2018 Softball Schedule

The 2017 schedule was released in late September last year.  2018 schedule not yet released.  I know Coach Dean was going to get a new opponent to replace James Madison game.  Could be there are some other changes?  Checked some other SEC schools and while some are released others are not, so not out of the ordinary that ours is not yet done.  Of the ones that are published this is what I have found out regarding Auburn.  Florida - we do not play.  LSU - we are their first conference game March 9 - 11 @ LSU.  BAMA we have in Auburn  March 16 - 18.  Tennessee we play at Auburn  April 6 - 8.  TA&M at College Station April 27 - 29.    Georgia and Ole Miss not out at this date.  Those were the only ones I checked.

So. Carolina, Georgia, and Miss. State should rotate off.  We should play Ole Miss and Mizzou on the road.  Along with UT and aTm, Arkansas and Kentucky should be back on the schedule, both at home, I think.  Strong start to the SEC schedule with LSU and bama up first.  Of course, we had LSU and Florida this year as the first two.

I sure hope AU plays somewhere up here kind of close to Nashville, otherwise I'll be driving my daughter to AU for a weekend series.

11 hours ago, tgr4lfe said:

I sure hope AU plays somewhere up here kind of close to Nashville, otherwise I'll be driving my daughter to AU for a weekend series.

I'm hoping the same thing.  Bought tickets for that game in Columbia last year, then it got cancelled due to cold.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2017 at 12:27 PM, tgr4lfe said:

Just checked the UT and MTSU schedules - not playing either up here.  

1 hour ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Just checked the UT and MTSU schedules - not playing either up here.  

well, crap!

A coincidence you posted this.  Just yesterday I looked at the SEC schedules that were currently posted.  We play a total of 8 conference games.  Nine of our potential 12 opponents had posted schedules for 2018.  We were on the schedules of five of those nine.  This should mean that we play the 3 non posted schools, which were Alabama, Ole Miss, and Missouri.  The schools that had us on established schedules were: at LSU March 9-11, at A&M April 27-29.  Games to be played in Auburn: Arkansas April 20-22, Kentucky March 23-25, Tennessee April 6-8.  Three remaining teams with unknown dates/locations: Alabama, Ole Miss, and Missouri.  

Looking at the finish in SEC last year we avoid #1, we were #2 but play #'s 3,4,5,6 and 7.  Whiskey, like yourself, my wife and I had planned to drive up from B'ham to one or both games in Tennessee last year but the weather turned against us.  Hope to go to an away game for a weekend this next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Just found it myself, been checking every day.  Looks like Oxford and Chattanooga are the closest venues to me. Probably impossible to get tickets in Oxford.  Might try Chattanooga.

Dang.......not single game in the eastern time zone even....means Auburn is the closest game this year...5 hours away.

48 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Just found it myself, been checking every day.  Looks like Oxford and Chattanooga are the closest venues to me. Probably impossible to get tickets in Oxford.  Might try Chattanooga.

Just looked at the Ole Miss softball site and admission is free.  I might consider driving up to the Chattanooga games if I am not on a hiking/backpacking trip at that time.  

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Dang.......not single game in the eastern time zone even....means Auburn is the closest game this year...5 hours away.

Chattanooga is in the Eastern Time Zone.  Last two games of the regular season.

42 minutes ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Chattanooga is in the Eastern Time Zone.  Last two games of the regular season.

:)  Got me there...how far in the Eastern zone....100 feet?  

3 hours ago, AU64 said:

:)  Got me there...how far in the Eastern zone....100 feet?  

that line runs around the eastern shore of Nickajack Lake on the Tennessee river, then drops down to the Georgia line.  So Chattanooga abuts the line with its west side.  Like Columbus on the Chattahoochee.

• 1 month later...

First game just 2 weeks away; single game against Marshall on Thursday, Feb. 8.  We play a series of double headers the following 3 days.  Looking at Marshall, they are located in Huntington WV and have enrolment just over 13,000.  Play in Conference USA.  College Sports Madness has them pegged to finish at #35 wedged between Missouri and Mississippi State in their poll.  They have a new coach this year (Jen Steel) after their long time HC left for the job at Indiana.  The record in 2017 was 41 - 12.  Lost primary pitcher to graduation (208 innings pitched with 1.87 ERA).  The  returning pitchers have ERA's of 3.65 and 4.09.  Seem to be good hitting team with 7 players over 250.  Last year they stole 162 bases out of 192 attempts. This philosophy is in the background of the new coach also.  I would expect our superior pitching to keep them off the bases for the most part and for our hitters to take advantage.  Last game we played Marshall was 2015 in one of those Feb. tournaments and we won 5-4.  In that game Lexi Davis pitched 6.1 innings and Rachael Walters faced 2 batters for the save.  For Auburn, Branndi Melero did most of the damage on offense with 2 hits and 4 RBI.  Fagan was the DP and accounted for the other RBI.  Fun to pull up some of those names from recent past teams.  We played in the WCWS that year and finished with a 1 run loss to Florida.

• 2 weeks later...

Schedule changes for the Plainsman Invitational this weekend.  Updates on the Auburn Athletic site.  Auburn now scheduled to play double header Thursday:  Marshall at 3 PM and Wichita State at 5:30 PM.  Another AU double header scheduled for Friday at 2 PM and 4:30 PM..  See site for details related to times and tickets.  Last I looked there appears to be high chances of rain after Thursday through the weekend.

Game 1 still scheduled for this afternoon I take it... will be on TV or streaming somewhere ? 

Archived