No Excuse to not beat Texas A&M

doc4aday

41 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Of late we have been fairly successful on the week following a bye.

Fairly with some close wins after a bye in '13/'14/'15 and a complete annihilation of Arky last year 56-3 after the bye.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this Tamu team had its confidence shaken Saturday.  Time to finish off Sumlin and his freshman qb.  41-17 Auburn

I was surprised how TAMU played poorly at home.   I wasn't expecting that blowout.  

And we play well after byes (already stated).  This should be lopsided.

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

Fairly with some close wins after a bye in '13/'14/'15 and a complete annihilation of Arky last year 56-3 after the bye.

If false hope is all I'm offered, I take it,

and I'm thankful for it.

WDE

I have no confidence in Gus to win this game, seriously. Our opponent looks bad the previous week, we have a big game coming up -- this is prime lay an egg territory for Gus (think the UGA games the past few years). I know our players are more than capable of blowing the doors off of TAMU but I don't know if our coaches will put them in a position to do this.

If I was a betting man, after seeing the spread I would be putting money on TAMU to win this game. That being said, I never win bets involving AU so....

One scenario nobody is talking about is we beat Ga and then just barely beat bama then beat Ga again and bama goes to championship as a 1 loss team. With as much pull as bama has that could easily happen. LSU would be our downfall in that scenario.

10 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

One scenario nobody is talking about is we beat Ga and then just barely beat bama then beat Ga again and bama goes to championship as a 1 loss team. With as much pull as bama has that could easily happen. LSU would be our downfall in that scenario.

This is not far fetched and very likely in the scenario you mentioned.  If I am not mistaking, Ohio State went last year over the conference champion Penn State who had 2 loses.

3 hours ago, Tiger said:

I have no confidence in Gus to win this game, seriously.

I am with you. I was so confident going into the LSU game that I thought there was no way we were going to lose. 

There is a ton of pressure on Gus to win this game. We know how he coaches under pressure. 

9 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

This is not far fetched and very likely in the scenario you mentioned.  If I am not mistaking, Ohio State went last year over the conference champion Penn State who had 2 loses.

If the other four conferences produce one loss champions, I can envision a one loss Alabama team that did not win the West watching the playoffs from home.  In that scenario, Alabama will have basically lost to the only good team they played.  One loss champions of the other four conferences will have all proven more than Alabama had, including winning another game that Alabama did not play.

In order to repeat what happened last year, Alabama would need at least one of the other conference champions to have two losses.

33 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

If the other four conferences produce one loss champions, I can envision a one loss Alabama team that did not win the West watching the playoffs from home.  In that scenario, Alabama will have basically lost to the only good team they played.  One loss champions of the other four conferences will have all proven more than Alabama had, including winning another game that Alabama did not play.

In order to repeat what happened last year, Alabama would need at least one of the other conference champions to have two losses.

I don't know that this holds true.  Again, citing OSu last year.  Their loss was to Penn State but they were higher ranked all year so they got in over PSU.  If Bama's only loss is to AU then, even to the explosion of the AU family, Bama still has a chance of getting in.  Now that chance may be slim but they are beating most everyone in decided fashion.  With all the love :puke::puke::puke:that they receive from media, I can see how a 1 loss Bama gets in over a 2 loss SECC AU team.  

Of course, ALL of this is pure theory in that we have 4 very tough games ahead of us in order for this to play out.

Or what about if Auburn wins out, beats UGA twice. Then chaos ensues ahead and 1 loss Alabama gets in the playoff as the 3 seed AND 2 loss Auburn gets in the playoff as the 4 seed. Auburn beats Alabama in the National championship. 

Then we ride off into the sunset as national champs with 2 wins over Georgia and Alabama. Talking about a dream scenario :hellyeah::bananadance::bananadance:

8 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I say if we are up by 9 at the half we are good. 

But if we are up by 24+, all bets are off.  ?  ?   ?   ?

19 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I disagree. If Tennessee, Arky, Florida, and TAM are searching for HC’s as well, it puts us at risk of not getting the coach that we want (I’m guessing Ole Miss stills wants a permanent coach as well or is Luke already the permanent coach?) Either way, we cannot be firing people just to be firing people without doing the necessary due diligence. We have to make sure we have contingencies in order once we pull the trigger. Why? Because I still think Malzahn is building something. He’s got some good offensive recruits committed( Joey Gatewood just called Malzahn “my guy” on Twitter,) and he’s got a great defense backing him right now. The status quo isn’t bad if the offense can get cleaned up. No need to get rid of the status quo if we don’t have any clue how the coaching dominoes will fall. 

