Florida, McElwain part ways

WDE_OxPx_2010

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, DAG said:

Their fans seem to be 50/50 about it.

I would be not happy if I were a UF fan if Mullen was the hire.

wde

Just now, AUIH1 said:

I would be not happy if I were a UF fan if Mullen was the hire.

wde

Yep in terms of things, it seems like one of those "Auburn" guy hires that we tend to get. They have had Dan and want a slam dunk hire. The general consensus at the swamp is they believe he will be better than what they had (Which isn't much) but not a slam dunk. 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yep in terms of things, it seems like one of those "Auburn" guy hires that we tend to get. They have had Dan and want a slam dunk hire. The general consensus at the swamp is they believe he will be better than what they had (Which isn't much) but not a slam dunk. 

If I were UF, I would make Frost say no and go from there.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

If I were UF, I would make Frost say no and go from there.

wde

A lot of them are big on Mike Norvell from Memphis

Quote of the week:    Mike Bianchi:

I believe McElwain’s downfall at UF is not so much because he’s a bad coach, but more because he’s a bad employee. He comes from the Nick Saban coaching tree and that’s one of his problems. He has the arrogance of Nick Saban but the résumé of Lou Saban

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

A lot of them are big on Mike Norvell from Memphis

Norvell would be on my list.  Fuente at VT too.

wde

2 minutes ago, Tigercj said:

Would not be surprised to see Chip Kelly or Bob Stoops name thrown out

The UF boards have already done this.

wde

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Quote of the week:    Mike Bianchi:

I believe McElwain’s downfall at UF is not so much because he’s a bad coach, but more because he’s a bad employee. He comes from the Nick Saban coaching tree and that’s one of his problems. He has the arrogance of Nick Saban but the résumé of Lou Saban

Right now, Jimbo,  Smart and Muschamp are the best of that tree.  With Jimbo trending down, Smart trending WAY up and Boom trending up.

wde

4 minutes ago, Tigercj said:

Would not be surprised to see Chip Kelly or Bob Stoops name thrown out

Chip Kelly is literally a name on every fanbase board who may fire their coach. UT, however, is obsessed with the idea of Jon Gruden.

Just now, DAG said:

Chip Kelly is literally a name on every fanbase board who may fire their coach. UT, however, is obsessed with the idea of Jon Gruden.

I would actually love for UT to hire Gruden because I really don't think Gruden is anywhere close to be being a HR hire.

wde

1 minute ago, AUIH1 said:

Right now, Jimbo,  Smart and Muschamp are the best of that tree.  With Jimbo trending down, Smart trending WAY up and Boom trending up.

wde

Mark Dantonio hasn't been too bad himself.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

I would not like UT to hire Brohm because he would also be on my list for AU.  I think Gruden has the potential to be a trainwreck of a hire. Petrino would be a waste at this time as well.  

wde

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Yep....hard to believe they could go so long without a top QB....though seems like recent OC's at UF have not run the offenses that the high schools run down there.  ...and not getting the right guys or best athletes.  

Meanwhile UF had about a dozen guys suspended early in the season and far as I know, most are still not back.    Seems they never had a chance to be very good this year. 

9 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

Suspended for criminal behavior by guys recruited by McElwain.  Would you be in favor of giving McElwain another year?

wde

As I recall, McElwain was a pretty good OC at bama.  He must have forgotten how to run an offense.  This also goes to show how risky it is for a head coach to be a strict disciplinarian if you don't win after suspending your starters. 

4 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

As I recall, McElwain was a pretty good OC at bama.  He must have forgotten how to run an offense.  This also goes to show how risky it is for a head coach to be a strict disciplinarian if you don't win after suspending your starters. 

To date, Kiffin has been the best OC by far at bama.  The new guy has not enough data to enter in the conversation.  Bama is successful because of Saban period.  To Saban's credit, he has always adjusted to trends and made them work in his favor.  

Jimbo, Smart, Dantonio and Muschamp are the best HC's to come from the Saban tree.  Unfortunately, Smart may be the best of the bunch.

wde

9 minutes ago, alexava said:

Petrino is a top 5 coach. But he owes his soul to Louisville. With Jurich getting canned that might change that 

Top 5 coach in the ACC.  Yes.  

wde

5 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

I'd be surprised if Frost isn't their next coach. :dunno: (no inside info here)

I see him going back to Nebraska but you never know...and i have no inside info either. 

2 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

I see him going back to Nebraska but you never know...and i have no inside info either. 

He would be an idiot to choose Nebraska over Florida, if given the option. 

Archived