End could be near for Jacobs

GwillMac6

23 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I don’t know who but let’s look at something. uga fires Mark who had a much better overall record than Gus. They hired Smart after J J would not. Now two years in at uga and KS has had a very similar start as did NS . Second year even with an injured starting QB he is headed for the SEC championship game and still a contender for the playoff late in October. Just saying sometimes when you hit a wall you have to take a chance and move sideways before you can go forward again.

On the flip side, since firing Fulmer, UT has had Kiffin, Dooley and Jones.  How's that working out for them?

Not saying AU should or shouldn't fire Gus, I am saying the full season should tell the story, and until then I will support the whole team, 100%.  But firing a coach can have some very real downside as well. 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GoAU said:

On the flip side, since firing Fulmer, UT has had Kiffin, Dooley and Jones.  How's that working out for them?

Not saying AU should or shouldn't fire Gus, I am saying the full season should tell the story, and until then I will support the whole team, 100%.  But firing a coach can have some very real downside as well. 

Keeping a coach that shuts the money down to the program from the boosters does more damage

The problem with our BOT that I have seen a few articles written about from AU reporters is they want to see the stadium upgrades paid for themselves but college athletics is unlike any other business. You got to spend money to make money and get a return on the investment. Of course jar jar being AD did not help when it came to trying to get the big time stadium upgrades we need. All he could get done is little lipstick on a pig and band aids in the jaybotron.

26 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

The problem with our BOT that I have seen a few articles written about from AU reporters is they want to see the stadium upgrades paid for themselves but college athletics is unlike any other business. You got to spend money to make money and get a return on the investment. Of course jar jar being AD did not help when it came to trying to get the big time stadium upgrades we need. All he could get done is little lipstick on a pig and band aids in the jaybotron.

The money is there for the upgrades. It was that the money wasn't going to be entrusted to JJ

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I lol'd @ Jar Jar being our AD.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Keeping a coach that shuts the money down to the program from the boosters does more damage

As a guy with a child at UT, I can tell you the boosters there are not throwing money to the program in appreciation.  Honestly, they'd love to be in our shoes right now. 

However, don't confuse what I'm saying with being happy with where we are. I think everyone here wants the same thing - a very successful AU program.  The only thing I am not completely sold on is how to get there. I think that'll be a lot easier to determine in a few more weeks. I'd be much happier moving from a top 25 team into a consistent top 10 team than rolling the dice and potentially dropping right out of the top 25 and watching recruiting dry up on an unknown entity.  I am admittedly a bit on the conservative side though.  As long as he doesn't lose the team, I am not likely to scream for heads mid season - it goes by too fast to be miserable about it. 

7 minutes ago, GoAU said:

As a guy with a child at UT, I can tell you the boosters there are not throwing money to the program in appreciation.  Honestly, they'd love to be in our shoes right now. 

However, don't confuse what I'm saying with being happy with where we are. I think everyone here wants the same thing - a very successful AU program.  The only thing I am not completely sold on is how to get there. I think that'll be a lot easier to determine in a few more weeks. I'd be much happier moving from a top 25 team into a consistent top 10 team than rolling the dice and potentially dropping right out of the top 25 and watching recruiting dry up on an unknown entity.  I am admittedly a bit on the conservative side though.  As long as he doesn't lose the team, I am not likely to scream for heads mid season - it goes by too fast to be miserable about it. 

I can tell the way not to get there: Gus. Will he ever implode like Chiz did and go 3-9? NO! But honestly at least that made it blatantly obvious to 99% of the fanbase that we needed to make a change. Gus going 7-5 and 8-4 makes people always believe that he will figure it out and the next season is the one that will be the year for him. We are wallowing in mediocrity. He is our less successful Mark Richt right now. 

22 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I can tell the way not to get there: Gus. Will he ever implode like Chiz did and go 3-9? NO! But honestly at least that made it blatantly obvious to 99% of the fanbase that we needed to make a change. Gus going 7-5 and 8-4 makes people always believe that he will figure it out and the next season is the one that will be the year for him. We are wallowing in mediocrity. He is our less successful Mark Richt right now. 

