Relationship between Gus and Rod Bramblett

Linayus

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Bill Belichick, Greg Popovich, Nick Saban..guess what they all have in common?

They're richer than me

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, CullmanTiger said:

I believe recruiting make's  saben great to a large extent, and you're assuming I think all coaches have the same ability, check my previous posts, I firmly believe Gus can't coach. The reason you don't want to use the NFL as any kind of comparison is because it's a truer test of ability, everybody is good. At the college level it's easy to look good when your team will have 15 future first round draft picks over the next 3 years. bammer's recruiting machine sent gifts to a highly recruited players AFTER he signed with Auburn, making it look like Auburn was suppling the gifts. Auburn went on probation for this and the player was forced to transfer. That was a while back but the same machine is in place. When saben arrived, they went all in. But I will always stand by my prediction that the next guy will have similar success. 

Really?  JH at Michigan had a way better resume than NS at the NFL. Please, explain to me why the heck, with UM backing, can he not win games against quality opponents?  He legitimately has great recruiting classes, only has to play 1-2 legit teams in his conference. If it is so easy, why can't he crack the code? Already has dropped two to Michigan State in three years and every game to the Ohio State. Two of their main rivalries. 

Lou Holtz? Steve Spurrier? You are going to question their coaching abilities because they failed at the NFL level?  Or does that only work for NS?

Do you think, with NS recruits, CGM would have the same success?

49 minutes ago, DAG said:

Really?  JH at Michigan had a way better resume than NS at the NFL. Please, explain to me why the heck, with UM backing, can he not win games against quality opponents?  He legitimately has great recruiting classes, only has to play 1-2 legit teams in his conference. If it is so easy, why can't he crack the code? Already has dropped two to Michigan State in three years and every game to the Ohio State. Two of their main rivalries. 

Lou Holtz? Steve Spurrier? You are going to question their coaching abilities because they failed at the NFL level?  Or does that only work for NS?

Will UM have 15 first round draft picks over the next three seasons?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Why would you bring that up, I've already said I don't think Gus can coach,  Would Dabo, he's already beaten ua with just 3 5-star guys

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Since when has Lou Holtz been considered a great coach? He got in trouble for cheating at just about every stop in his career. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/811094-the-most-scandalous-figures-in-college-football-history 

Steve Spurrier was not successful in the NFL for the same reasons he had trouble at USCe. He created the culture at UF that worked for him.  But it didn't work well in the NFL and he didn't adjust. As times changed in college ball he didn't always adjust there either and he was too easy going in the area of discipline.....Garcia being a good example.

If you are comparing the talent at Michigan to what's on the roster at bammer you need some remedial football classes. 

2 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Since when has Lou Holtz been considered a great coach? He got in trouble for cheating at just about every stop in his career. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/811094-the-most-scandalous-figures-in-college-football-history 

Steve Spurrier was not successful in the NFL for the same reasons he had trouble at USCe. He created the culture at UF that worked for him.  But it didn't work well in the NFL and he didn't adjust. As times changed in college ball he didn't always adjust there either and he was too easy going in the area of discipline.....Garcia being a good example.

If you are comparing the talent at Michigan to what's on the roster at bammer you need some remedial football classes. 

He clearly stated Jim H. had success at the NFL level step into a job with a prominent backing,along with top recruiting classes yet still isn't dominating. So coaching plays a big part still,not just wether someone was great at the Nfl level its a different beast. You can fill a team with great 5 stars all day,they still have to be coached and developed,something Saban is doing.

4 hours ago, Southwest said:

He clearly stated Jim H. had success at the NFL level step into a job with a prominent backing,along with top recruiting classes yet still isn't dominating. So coaching plays a big part still,not just wether someone was great at the Nfl level its a different beast. You can fill a team with great 5 stars all day,they still have to be coached and developed,something Saban is doing.

And I CLEARLY STATED that Michigan does NOT have bammers talent so what was your point? You don't have one.

3 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

And I CLEARLY STATED that Michigan does NOT have bammers talent so what was your point? You don't have one.

Listen, if you are going to jump in the conversation, at least know the context of the discussion. Nowhere was I comparing Michigan to Alabama. I was comparing one coach's ability to another. The other guy who original statement was  "The reason you don't want to use the NFL as any kind of comparison is because it's a truer test of ability, everybody is good."  referenced Alabama to Michigan's talent level, after having no suitable response to why JH is not living up to standards at Michigan. Keep up, you might learn something.

15 hours ago, CullmanTiger said:

Why would you bring that up, I've already said I don't think Gus can coach,  Would Dabo, he's already beaten ua with just 3 5-star guys

I brought that up to prove a point. It takes more than just recruiting to win freaking games. Whether you have 15 5  stars or 3 5 stars. If it was that damn easy, everyone would be doing it.  Charlie Strong would've won the big 12 championships every year at Texas (OH, I forgot, he needs at least 15 1st round draft picks over the next 3 years to win the big bad BIG 12 conference and to defeat those dang Kansas Jayhawks). You just said it is a reflection of the coach if they can be successful in the NFL. Yet, we have a coach who was fairly successful in the NFL, who can't win with a team field of blue chips.

