Relationship between Gus and Rod Bramblett

Linayus

Gus is awkward with the media, but have you ever heard recruits say that he is awkward with them?  Recruits that get one on one time with him seem to really like him and speak highly of him. I've been very critical of him this year but one thing I have to give him credit for, his players seem to like him and play hard for him. 

On a related note, I'm not sure I would be real chummy with a lot of the state media either, especially our beat writers and 247 board guys (Phillip Marshall is the exception). They go out of their way to be cynical and sarcastic at every turn. None of them would try that crap with Saban. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

on a lighter not i would love to see gus on "soul train" showing us some of those dancing moves he has......

11 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Gus is awkward with the media, but have you ever heard recruits say that he is awkward with them?  Recruits that get one on one time with him seem to really like him and speak highly of him. I've been very critical of him this year but one thing I have to give him credit for, his players seem to like him and play hard for him. 

On a related note, I'm not sure I would be real chummy with a lot of the state media either, especially our beat writers and 247 board guys (Phillip Marshall is the exception). They go out of their way to be cynical and sarcastic at every turn. None of them would try that crap with Saban. 

Saban does not give them a reason to.  There is no reason to be cynical or sarcastic toward a coach that has not lost more than 2 games in any season since 2010, and has been a rather permanent fixture in the national championship picture.  Gus has been low-hanging fruit since the 2015 season got underway, and he had many people convinced that he was a lunatic after Clemson 2016.  There is no shortage of positive press for Gus and Auburn when things are going well.  If he could get things going well, and keep them that way, he would reap the benefits of it (like Saban does).

11 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Bill Belichick, Greg Popovich, Nick Saban..guess what they all have in common?

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Bill Belichick, Greg Popovich, Nick Saban..guess what they all have in common?

Not success in coaching the professional sports. 

7 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Not success in coaching the professional sports. 

There are winners. People can bitch all they want about them. Have sly comments, but they are winners and arguably the best to ever do it in their profession. 

19 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

Saban does not give them a reason to.  There is no reason to be cynical or sarcastic toward a coach that has not lost more than 2 games in any season since 2010, and has been a rather permanent fixture in the national championship picture.  Gus has been low-hanging fruit since the 2015 season got underway, and he had many people convinced that he was a lunatic after Clemson 2016.  There is no shortage of positive press for Gus and Auburn when things are going well.  If he could get things going well, and keep them that way, he would reap the benefits of it (like Saban does).

I'm well aware of Sabans record. Nobody can question that. And any criticism Gus gets for the LSU debacle I don't mind. But let me give you an example of stuff we put up with that never happens with the Bama moderators. Marcello just wrote an article about how we score a lot of points against bad teams and not good teams. Fair point, but doesn't that apply to most teams. How many points did Bama score vs FSU  and TAMU relative to how many they scored vs Vandy and Ole Miss? How many points did UGA score vs Notre Dame relative to Vandy? Their writers aren't dwelling on that. Theyre writing articles about how potent the Bama and UGA  offense is. 

Overly sensitive about it, maybe I am. But I'm tired of the little barbs and zingers the Alabama media throws around about AU. I'm sure Gus is too. I hope our next AD does some things to change that trend. 

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

There are winners. People can bitch all they want about them. Have sly comments, but they are winners and arguably the best to ever do it in their profession. 

Pat Dye was a winner too, and he had to put up with the same thing in his day.  Go back and look at the headline on AL.com when we were thinking about potentially considering recruiting Jonathan Taylor. Then look up the headline when Bama actually signed him. Different worlds, and that difference had nothing to do with a win loss record. 

2 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Pat Dye was a winner too, and he had to put up with the same thing in his day.  Go back and look at the headline on AL.com when we were thinking about potentially considering recruiting Jonathan Taylor. Then look up the headline when Bama actually signed him. Different worlds, and that difference had nothing to do with a win loss record. 

Pat Dye was nowhere near close to a winner as those guys. That is just silly.  Those guys are the best of the best in their profession. Multiple championships. No friends of the media, but the media knows not to mess with them, Either. Pat dye doesn't compare. Pat Dye is more comparable to Mark Richt.  He was successful by AU standards.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Pat Dye was nowhere near close to a winner as those guys. That is just silly. 

You're right. The Alabama media bases what they write and report entirely on winning percentages of coaches and never demonstrate bias in any way. Bama gets a lot of holding penalties too. 

12 hours ago, Linayus said:

It would definitely explain some things. I wonder if he has been diagnosed? Lol

I think his mother had him tested.

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

Even I could win games at bammer if I had saben's recruiting machine, their next guy will a lot win too.

6 minutes ago, CullmanTiger said:

Even I could win games at bammer if I had saben's recruiting machine, their next guy will a lot win too.

That’s weird. Why couldn’t the coaches do it before him? That is the Phil Jackson Argument. "Well, anyone could win with Michael Jordan!" 

Why couldn't Doug Collins win with him, then?

I am sure there are people thinking, "Dang, I can win more than 8 games at Auburn with their top ten recruiting classes"  as well.

Just now, DAG said:

That’s weird . Why couldn’t the coaches do it before him ? 

one was to get them through probation, one was about like me in coaching, one was loose with his credit card and the machine wasn't in high gear like it is now because of being on probation for like 20 years. I wish I could remember where I read it, but what I did read before the playoff championship game was saben had 23 5-star recruits to Dabo's  3. It's hard to be a running back at bammer with out gaining a 1000 yards, I don't follow the NFL much but how are their 2 Heisman  guys doing, I'll guess some where around average, I know trent was a complete bust. When you have 4-5 first round draft picks each year it's hard not to be good. saben is not the greastest of all time but his recruiting machine is.

