Relationship between Gus and Rod Bramblett

Linayus

Apologies if this is not a topic worthy of discussion but it's been something I've been wondering about a lot lately.

Maybe I've missed something along the way, or maybe I haven't, but I try to watch the live stream of our Tiger Talk broadcasts when I can. So naturally, I get to see what Gus and Rod do when they go to commercial and even how they interact when they are actually conversing during the show. Let me also say I have never been there in person so I can only see what's on camera.

But to the point - I get the feeling that Rod and Gus are not on good terms. They don't really talk during commercials. Gus gets up and leaves the table constantly during the breaks. They rarely ever even look at each other when they are discussing the game or taking questions. I know the job can get repetitive and can be a chore, but if you like each other you'd still look at each other while talking or joke a bit during commercials. None of this happens. What is the deal between the two? Has Rod (unlikely) been vocally critical of Gus at some point? Do they just hate each other? (Who could hate Rod?!) They are both 100% professional during their segments but there is obviously tension there. Someone help me see the light!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just my guess.  I’ve never seen it but do listen periodically.

id imagine gus is talking with vip’s or boosters/fans during breaks.  Yucking it up with the auburn folks is part of the job.

during the broadcast, at least when at the restaurant, there is a live audience they are facing I’d imagine.

i think they recently did a show without an audience?  Maybe they were facing you via the camera?  They aren’t really tv people so they may simply not know what is the best way to face?

I wouldn’t even care if Gus had the personality of “Rain Man” as long as he didn’t make bone headed coaching decisions and he won a meaningful game every once in a while.

Honestly, I question Gus' social skills as stated above.  

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

gus is just an awkward dude...

And yes, he does seem to have a little Asperger   or more likely OCD.  Either way, it's real and noticeable at times.

1 hour ago, Altima said:

that’s it...

I think there is more truth to that than people realize.

Bottom line, Gus is an idiot and has no clue as to act like a HC at a school that should be a power year in and year out. Doubt Arky would take him. He brings 0 to the table as far as a leader. His presses are always the exact same. Same garbage spewing from his piehole. Just my opinion! Would love to be wrong though!

1 minute ago, Deemer 47 said:

Bottom line, Gus is an idiot and has no clue as to act like a HC at a school that should be a power year in and year out. Doubt Arky would take him. He brings 0 to the table as far as a leader. His presses are always the exact same. Same garbage spewing from his piehole. Just my opinion! Would love to be wrong though!

Prefer that over jones, Orgeron, Odom or mcelwain. Just saying it could be a lot worse

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

I think there is more truth to that than people realize.

Gus certainly has Rainman type qualities.  He is a goofy SOG.

wde

Rod Bramblett's job is literally to pump sunshine.  Gus has made that job rather difficult when he is not demolishing inferior teams.  I suspect that has had an impact over the last few years.

5 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Rod Bramblett

Fixed - I am forever saying Rob. I can't seem to help it. Lol

I will have to attend one of the shows once I move back to Auburn (in about 4 months). Gus may not be coach by then but if he is maybe I'll get a better idea of what goes on.

I do know he smiles and is pleasant toward fans that approach during breaks but then goes right back to acting like Rod isn't sitting a foot away from him. It's just odd!

44 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Rod Bramblett's job is literally to pump sunshine.  Gus has made that job rather difficult when he is not demolishing inferior teams.  I suspect that has had an impact over the last few years.

I guess that's so but he's not that good at it in my view.  There is no particular reason why they should be friends or even act like it.    Each has a job to do and they might not be totally compatible.......seems Rod sometimes takes liberties acting as a second guesser and critic. .Perhaps Rod considers himself as a member of the media and not an employee of the program.  JMO

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

I guess that's so but he's not that good at it in my view.  There is no particular reason why they should be friends or even act like it.    Each has a job to do and they might not be totally compatible.......seems Rod sometimes takes liberties acting as a second guesser and critic. .Perhaps Rod considers himself as a member of the media and not an employee of the program.  JMO

I think he walks the line between pumping sunshine (usually where we have plenty to pump) and calling Gus out on the challenges the team faces (like early o-line struggles). And he does it somewhat indirectly so Gus can skirt around answering it. Lol

16 minutes ago, Linayus said:

I think he walks the line between pumping sunshine (usually where we have plenty to pump) and calling Gus out on the challenges the team faces (like early o-line struggles). And he does it somewhat indirectly so Gus can skirt around answering it. Lol

True....and as noted...Gus has no personality so not easy to engage him either. . 

How would you like to win the first prize in a contest that includes  a weekend with Gus at some fancy golf course? ...think I would try to find out what second prize was before accepting. :)

I am sorry, but do any of you think that Gus does not see the writing on the wall, he is going through the motions on all press stuff, even more so than his normal dull self.  He does not have a TV personality, he has proven to be a bad game day coach and his offense died years ago.  It must suck knowing you screwed everything up and it was your own ego that is to blame.

My personal opinion regarding Gus' demeanor is that he is simply not enjoying being the head coach and all the duties that come with it. If he could do it all over he would probably stay an OC.

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

Aspergersesque even

Been saying this for awhile actually. And I'm a Special Education teacher. He shows a lot of signs of it. High functioning.

4 minutes ago, AUTiger25 said:

Been saying this for awhile actually. And I'm a Special Education teacher. He shows a lot of signs of it. High functioning.

It would definitely explain some things. I wonder if he has been diagnosed? Lol

16 hours ago, Linayus said:

My personal opinion regarding Gus' demeanor is that he is simply not enjoying being the head coach and all the duties that come with it. If he could do it all over he would probably stay an OC.

He is probably dissatisfied with himself over botching the play calling duties. He wrote a book on the HUNH and probably took much pride in his work. He seriously may feel out of place not calling the plays. He is also probably little too OCD on the details causing himself to be and to stay frustrated. I know he said he felt frustrated last year. There really isn’t a win for him as far as whether he is calling the plays or not.  

12 minutes ago, AUTiger25 said:

I love the show “the Good Doctor!”

4 hours ago, Altima said:

that’s it...

He has zero personality as well.  That is why Kirby is owning him in recruiting 

Archived