So, now you are saying that JH HAS to have 15 1st round draft picks over the next 3 years to win the damn big ten? Someone with such great NFL standards needs all of that?! A guy who drafted and utilized Colin Kaepernick to lead his Niners to the Superbowl, cannot find a suitable candidate in the rich traditional culture of UM, to help lead his squad over the likes of Michigan State?! A school who does not have nearly the advantages that Michigan has? What gives?  Oh, and his 2016 squad had 11 NFL draft picks. More than any other college football squad, Yet he couldn't even win his own division, let alone conference. What do you think NS would've done with 11 NFL draftees on one squad?

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/4/29/15482056/michigan-draft-picks-2017

I am going to tell you right now. If JH can't win the big ten with Michigan talent pool compared to the rest, He wouldn't have replicated what Saban did at Bama when he had to go through UM and Florida or the SEC West gauntlet. You know? where several teams  can recruit in the top 15 annually? You bought up Dabo. Thank you, once again for proving my point. Talent only takes you so far. You need coaching to win with that talent. Also, Dabo had arguably the best QB in college football last year, 1st round draft pick and potentially the rookie of the year in the NFL playing for him. You have one of those you can beat anybody. See Cam Newton and the 2010 AU Tigers. But I won't take away from the great coaching of Dabo. It is a testament of his. He recruited AND put him in the best position to be successful at Clemson. I mean he is also defeating the FSU Seminoles who have had three top 5 classes since 2014 and a top 6 class in 2017, yet they are sitting at 2-5. Oh wait, I forgot. Jimbo needs 15 1st rounders over the next three years to beat Boston College. 

At the end of the day, we can all agree to this...our current HC could not win with Bama's talent....think about that.

10 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Ummm since he was inducted into the college football Hall of fame? How the heck did you think he got in there? For his analyst skills? Do you have some conspiracy theory buzzing in that weirdo head of yours? and you say I need remedial football, classes?

1 hour ago, DAG said:

At the end of the day, we can all agree to this...our current HC could not win with Bama's talent....think about that.

I don’t agree with this 

17 hours ago, DAG said:

No I don’t. I think CGM would win, just not have the same success as spanky.  

42 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t agree with this 

I have never considered NS more than a slightly above average game coach.  JMO but lots of coaches could win as big with bama talent...including Gus.

5 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

Reading comprehension clearly isn’t a strong point with you.

On October 27, 2017 at 9:18 AM, DAG said:

What does the NFL have to do with anything? There is a lot of very good college coaches who failed at the NFL level. That is neither here nor there. To me, that is such a petty argument. 

I don't think it is petty at all because it speaks to COACHING.  Not who has the most resources or who has the best players or which school's boosters will sell out to win.  COACHING.

1 hour ago, DunderMifflin said:

I don't think it is petty at all because it speaks to COACHING.  Not who has the most resources or who has the best players or which school's boosters will sell out to win.  COACHING.

It's not a logical point. There are a lot of very good to great college coaches who FAILED at the NFL level. Are you going to dismiss their coaching prowess because of that? JH had great success at the NFL level. Why is he not maintaining this at UM? Should we question JH coaching ability since to some of you guys, it is a walk in the park to be successful when you have all the resources at your disposal? And the guy does have a lot of resources.

4 hours ago, AU64 said:

I have never considered NS more than a slightly above average game coach.  JMO but lots of coaches could win as big with bama talent...including Gus.

Gus is coaching for his life with top ten talent. I am thinking quite a bit of coaches are saying "Jeez, I can win with Auburn's talent." The problem is some of you guys think just because of the talent level, it is easy to stay at the top. Makes me wonder if some of the people in here played any type of competitive sport. You have to be physically and mentally engaged to be the king of the hill, year after year. You will be getting everyone's best shot, game after game. One of the reasons why I was afraid of the LSU game. I knew they were going to give us their best shot because they had absolutely nothing to lose. When adversity hits, it takes your coaching staff to maintain the composure. Gus couldn't handle that. Are you kidding me? You think he could handle that every game with his shrugging off attitude? Being content with leading at half? You have to demand excellence. Part of the reason why NS can recruit the way he can.

5 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I don’t agree with this 

I  guess it depends on what we mean or I mean by winning. I am talking consistent playoffs, SEC championships and NC wins. Technically Gus is "Winning" right now.

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

JH had great success at the NFL level. Why is he not maintaining this at UM?

He also had pretty good success at Stanford. 

32 minutes ago, DAG said:

There are a lot of very good to great college coaches who FAILED at the NFL level

There are others that can transition much easier. It all depends on personality. Saban can use his name and his depth chart in the college ranks to bully kids into playing hard for him or else they are processed. He couldn’t do that in the NFL. Do you think Zach Thomas was going to have any of that? I already showed you the article showing where the Dolphins basically mocked him. 