22 minutes ago, CullmanTiger said:

one was to get them through probation, one was about like me in coaching, one was loose with his credit card and the machine wasn't in high gear like it is now because of being on probation for like 20 years. I wish I could remember where I read it, but what I did read before the playoff championship game was saben had 23 5-star recruits to Dabo's  3. It's hard to be a running back at bammer with out gaining a 1000 yards, I don't follow the NFL much but how are their 2 Heisman  guys doing, I'll guess some where around average, I know trent was a complete bust. When you have 4-5 first round draft picks each year it's hard not to be good. saben is not the greastest of all time but his recruiting machine is.

You realize how stupid you sound? Part of being the greatest is the ability to recruit and take thus recruits and win with them. If it was that easy, Texas would be winning the big 12 every year. USC would be winning the Pac 12 every year. Urban Meyer would have more than 1 NC at tOSU.  2012, We won 3 games. We had a team full of blue-chip players and won 3 games. What was our excuse?

NFL has nothing to do with the college football landscape . Johnny football set the world on fire in college and completely sucked in the NFL. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Saban is a winner in college. Not so much in the pros. His Miami players didn’t take to Saban’s style of coaching very well to say the least. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/im-a-grown-ass-man-how-miami-trolled-the-hell-out-o-1723879297/amp

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Saban is a winner in college. Not so much in the pros. His Miami players didn’t take to Saban’s style of coaching very well to say the least. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/im-a-grown-ass-man-how-miami-trolled-the-hell-out-o-1723879297/amp

What does the NFL have to do with anything? There is a lot of very good college coaches who failed at the NFL level. That is neither here nor there. To me, that is such a petty argument. 

30 minutes ago, CullmanTiger said:

But since you believe recruiting makes the man. Answer this one question for me. Why can't CGM, with continuous top ten recruiting classes, consistently get us to 9 wins?  

16 hours ago, Deemer 47 said:

Bottom line, Gus is an idiot and has no clue as to act like a HC at a school that should be a power year in and year out. Doubt Arky would take him. He brings 0 to the table as far as a leader. His presses are always the exact same. Same garbage spewing from his piehole. Just my opinion! Would love to be wrong though!

Wow!!!!! I know I don't make Millions of dollars in my job but I would sure hate to be judged the way coaches are. Gus is even on a bad year one of the top 30 coaches in the country. So when we talk about someone like this you are saying that probably 90% of all coaches in the country are idiots and don't have a clue. You can not like the guy and think we could do better but come on.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm well aware of Sabans record. Nobody can question that. And any criticism Gus gets for the LSU debacle I don't mind. But let me give you an example of stuff we put up with that never happens with the Bama moderators. Marcello just wrote an article about how we score a lot of points against bad teams and not good teams. Fair point, but doesn't that apply to most teams. How many points did Bama score vs FSU  and TAMU relative to how many they scored vs Vandy and Ole Miss? How many points did UGA score vs Notre Dame relative to Vandy? Their writers aren't dwelling on that. Theyre writing articles about how potent the Bama and UGA  offense is. 

Overly sensitive about it, maybe I am. But I'm tired of the little barbs and zingers the Alabama media throws around about AU. I'm sure Gus is too. I hope our next AD does some things to change that trend. 

Why would they?  Both teams are undefeated and ranked in the top 5.

Meanwhile, Auburn has lost two games and basically did nothing offensively through the second half of both.  For the last 3 seasons, Auburn has struggled to put up more than 20 points against decent defenses.  Like I said, Gus has been low-hanging fruit for a while.  Media is only echoing the sentiments of the fanbase.

Conversely, if Auburn were undefeated right now, articles would be talking about how Auburn's body of work is more impressive than both Alabama and Georgia and how Auburn is likely to beat both of them.  Articles and questions asked to Gus would be completely different.  Again, media would be echoing the sentiments of the fanbase.

24 minutes ago, DAG said:

What does the NFL have to do with anything? There is a lot of very good college coaches who failed at the NFL level. That is neither here nor there. To me, that is such a petty argument. 

Well you asked what do Saban, Belichick, and Pop have in common and I said not professional coaching success. It was a joke.

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

But since you believe recruiting makes the man. Answer this one question for me. Why can't CGM, with continuous top ten recruiting classes, consistently get us to 9 wins?  

I believe recruiting make's  saben great to a large extent, and you're assuming I think all coaches have the same ability, check my previous posts, I firmly believe Gus can't coach. The reason you don't want to use the NFL as any kind of comparison is because it's a truer test of ability, everybody is good. At the college level it's easy to look good when your team will have 15 future first round draft picks over the next 3 years. bammer's recruiting machine sent gifts to a highly recruited players AFTER he signed with Auburn, making it look like Auburn was suppling the gifts. Auburn went on probation for this and the player was forced to transfer. That was a while back but the same machine is in place. When saben arrived, they went all in. But I will always stand by my prediction that the next guy will have similar success. 

3 minutes ago, CullmanTiger said:

But I will always stand by my prediction that the next guy will have similar success. 

But this would assume the next guy can recruit like Saban. There is nothing to indicate that will be the case. See exhibit A, Mike Shula.   I don’t like him but boy is he good at what he does.

38 minutes ago, DAG said:

You realize how stupid you sound?

Come on man, no need to attack like that.  You both are making good points.  Also, look for a PM from me regarding Negan and the Walking Dead (your profile thumbnail).

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

But this would assume the next guy can recruit like Saban. There is nothing to indicate that will be the case. See exhibit A, Mike Shula.   I don’t like him but boy is he good at what he does.

You've completely missed my point, saben gets a lot of outside help recruiting, do you think he could recruit 23-5 star payers on his own. But I do think one of the biggest stated qualifications of their next coach will be his ability to "recruit"

Archived