Florida, McElwain part ways

WDE_OxPx_2010

11 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I agree, and this could happen. But, I see UF going after someone out of the SEC like a Matt Campbell,  PJ Fleck, Jeff Brohm. Mullen would not be a bad choice for UF and who knows with all of the insanity this season seems to be throwing in our direction, he could be in line for that gig. 

Given the lack of experience that the last two head coaches had, I would expect experience to be important to Florida this time around.  Mullen has a nine year resume of generally fielding decent teams at a program where consistently finishing with a winning record is a challenge in itself.  He also has previous experience at Florida.  He is not flashy, and probably not in most fans' top 5, but he has quietly made himself one of the best coaches in Mississippi State's history.

I think Mullen could make a big name for himself at a program where he could recruit good talent.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frost is soon to be everyone’s #1, it will become a bidding war.

Florida, Ole Miss, Tennessee, Ark, and Missouri for sure. With Auburn and aTm in the wait and see position. That’s a possible 7 of 14 in just the SEC.

Now add in Nebraska, Illinois, Oregon State, UCLA (?) just off the top of my head.

There just are not that many hot name HC’s for all the spots, especially in the SEC. So Florida may be sneaky smart right now and jumping out first to start contacting agents for who they want and letting everyone else fight for sloppy 2nd’s.  A lot of schools will be trying to that diamond in the rough.

58 minutes ago, kd4au said:

McElwain getting canned not a big shock, but what is UT waiting on with Jones? That's is what I don't understand, he is the worst coach in the SEC.

Vol fans are furious that one of their division rivals that they lost to has fired their coach before Tennessee has.

Up until the Kentucky loss there was still some speculation about what (crappy) bowl game they might be going to.

22 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Vol fans are furious that one of their division rivals that they lost to has fired their coach before Tennessee has.

Up until the Kentucky loss there was still some speculation about what (crappy) bowl game they might be going to.

Vols fans are hearing that the new AD doesn't want to pay the buyout this year. He's willing to suffer instead of paying the guy.

19 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Frost is soon to be everyone’s #1, it will become a bidding war.

He has an incredible resume' (I did not realize he started his college career at Stanford under Bill Walsh) and has played his hand like a genius.  Just waiting for the Brinks truck to back up to his house.

3 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Vols fans are hearing that the new AD doesn't want to pay the buyout this year. They're willing to suffer instead of paying the guy.

Vol fans hearing a lot of things.  There must be 38 threads with "I've got a source telling me..." as the launching point on VolNation.  I think they're ready to burn down John Currie's house about now.

As mentioned above in this thread there will be a lot of Power 5 jobs opening up this year. Now that UF has broken out of the gate, I would not be supprised to see Ark, UT, and maybe Mizz follow quickly.

12 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I agree, and this could happen. But, I see UF going after someone out of the SEC like a Matt Campbell,  PJ Fleck, Jeff Brohm. Mullen would not be a bad choice for UF and who knows with all of the insanity this season seems to be throwing in our direction, he could be in line for that gig. 

One thing to remember: the current AD at Florida came from MSU earlier this year.

What a crazy scenario. Florida was looking for anyway to get rid of JM and he served it up on a platter by making dumbfounded remarks. Florida was all too happy to tell him to hit the road. 

31 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

What a crazy scenario. Florida was looking for anyway to get rid of JM and he served it up on a platter by making dumbfounded remarks. Florida was all too happy to tell him to hit the road. 

JM wanted out weeks ago and gave up just like his team did on Saturday.

Not every coach is cut out for the SEC pressure cooker.

58 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

One thing to remember: the current AD at Florida came from MSU earlier this year.

Did not realize that. Guess we'll see if Mullen liked working with him or not.

This is the year Fl makes the big push for Mullen. Florida has lost its sparkle as an elite program. If it weren't for the sanctions the Ole Miss job would even be better.

30 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

This is the year Fl makes the big push for Mullen. Florida has lost its sparkle as an elite program. If it weren't for the sanctions the Ole Miss job would even be better.

