Georgia Recruiting

bmartin3228

1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

Eh, with all his negative recruiting tactics I think that he probably pretends to be someone he isn't. 

Great point. Wasn't it said by many that kirby is the best negative recruiter in the game? I think this was said even when he was with bama as the dc. I believe I remember reading he was the one behind all the staged bama flips from guys we had committed. Could be remembering it wrong.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, thaitopher said:

Eh, with all his negative recruiting tactics I think that he probably pretends to be someone he isn't. 

Yes. Exactly.  

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Great point. Wasn't it said by many that kirby is the best negative recruiter in the game? I think this was said even when he was with bama as the dc. I believe I remember reading he was the one behind all the staged bama flips from guys we had committed. Could be remembering it wrong.

Ive read all of this too. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Ive read all of this too. 

that son of a ..............

28 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I mean he was telling his players they beat the dog crap out of them. I mean for a sec coach that is super pg and tame. It just is unfortunate it was picked up. lol really? that is the vibe you get from kirby? Never got that. He just seems slimy to me. Probaly because of the greasy bowl cut he has hahaha

And if Nick Saban, Dabo or any other coach did that to Auburn there would be a 10 page thread about it.

38 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I mean he was telling his players they beat the dog crap out of them. I mean for a sec coach that is super pg and tame. It just is unfortunate it was picked up. lol really? that is the vibe you get from kirby? Never got that. He just seems slimy to me. Probaly because of the greasy bowl cut he has hahaha

Agree to disagree! 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

gus is probaly one of the nicest, respectable and gracious coaches in the business and that has not got us anywhere down the stretch. I guess in living rooms kirby's great personality comes out and gus is well gus. not dynamic enough and kinda aloof. Regardless I HATE IT. it is bad enough we have to play a team as loaded as bama each year. Not we got bama jr to deal with talent wise.

All I can say for Gus is thank God he married Kristi. She's the personality in the family and I believe a lot of what makes our players love Auburn so much. Can't blame Gus. He's cerebral and most guys like him aren't good in public. 

7 hours ago, metafour said:

Kirby to Auburn several years ago made a hell of a lot of sense due to his connections in Georgia.  He is a beast recruiting in that state and that was the case when he was at Alabama as well.  Why would anyone be surprised that he's cleaning up now that he's the HC at the state school in Georgia?

I’m not surprised. I am quite certain that combined with all the “tricks” he learned at his previous gig make him a formidable foe. That and any team with a pulse in the east has a clear path to ATL. 

2 hours ago, jared52 said:

I’m not surprised. I am quite certain that combined with all the “tricks” he learned at his previous gig make him a formidable foe. That and any team with a pulse in the east has a clear path to ATL. 

UGA was the first East team to win the SEC Championship game since 2008. I'd say they have more than a pulse..... lol

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2017 at 6:28 PM, lionheartkc said:

All I can say for Gus is thank God he married Kristi. She's the personality in the family and I believe a lot of what makes our players love Auburn so much. Can't blame Gus. He's cerebral and most guys like him aren't good in public. 

Seriously?  Cerebral?  The man is definitely NOT that.

You insult people with a quarter of a brain with that statement mate.  Just because he has no personality does not make him intelligent, and he is NOT intelligent.  Writing a bloody book on football does not make him a scholar.  

FWIW - UGA just dropped another 3* over the weekend to make room for more 5*’s. Most people on here consider that cold, but this is a business & I wish Auburn had this problem.

16 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

FWIW - UGA just dropped another 3* over the weekend to make room for more 5*’s. Most people on here consider that cold, but this is a business & I wish Auburn had this problem.

Only problem with that business analogy is that if you accept a job offer from a real world business and satisfy any contingencies that might come with it, then no, that business isn't going to withdraw that job offer because a superior candidate comes along. I have no problem believing that it happens from time to time, but it is not common and it is definitely shady and crappy. 

In fact, my experiences in the professional world- in terms of interacting with prospective, current and soon-to-be former employers- have been much less "business like" than what some of these high school kids have to go through.

I just keep thinking, the last time we saw someone eat up the recruiting circuit like this, many of us marveled at it, but were sure everything was on the up-and-up, because the coach had a reputation as a "good guy". We were wrong and they were cheating like Raymond Babbitt counting cards. 

Then I think that Kirby doesn't even have the "good guy" reputation.

So the question becomes, is Kirby really the best recruiter, or leader of recruiters there ever was, or are they building a house of cards? 

16 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I just keep thinking, the last time we saw someone eat up the recruiting circuit like this, many of us marveled at it, but were sure everything was on the up-and-up, because the coach had a reputation as a "good guy". We were wrong and they were cheating like Raymond Babbitt counting cards. 

Then I think that Kirby doesn't even have the "good guy" reputation.

So the question becomes, is Kirby really the best recruiter, or leader of recruiters there ever was, or are they building a house of cards? 

First let me echo your question, because it absolutely bears asking. 

That said, there are some significant differences between smart and freeze. Ole Miss vs uga, Mississippi vs Georgia, up and comer from Arkansas State vs guy who's been learning for years under both the greatest to ever coach the game and the best to ever "play the game"...

