probably need a change due to:

1. On the field results by many programs

2. The issues swarming around the various programs at the moment

He's not done a terrible job - not a terrific job either - just time for a change.

Tubs for governor ?   that really went a long way didn't it ?.     Worst thing a school can have is an AD who can't get along with the PTB and donors......just check Texas if you need an example.  

Athletics is not be some independent fiefdom answerable to nobody....it's part of the university and answerable to the BOT and Pres....as it should be.  It's also a major business enterprise and it would be helpful to have someone with a business background....not somebody who thinks he is still part of the coaching staff.

There is no indication that JJ ever even suggested a play to one of our HCs....and I'm hoping the next AD keeps that kind of distance too.

25 minutes ago, WarDlowe said:

Exactly why I would like to see him get it.  He's an Auburn man to the point he knows our tradition and areas of importance to alums/fans, but not to the point that he is scared of the PTB's and blindly follows. He never had any NCAA trouble as coach and seemed to be good at raising funds to support the program.  I know it's not the most popular choice around here but I would really support this.  

Tuberville's decisions relative to his friends over what was best for Auburn football is what directly led to his departure.  It is even why Jetgate happened.  Had it not been discovered, Bobby Petrino would have likely been the coach of the 2004 team.  The PTB's did not want Tuberville gone because he was some kind of rebel, bucking their authority.  They wanted him gone because he foolishly promoted a friend instead of hiring a qualified offensive coordinator, and squandered a season in embarrassing fashion.  I was at the 2003 USC, Ole Miss, and Georgia games.  I understood exactly why they quietly tried to secure Petrino as his replacement.  I would have pitched in for Jet A, had they asked.

Since we know we will employ and stubbornly retain his friends, and that is a huge red flag to me, what qualifies him to oversee the entirety of Auburn Athletics?  Apparently all you have to do is beat Alabama six times in a row, and people want to give you control over the entire Athletic Department.  The absolute last thing that Gus (assuming he stays) or the next head coach need to deal with is a mediocre former coach looking over their shoulder.

19 minutes ago, DunwoodyTiger said:

I've met JJ many times over the years.  He's always been very nice in person - most recently shook his hand and spoke briefly at an Equestrian event in early 2017 - and he was my fraternity's adviser when JJ worked in the Alumni Center office years ago.  I think we probably need a change due to:

1. On the field results by many programs

2. The issues swarming around the various programs at the moment

He's not done a terrible job - not a terrific job either - just time for a change.

He’s made some decent hires with basketball, baseball, and softball.  Baseball is on the rise and softball played for the natty.  Basketball should start to become extremely competitive in the next year if the NCAA doesn’t take all the recruits away.  That being said he had to know the rumors about clint meyers and Sonny Galloway and Bruce was a high risk high reward hire.  Say what you will about Gus but he’s not doing terrible.  Also have to look at $ and academics which I think Auburn does fairly well.  I’m not for or against the guy but I will say those shirts circulating are in very poor taste.  I understand their popularity but I’m also embarrassed that we would take the low road as fans of student athletics.

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

He’s made some decent hires with basketball, baseball, and softball.  Baseball is on the rise and softball played for the natty.  Basketball should start to become extremely competitive in the next year if the NCAA doesn’t take all the recruits away.  That being said he had to know the rumors about clint meyers and Sonny Galloway and Bruce was a high risk high reward hire.  Say what you will about Gus but he’s not doing terrible.  Also have to look at $ and academics which I think Auburn does fairly well.  I’m not for or against the guy but I will say those shirts circulating are in very poor taste.  I understand their popularity but I’m also embarrassed that we would take the low road as fans of student athletics.

I stopped reading right there.....2-6 against our biggest rivals?  We beat the weak teams like a drum mostly and out-coach nobody.  We lost to the "village idiot" after going up 20-0.  We gave up 28 points in the second half against UGA that required the tipped ball/catch in 2013.  He is averaging 7 points in the second half of nearly every loss over the past 2-3 years????  My local HS program adjusts better at halftime than he does.  

