running game in top 20

aubiefifty

Statistically speaking: Auburn running game back in top 20 after open week

Having an off week may have allowed several of Auburn's players to recover from injuries and it also saw the Tigers' statistical standings.

No. 16 Auburn (6-2, 4-1 SEC) saw its stats improve in the national rankings nearly across the board after its open week, including in every major offensive category.

Auburn's rushing offense moved into the top 20 for the first time since Week 1 and scoring offense is now in the top 25.

Defensively, Auburn ranks in the top 25 against the run, pass, total defense and scoring as well as sacks.

Special teams is an area where Auburn will look to improve in the final four games, Kicking and returns are going well, but punting and return defense are low in the national ranks.

---

RUSHING OFFENSE
2013: 328.3 (1st, 1st)
2014: 255.5 (2nd, 13th)
2015: 196.4 (5th, 35th)
2016: 271.3 (1st, 6th)
After Georgia Southern: 351.0 (2nd, 10th)
After Clemson: 194.5 (7th, 52nd)
After Mercer: 178.3 (8th, 61st)
After Missouri: 199.5 (6th, 44th)
After Mississippi State: 208.4 (5th, 36th)
After Ole Miss: 228.0 (4th, 22nd)
After LSU: 222.4 (4th, 23rd)
After Arkansas: 237.8 (4th, 21st)
2017: 237.8 (4th, 19th)

PASSING OFFENSE
2013: 173.0 (11th, 106th)
2014: 229.5 (7th, 66th)
2015: 173.6 (12th, 110th)
2016: 169.5 (14th, 112th)
After Georgia Southern: 184.0 (7th, 91st)
After Clemson: 131.5 (14th, 117th)
After Mercer: 209.0 (6th, 79th)
After Missouri: 211.5 (5th, 80th)
After Mississippi State: 222.6 (4th, 73rd)
After Ole Miss: 224.7 (4th, 70th)
After LSU: 216.1 (4th, 73rd)
After Arkansas: 224.6 (4th, 68th)
2017: 224.6 (3rd, 68th)

Are these stats correct; am I looking at these right?

When AU fans discuss our multiple years of top 10 recruiting classes, then follow-up  with something like:  Why are we not doing better with these 4-Star recruits?

I’m always the Auburn fan that’s quick to say, yes top 10 recruiting classes but our biggest rivals, normally out-recruit us every year.

With that said, our Red Zone D: 9th in conference, 102 in the country?

Net Punting 14th in conference and 116th in the country?

Kick return defense 14th and 123rd?

Punt return defense 14th and 115th?

If the above stats are correct, this is completely inexcusable and a borderline disgusting waste of talent.

Keep in mind, we have yet to play our toughest competition this season. Somebody please help me out, what am I not understanding?

Not sure about RZ D and how that equates to overall D. I would think you have to also look at how many times teams are getting to the RZ. I would hope that the number of times a team gets to the RZ is dropping.

As for the kick defense, that is what happens when you give up a long punt return for TD and kick off for TD. We can probably be pretty solid on those for the rest of the year but would not improve very much on the stats. But, kick D has been a problem. On both of those returns for TD's players were not in lanes and seemed to be our of position.

2 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Not sure about RZ D and how that equates to overall D. I would think you have to also look at how many times teams are getting to the RZ. I would hope that the number of times a team gets to the RZ is dropping.

As for the kick defense, that is what happens when you give up a long punt return for TD and kick off for TD. We can probably be pretty solid on those for the rest of the year but would not improve very much on the stats. But, kick D has been a problem. On both of those returns for TD's players were not in lanes and seemed to be our of position.

What you said above, plus a team that recruits top 10 classes every year,  can’t find a punter, that can punt the freaking ball 38 or 40 yards?

I wouldn't read much into the RZ D.  Not sure how many of those points are skewed because of younger players getting play at the end of some of those games. I think Coach Steele even made reference that some of the stats score don't reflect reflect how good he thought some of the D played and that it was good that he was getting the younger guys playing time and lots of good film to go over to help them get better.

Also they count FG's as part of the % and carry the same weight as a TD.

2 hours ago, AU-24 said:

What you said above, plus a team that recruits top 10 classes every year,  can’t find a punter, that can punt the freaking ball 38 or 40 yards?

Pretty sure for our punters it's a mental thing. They can boom kicks in warm-ups but the pressure in game seems to get to them. Gus has not been pleased at all so I'm sure he's already looking for another scholarship player at the position.

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

I wouldn't read much into the RZ D.  Not sure how many of those points are skewed because of younger players getting play at the end of some of those games. I think Coach Steele even made reference that some of the stats score don't reflect reflect how good he thought some of the D played and that it was good that he was getting the younger guys playing time and lots of good film to go over to help them get better.

This. Our first string defense has been stellar. Our backups have struggled but they have also been playing (mostly) against first string SEC offenses. Valuable experience at the cost of our stat line. Hopefully that pays off. :)

Archived