First charges filed in Mueller investigation (merged)

AUDub

32 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Yep. I shamelessly stole that one form KT.

Think it would be nigh impossible argument. How much clearer could "no contact" be? Given the facts presented by the prosecution, I'm not sure there was any argument that could save his bacon, especially since the judge has warned him about his behavior in the past. And judges don't particularly like it when you pull their lariat.

Oh I just mean, as the statute reads, that's a plausible defense to the charge because it requires knowledge. However, I am not saying Manafort will prevail on it. 

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Pressure to flip I guess

To the extreme. Jail sucks. 

Opinion of another former AUSA. Read this thread. 

He's too late. He should have tried to cut a deal earlier.

Suggests he maybe doesn't have any leverage to trade with, as hard as that is to accept. 

https://www.thedailybeast.com/why-mueller-really-wants-to-put-manafort-in-jail?ref=wrap

......Some have argued that the motion to revoke bond is a hardball tactic by Mueller to force Manafort to come to the table and cooperate in the Russia investigation. If Manafort is jailed, the thinking goes, he will feel more pressure to start talking immediately. But this thinking seems off the mark. It seems more likely that Mueller is prosecuting what he sees to be a serious crime.

For one thing, Manafort is likely facing a lengthy prison sentence anyway for his various financial crimes and false statements. He doesn’t need to be inside a jail to realize that. To date, he has fought the charges. It may be that Manafort believes he is innocent, though from the face of the indictment and the guilty plea by Gates, the evidence of his guilt appears to be strong. The case is based mostly on documents, which are more difficult to refute than cases based on witness testimony. A case becomes even stronger when the defendant demonstrates what is known as “consciousness of guilt” by asking witnesses to lie for him, as Manafort is alleged to have done here.....

If Manafort is guilty I hope he is convicted. But I see no non-political reason why he should be in jail and bail revoked. hopefully an appeal will get this resolved quickly.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

If Manafort is guilty I hope he is convicted. But I see no non-political reason why he should be in jail and bail revoked. hopefully an appeal will get this resolved quickly.

The idea of an appeal succeeding here is extremely remote. 

20 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Tampering with a jury is a non-political reason.

13 hours ago, homersapien said:

Tampering with a jury is a non-political reason.

Pretty much this.  According to documents, he used an encrypted app, while on house arrest, to contact potential witnesses of a case where he will be the defendant.  You simply can't do that.

12 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Pretty much this.  According to documents, he used an encrypted app, while on house arrest, to contact potential witnesses of a case where he will be the defendant.  You simply can't do that.

I agree but is it necessary to lock him up before his trial? There have been worse things done by people who weren't.

Just now, Proud Tiger said:

I agree but is it necessary to lock him up before his trial? There have been worse things done by people who weren't.

Tampering with witnesses is a good way to get on any Judge's s*** list in a hurry.

49 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

You just can't tamper with witnesses.  And if he's locked up, he can't do that.  The judge gave him bail the first time and he still couldn't help himself.  All on Manafort at this point.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

And how do you ensure he stops?  

Geeeez, man. :no:

5 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Yes like crossing a border as a toddler. 

40 minutes ago, alexava said:

Yes like crossing a border as a toddler. 

:blink:

Archived