Gatewood likes AU and as long as we bring in a good OC then he is in. But I still think JS and MW will be ahead of Joey. I also think you fail to actually look at Gus and his record. He did have a good first year. He had a lot of Talent available when he got here. He also did a good job running the offense in 2013 and 2014 but then his mind exited his body. Since that time I don’t think he even believes in his ability to run the offense anymore. I understand your thoughts about waiting to next year but I’m an truely afraid if we wait another year to can him 2018 will mirror 2012. JMHO

1 hour ago, lkeel75 said:

I don't know that this holds true.  Again, citing OSu last year.  Their loss was to Penn State but they were higher ranked all year so they got in over PSU.  If Bama's only loss is to AU then, even to the explosion of the AU family, Bama still has a chance of getting in.  Now that chance may be slim but they are beating most everyone in decided fashion.  With all the love :puke::puke::puke:that they receive from media, I can see how a 1 loss Bama gets in over a 2 loss SECC AU team.  

Of course, ALL of this is pure theory in that we have 4 very tough games ahead of us in order for this to play out.

Last year happened because two of the five conferences had two loss champions.  It was either send a one loss Ohio State, that only lost to the Big 10 Champion, or send a two loss team.  If Auburn wins out, then the SEC is eliminated (and should be) if the other conference championship games produce one loss champions.  All four such champions would have better resumes than Auburn, Alabama, and Georgia.  In that scenario, it would take one of those other conferences having a two loss champion in order for Alabama to get a nod.  Of course, the picture really gets interesting if there are four (or more) two loss conference champions.

Even with two losses, Auburn does have a compelling argument over Alabama for a slot.  At season's end, Auburn would have wins over two top 5 teams, with one of those top 5 teams having been beaten twice, and won the SEC.  Conversely, Alabama would have basically lost to the only good team they played.  In 2016, that Ohio State team did have several other big wins to hang their hat on, wins that Alabama would not have if they lost to Auburn.

It is indeed pure theory.  It will take Gus putting together complete and aggressive games against good opponents, and I have no faith left in his ability to do that.  He is welcome to prove me (and most of the rest of us) wrong.  I do think the players are up to it though.

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

I was surprised how TAMU played poorly at home.   I wasn't expecting that blowout.  

And we play well after byes (already stated).  This should be lopsided.

Their freshman QB had a really bad game missing on a lot of very easy throws. I expect he will connect this week. It's Auburn. 

20 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

Their freshman QB had a really bad game missing on a lot of very easy throws. I expect he will connect this week. It's Auburn. 

I bet they start Starkle.

10 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

I bet they start Starkle.

Possibly. He did not look bad other than the pick. Still predicting they look better passing regardless.

3 hours ago, Strychnine said:

No committee member would ever say it but I think there very well could be some bama fatigue going on and if they could find a way to leave them out they would. 

31 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

No committee member would ever say it but I think there very well could be some bama fatigue going on and if they could find a way to leave them out they would. 

I am fine with that. 

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I hope so

Is it because he is not as mobile or still not 100%? He seemed to look better passing in the limited action.  He was whipping UCLA before getting injured.  I do think Jeff Holland and co. would rather see Starkle. 

2 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Didn’t Sumlin choose Mond over Stidham? 

Not his best decision if that’s the case.

14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Didn’t Sumlin choose Mond over Stidham? 

Not his best decision if that’s the case.

Not sure it was a choice.  I read they recruited Mond the hardest.  There could be several factors in this, so yeah ultimately I guess it was a choice.  I suspect they considered long term and the DT slant to this. 

8 hours ago, Tiger said:

I have no confidence in Gus to win this game, seriously. Our opponent looks bad the previous week, we have a big game coming up -- this is prime lay an egg territory for Gus (think the UGA games the past few years). I know our players are more than capable of blowing the doors off of TAMU but I don't know if our coaches will put them in a position to do this.

If I was a betting man, after seeing the spread I would be putting money on TAMU to win this game. That being said, I never win bets involving AU so....

This is so true.  I hate being negative, but I can already hear the announcers Saturday express their astonishment at how A&Ms beleaguered Freshman QB has turned it around against this tough Auburn defense. As better as we have looked defensively the last 2 years, we still tend to lay some eggs against Quarterbacks we should not lay eggs against. Hopefully A&M has given up though and we go out there and take care of business, stay healthy, and put our sites on screwing up Georgia's season. 

Archived