On the other hand, there are other coaches that can motivate kids and grown men to play hard regardless of which league they’re in. Pete Carrol doesn’t bark all the time. But where ever he goes, his players play hard for him.

28 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus is coaching for his life with top ten talent. I am thinking quite a bit of coaches are saying "Jeez, I can win with Auburn's talent."

With the attrition rate that we have, the talent isn’t filling the depth chart very well. 

Look at the Soph class, the talent that we have already lost out of 21 total signees include: Woody, Kyle Davis, JF3, Landon Rice, Antwuan Jackson, and Jayvaughn. And losing all of them other than JF3 and Jayvaughn really hurt us.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

He also had pretty good success at Stanford. 

There are others that can transition much easier. It all depends on personality. Saban can use his name and his depth chart in the college ranks to bully kids into playing hard for him or else they are processed. He couldn’t do that in the NFL. Do you think Zach Thomas was going to have any of that? I already showed you the article showing where the Dolphins basically mocked him. 

On the other hand, there are other coaches that can motivate kids and grown men to play hard regardless of which league they’re in. Pete Carrol doesn’t bark all the time. But where ever he goes, his players play hard for him.

With the attrition rate that we have, the talent isn’t filling the depth chart very well. 

Pete Carrol is a great coach. I don't have qualms about him. But you are stuck on NS when a MAJORITY of college coaches have failed at the next level. Pete Carrol and JH our the exception, not the norm. So if you are going to critique NS for failing, then at least be consistent and say the same thing about Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, Chip Kelly..some of these guys have won NC at the collegiate level. HOF coaches a couple of them. Failed at the NFL level. And these guys won at prominent colleges..UF, Miami, ND. I guess these guys technically aren't great coaches. The resources make the man.

JH did great at Stanford. But now he is at a program with a wealth of resources, getting paid top money. Why isn't he winning the big games? At least be consistent with your critiquing or better yet say, I just don't like NS.

12 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Look at the Soph class, the talent that we have already lost out of 21 total signees include: Woody, Kyle Davis, JF3, Landon Rice, Antwuan Jackson, and Jayvaughn. And losing all of them other than JF3 and Jayvaughn really hurt us.

Indeed that is a problem....not sure who you can blame for that?   ......guys that lots of schools wanted...who might not have had similar problems elsewhere or where it would have been covered up?

Whatever....attrition is a major issue and all those top recruiting classes are just a shell of themselves right now.

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Pete Carrol is a great coach. I don't have qualms about him. But you are stuck on NS when a MAJORITY of college coaches have failed at the next level. Pete Carrol and JH our the exception, not the norm. So if you are going to critique NS for failing, then at least be consistent and say the same thing about Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, Chip Kelly..some of these guys have won NC at the collegiate level. HOF coaches a couple of them. Failed at the NFL level. And these guys won at prominent colleges..UF, Miami, ND. I guess these guys technically aren't great coaches. The resources make the man.

JH did great at Stanford. But now he is at a program with a wealth of resources, getting paid top money. Why isn't he winning the big games? At least be consistent with your critiquing or better yet say, I just don't like NS.

Pete Carroll is one of the few college coaches to make it in the NFL.....and took him two tries if I recall.   It's a very different game and I don't hold anything against any college coach who does not make the jump successfully.  

Lots of what makes a coach successful in college (such as recruiting) does  not even apply in the NFL.  Up there if you have an unexpected injury or lose a player for some reason you don't have to wait a year or two for a replacement to develop....you just go out and find some guy and bring him in the next week.  

In the NFL, the job essentially boils down to coaching the team....without all the extraneous stuff like academics, recruiting and alumni issues.  Who can blame any NFL coach from not wanting to go back to all of that...even if the money is equivalent.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Pete Carroll is one of the few college coaches to make it in the NFL.....and took him two tries if I recall.   It's a very different game and I don't hold anything against any college coach who does not make the jump successfully.  

Lots of what makes a coach successful in college (such as recruiting) does  not even apply in the NFL.  Up there if you have an unexpected injury or lose a player for some reason you don't have to wait a year or two for a replacement to develop....you just go out and find some guy and bring him in the next week.  

In the NFL, the job essentially boils down to coaching the team....without all the extraneous stuff like academics, recruiting and alumni issues.  Who can blame any NFL coach from not wanting to go back to all of that...even if the money is equivalent.

That is a fair synopsis. Also, If I am seeing this correctly, at USC, didn't Pete Carrol have all the resources at his disposal at USC? Did he not have a ton of NFL draft talent on his squads? Certainly, anyone could win with Reggie Bush in the backfield. 

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is a fair synopsis. Also, If I am seeing this correctly, at USC, didn't Pete Carrol have all the resources at his disposal at USC? Did he not have a ton of NFL draft talent on his squads? Certainly, anyone could win with Reggie Bush in the backfield. 

That he did...and jumped back to the NFL when the NCAA brought the hammer down on USCw..

Archived