Well said sir.  I would also add this...when is the last time we let go of a coach and hired a new one who was a complete disaster at Auburn? All of our hires since Dye have had some success and each one had at least one spectacular season. So all of those worried about what would happen with a new coach are being overly cautious. 

Just now, OnthePlains said:

Well said sir.  I would also add this...when is the last time we let go of a coach and hired a new one who was a complete disaster at Auburn? All of our hires since Dye have had some success and each one had at least one spectacular season. So all of those worried about what would happen with a new coach are being overly cautious. 

I rather be proactive and TRY to be great and get us where we all want to go then just be complacent and be content with being a mediocre program. It is no fun going in to each year knowing Gus is going to crap the bed against the teams that matter on our schedule. EXACTLY!!! It shows how great a program Auburn is where literally anyone can even have 1 great season. It takes a true really good coach to sustain that and we are still searching for that.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

I rather be proactive and TRY to be great and get us where we all want to go then just be complacent and be content with being a mediocre program. It is no fun going in to each year knowing Gus is going to crap the bed against the teams that matter on our schedule. EXACTLY!!! It shows how great a program Auburn is where literally anyone can even have 1 great season. It takes a true really good coach to sustain that and we are still searching for that.

Agreed 

26 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

And if I could add, in my lifetime NO coach has left AU and had success to any degree at any other job. AU was raked over the coals(esp nationally) for letting Bowden go but he never sniffed another job close to this one. Ones I've been around for would be Barfield, Dye, Bowden, Oliver, Tuberville, Chizik. AU was criticized to varying degrees for each of their departures(not Barfield prob) but none of them had coaching success post-AU.

5 hours ago, CR said:

And if I could add, in my lifetime NO coach has left AU and had success to any degree at any other job. AU was raked over the coals(esp nationally) for letting Bowden go but he never sniffed another job close to this one. Ones I've been around for would be Barfield, Dye, Bowden, Oliver, Tuberville, Chizik. AU was criticized to varying degrees for each of their departures(not Barfield prob) but none of them had coaching success post-AU.

Ol' Chiz had success going back to a DC but he decided to hang it up to spend more time with family. But otherwise, I agree. Lol

7 hours ago, Linayus said:

Ol' Chiz had success going back to a DC but he decided to hang it up to spend more time with family. But otherwise, I agree. Lol

Yeah, but for an HC with an NC its very interesting that no school offered him an HC gig.

19 hours ago, GoAU said:

I agree you never know what you will get. Point is Gus has already provided you with a look at what you get with him. Someone mentioned th other day saying KS and NS’s records their first two years were comparable and they are but the truth is that Gus’s good year came the first year and has been downhill since. If I saw any improvement then I could have some hope. Problem is there has been none. With very little work by any coach AU can pull a top ten class because of who we are. TT didn’t because him and his gang refused to put any effort in it.i mean if your happy never competing for anything then Gus is your guy, but Gus is never going to win anything else because he is going backwards. 

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Just like offensive “wizards”

They typically don’t have bad defenses! LOL!

5 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Just like offensive “wizards”

Uh, that's offensive genius or guru. Whichever one is considered best, although Gus isn't really either one.

4 hours ago, milehighfan said:

Uh, that's offensive genius or guru. Whichever one is considered best, although Gus isn't really either one.

See, you just don't get it.  Gus is so highly evolved offensively he is actually setting up plays 3 years from now with all these runs.  In 2020 bama won't know what hit em!! 

Our next AD doesn't need to have any Auburn connections. The person that has any connections but would be a good AD would be Tommy Tuberville.

13 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

See, you just don't get it.  Gus is so highly evolved offensively he is actually setting up plays 3 years from now with all these runs.  In 2020 bama won't know what hit em!! 

Sounds like a plan. Anything to keep Bama from their 30th National Championship. Or will it be 40 by then, I keep losing count. 

Archived