Whew...........

247Sports is Click Bait and PM is head chef

Anyone know if Leath (?) has had to replace an AD before?    Could be some insight into his thoughts.  

20 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I stopped reading right there.....2-6 against our biggest rivals?  We beat the weak teams like a drum mostly and out-coach nobody.  We lost to the "village idiot" after going up 20-0.  We gave up 28 points in the second half against UGA that required the tipped ball/catch in 2013.  He is averaging 7 points in the second half of nearly every loss over the past 2-3 years????  My local HS program adjusts better at halftime than he does.  

Whew...........

Didn’t say he was great.  Auburn is in better shape than 3/4 of the teams in the SEC.  That’s not terrible.

1 hour ago, WarDlowe said:

Oh, he is my number one choice!

I’m just telling you, for the reasons listed above, it’s not going to happen.

2 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Oh, he is my number one choice!

I’m just telling you, for the reasons listed above, it’s not going to happen.

If it were Tubs, I might throw myself off of a bridge.

10 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Didn’t say he was great.  Auburn is in better shape than 3/4 of the teams in the SEC.  That’s not terrible.

Really? Your goal is to be in better shape than 3/4 of the teams in the WEAKEST the sec has been in years? Not terrible? I dunno about you but that is not even close to where I want this program to be and not close to where we should be as a program with all the talent we have accumulated. You are settling. Why? Auburn is the biggest sleeping giant in college football. If we just get our s&*t together and stop this underdog mentality so many of the admin and fans have we can be the hunted instead of the hunter and be a consistent top 10 team every year winning 10 games.  If Gus continues to be the coach we will continue to look great against the sec bottom feeders and also continue to lose every year to our biggest rivals. WE ARE AUBURN we are a really good to great program and we can and need to do better than Gus. Everything is in place for us to have sustained greatness. Just have to find the coach to get us there. Gus is not that. We know what we have in gus. A 7-5 and 8-4 coach. AU needs to stop settling get off our butts and quit falling behind as our 2 biggest rivals are on a collision course to be undefeated in the sec title game. Georgia took a big chance firing richt after a 10 win season and it is paying off in recruiting and on the field. Not terrible is a attitude that is simply unacceptable.

52 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I've had a tendency to go nuclear so I'm going to extend some restraint.  You are out of your mind.  Jay Jacobs is a thief and a liar and has sucked the life out this athletic department.  If you're hanging Jacobs hat on "basketball should...." and "he's not doing terrible." then you're not fan-atical enough.  He WAS a great fund raiser.  Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever should have gotten the job.  Just happened to be in the right place at the right time and have the right guy supporting him.  The shirts are mild considering what he deserves.  That guy has thrown everybody under the bus to keep his job, it is well past time for him to have been thrown out on his ass.

1 minute ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

I've had a tendency to go nuclear so I'm going to extend some restraint.  You are out of your mind.  Jay Jacobs is a thief and a liar and has sucked the life out this athletic department.  If you're hanging Jacobs hat on "basketball should...." and "he's not doing terrible." then you're not fan-atical enough.  He WAS a great fund raiser.  Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever should have gotten the job.  Just happened to be in the right place at the right time and have the right guy supporting him.  The shirts are mild considering what he deserves.  That guy has thrown everybody under the bus to keep his job, it is well past time for him to have been thrown out on his ass.

standing-ovation.gif

42 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Anyone know if Leath (?) has had to replace an AD before?    Could be some insight into his thoughts.  

I would say NO Leath at Iowa State 2012 and this Pollard, who has held the position since 2005, is currently the third longest tenured athletic director in the Big 12 Conference.

http://www.iowastatedaily.com/sports/article_bc79c26a-d77d-11e6-aad4-5b71c4f411f5.html

Archived