You had me 'til "Ole Miss...."

UM is the second smallest school in the SEC (Vandy #1).  UM endowment is $1 Billion smaller than UF.  EVERYTHING about Gainesville is better than Oxford, especially facilities and recruiting.

36 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Florida will always be a more attractive program than any in the state of Mississippi.  That applies to both coaches and players.  The expectations are higher, but the resources to meet those expectations are certainly there.

1 hour ago, Strychnine said:

Florida will always be a more attractive program than any in the state of Mississippi.  That applies to both coaches and players.  The expectations are higher, but the resources to meet those expectations are certainly there.

Not to mention the instate talent.  If you are a coach all you have to do is look in-state for most all skill position players.

5 hours ago, Strychnine said:

Given the lack of experience that the last two head coaches had, I would expect experience to be important to Florida this time around.  Mullen has a nine year resume of generally fielding decent teams at a program where consistently finishing with a winning record is a challenge in itself.  He also has previous experience at Florida.  He is not flashy, and probably not in most fans' top 5, but he has quietly made himself one of the best coaches in Mississippi State's history.

I think Mullen could make a big name for himself at a program where he could recruit good talent.

Alleged quote from Strickan at UF.....he had a belly full of Mullen while at MSU.....

Sounds like DM might not be on the short list for UF after all...:-\

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Alleged quote from Strickan at UF.....he had a belly full of Mullen while at MSU.....

Sounds like DM might not be on the short list for UF after all...:-\

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-ad-scott-stricklin-comments-relationship-mississippi-state-coach-dan-mullen

Stricklin:  "I’m going to be really careful because I want to be respectful of their situation. They’ve got a good season going. I will just say I enjoyed working with Dan and I think he would probably say the same. Dan can be direct and I can be direct and sometimes we had direct conversations like you would anybody that you work with closely. He has done a really nice job there and as an alum of that school, I’m proud of the job he has done at my alma mater."

Of course, that does not necessarily mean he is being truthful.  I think Florida would be smart to go after Mullen.  It also would not surprise me if Mullen was not interested either.  He has job security at Mississippi State, is well on his way to becoming the best coach in their history, is already a multi-millionaire, and I think Starkville is the only place his children have ever really known.

25 minutes ago, Strychnine said:

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/florida-ad-scott-stricklin-comments-relationship-mississippi-state-coach-dan-mullen

Stricklin:  "I’m going to be really careful because I want to be respectful of their situation. They’ve got a good season going. I will just say I enjoyed working with Dan and I think he would probably say the same. Dan can be direct and I can be direct and sometimes we had direct conversations like you would anybody that you work with closely. He has done a really nice job there and as an alum of that school, I’m proud of the job he has done at my alma mater."

Of course, that does not necessarily mean he is being truthful.  I think Florida would be smart to go after Mullen.  It also would not surprise me if Mullen was not interested either.  He has job security at Mississippi State, is well on his way to becoming the best coach in their history, is already a multi-millionaire, and I think Starkville is the only place his children have ever really known.

A politically correct answer....DT could probably show Stricklin what "direct" really means.  JMO but sounds like Stricklin is happy that DM is working for his alma mater....and that he isn't :)

5 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Not to mention the instate talent.  If you are a coach all you have to do is look in-state for most all skill position players.

The instate talent in Florida is one of, if not the main reason Urban took the job at Florida instead of Notre Dame.

On 10/29/2017 at 3:39 PM, AU64 said:

Yep....hard to believe they could go so long without a top QB....though seems like recent OC's at UF have not run the offenses that the high schools run down there.  ...and not getting the right guys or best athletes.  

Meanwhile UF had about a dozen guys suspended early in the season and far as I know, most are still not back.    Seems they never had a chance to be very good this year. 

Mullen would change that and quick. 

But it’s Missouri!!! Say that slow. Lol. I’ll never get lines. Heard Danny Sheridan say on Finebaum last week that Auburn would be favored by 3 over Georgia and a 10 pt underdog to Bama. Both of those sound way off to me....

Archived