Richt might not have recruited quite at the level that smart is at with this class, but it wasn't that far off. 

I just wonder if smart became a made man while in turdtown. 

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

First let me echo your question, because it absolutely bears asking. 

That said, there are some significant differences between smart and freeze. Ole Miss vs uga, Mississippi vs Georgia, up and comer from Arkansas State vs guy who's been learning for years under both the greatest to ever coach the game and the best to ever "play the game"...

Richt might not have recruited quite at the level that smart is at with this class, but it wasn't that far off. 

I just wonder if smart became a made man while in turdtown. 

Yea, I'm with you, but I'd argue that what he's doing is unprecedented, even for Georgia. I can't remember a class that racked up that many 5* players at any school. He has 6 5-stars and 3 4-stars that are knocking on that 5th star door.

I also notice that, since he's left bama, their recruiting has dropped off... Coincidence?

He may not just be a made man... he might be the godfather.  People should definitely keep their eyes on the car dealerships, rim shops, and haberdasheries around Athens.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea, I'm with you, but what he's doing is unprecedented, even for Georgia. I can't remember a class that racked up that many 5* players. I also notice that, since he's left bama, their recruiting has dropped off... Coincidence? He may not just be a made man... he might be the godfather.  People should definitely keep their eyes on the car dealerships, rim shops, and haberdasheries around Athens.

Haberdasheries! I wish I could go unlike something to get a like back for that. Actually, I probably could, but I hope folks will let that little jokey compliment slide...

(Good points all around, sir.)

The state of Georgia has a ton of talent and UGa should never let the state's top players go elsewhere.    Looks like a big season for talent there....4* and 5* players by the gross.....and he's making it tough for outside schools to lure them away ...as he should. 

Meanwhile, HS football in Alabama must be the pits because bama has only TWO kids from in state that have signed and their only 5* is from out of state too.    A major talent imbalance between the two states and that favors the dawgs as one would expect.

Unlike bama, AU does not recruit nationally and when the talent pool in state is weak, we are gonna have to work really hard to get a top ten class. 

18 hours ago, AU64 said:

The state of Georgia has a ton of talent and UGa should never let the state's top players go elsewhere.    Looks like a big season for talent there....4* and 5* players by the gross.....and he's making it tough for outside schools to lure them away ...as he should. 

Meanwhile, HS football in Alabama must be the pits because bama has only TWO kids from in state that have signed and their only 5* is from out of state too.    A major talent imbalance between the two states and that favors the dawgs as one would expect.

Unlike bama, AU does not recruit nationally and when the talent pool in state is weak, we are gonna have to work really hard to get a top ten class. 

Recent updates made two more Georgia players five stars today. Plus they are probably going to get Tyson Campbell and Quay Walker and they are both five stars as well. Their class is desirable.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Recent updates made two more Georgia players five stars today. Plus they are probably going to get Tyson Campbell and Quay Walker and they are both five stars as well. Their class is desirable.

More like fantastic.....but JMO, a good part of their accomplishment relates to what is an outstanding HS class in the state.  They cleaned house in Georgia as they should do...and usually do.    We did fine in the state of Alabama...but the pickings are looking pretty slim in the state this year and good thing we picked up some good kids from Georgia and Florida to supplement the in-state recruits. 

39 minutes ago, AU64 said:

More like fantastic

Desirable and fantastic doesn’t have to be exclusive. lol. Given they are going to finish with 7 plus 5 star recruits, you could say their class is orgasmic. Georgia was loaded but California, Texas, and Florida all still had more players in the top 247. I think Alabama had 7 on the list.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Desirable and fantastic doesn’t have to be exclusive. lol. Given they are going to finish with 7 plus 5 star recruits, you could say their class is orgasmic. Georgia was loaded but California, Texas, and Florida all still had more players in the top 247. I think Alabama had 7 on the list.

Yep.....bad year as I suggested....only 2 kids from the state in the top 100.....one each committed to bama and AU.   When the crop is poor in our home state, it's tough to overcome it by poaching from elsewhere.   Coaches seem to be doing pretty well under the circumstances IMO.

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Coaches seem to be doing pretty well under the circumstances IMO.

We got a lot of talent coming but still have some holes on the line to shore up. Can only be as strong as your weakest link. 

17 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

We got a lot of talent coming but still have some holes on the line to shore up. Can only be as strong as your weakest link. 

Yea... and the new, less flexible recruiting caps favor the teams who are already deep... Unfortunately the best of those teams are our direct rivals.

Seems to be high time to bust out of the AL, GA, FL recruiting triangle and at least become more spread out in the SE and Atlantic coast.     Times have changed and it's time to evolve into a program that convinces more elite players that AU is the way to the NFL.      

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/19/2018 at 8:53 AM, 1auburn1 said:

Seems to be high time to bust out of the AL, GA, FL recruiting triangle and at least become more spread out in the SE and Atlantic coast.     Times have changed and it's time to evolve into a program that convinces more elite players that AU is the way to the NFL.      

I agree with this thinking but first we have to establish ourselves as more of a pipeline to the NFL.

Archived