a loss could cost job.

aubiefifty

59 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

I look for us to win out, beat UGA for a second time in the SEC title game, make a run for the roses, and give Gus a contract extension thru 2034

If we did this, he could basically name anything he wanted and would get it.

But back to reality - this game is a win or go home (literally) for both men. I think it means much more for Au to win than TAM. The pressure is on Gus. Usually that is when he folds like a tent (see every other game against a good power 5 opponent since 2013). I think this game will be VERY close. I would love to see him prove me wrong. 

4 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

I figured after the LSU loss, if we lose again before UGA, Gus may be gone before Iron Bowl. Realistically I know this theory may be a stretch 

IF he even gets fired it won't be before the end of the season.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I understand that scenario.But If we delay, how is that better?

We keep a lame duck coach, who, if he doesn't beat Ga and Alabama, will enter next year, probably knowing he will NOT survive 2018, because we will have a new AD, who will know his first major decision, will be to wait and fire GM.

And you think that we can't make a good HC hire? I think we can. We are on par with Alabama and GA as far as recruiting, positioning ourselves for SEC and National Championship runs (2010, 2013). GA last won an SEC championship in 2005. Auburn has won 2 in the last. 

So, i see the only school that we are competing with for a very good HC is Fla. We can do that.

I think holding off a year JUST because of so many hires needed in the SEC, and Auburn needing a AD too is not hard to overcome, IMO.

And regarding our other fires  going on within the AD, nothing, nothing compares to what we NEED to do in the football program.

I never said AU can't make a good HC hire.  History tells us it won't be an easy, home run, proven winner, yrs of HC experience, etc. type hire.  And there won't be a HC hire/interviews until Jacobs replacement is in office.

I just think the timing is the absolute worst for hiring a new head football coach. 

We are currently saddled with a lame duck AD, with heavy rumors that he is toast.  What the hell is Leath waiting on?  Force JJ's resignation, send him packing with a golden parachute retirement package in appreciation for time served and get on the ball trying to entice a top notch AD to replace him. 

Finding an AD that wants to take on the current state of affairs that AU Athletics finds themselves in will not be an easy task to say the least.  It's going to take some time........Who wants to take on the job where there are already Title XI issues, the damn Fed's involved and who knows when/if the NCAA has to stick their nose into this septic tank and stir the crap around? 

Does anyone think the Auburn Athletic Director's job is attractive right now?  How 'bout when you add in the heavy AU Booster and AU $$ men, does it become more attractive?  How 'bout when you mix in the heavy dose of former AU BOT members and maybe a former coach, does that make it appealing?

3 minutes ago, keesler said:

We are currently saddled with a lame duck AD, with heavy rumors that he is toast.  What the hell is Leath waiting on? 

This is what I want to know. multiple stories out, misconduct all over the place, and even his closest media member (PM) said he is gone. Pull the trigger already. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This is what I want to know. multiple stories out, misconduct all over the place, and even his closest media member (PM) said he is gone. Pull the trigger already. 

I have a feeling Jacobs wants to go out on his own terms.  There are people behind the scenes holding the reigns on this thing, and maybe they have their hands tied with all of the investigations and turmoil going on in the AD.  I'd have to imagine JJ's been busier than a cat in a litter box with that softball mess + the basketball fiasco.

2 hours ago, milehighfan said:

I just hope Auburn doesn't go out pissing in the wind.

When has Auburn ever done anything but this... the department is/has/and probably always will be run by well-intentioned idiots if the BOT has anything to do with it... I guess there is always a first time for everything (I wish).

I don't care if it takes 6 months, a quality AD has to be hired or business as usual will continue.

32 minutes ago, keesler said:

I never said AU can't make a good HC hire.  History tells us it won't be an easy, home run, proven winner, yrs of HC experience, etc. type hire.  And there won't be a HC hire/interviews until Jacobs replacement is in office.

I just think the timing is the absolute worst for hiring a new head football coach. 

We are currently saddled with a lame duck AD, with heavy rumors that he is toast.  What the hell is Leath waiting on?  Force JJ's resignation, send him packing with a golden parachute retirement package in appreciation for time served and get on the ball trying to entice a top notch AD to replace him. 

Finding an AD that wants to take on the current state of affairs that AU Athletics finds themselves in will not be an easy task to say the least.  It's going to take some time........Who wants to take on the job where there are already Title XI issues, the damn Fed's involved and who knows when/if the NCAA has to stick their nose into this septic tank and stir the crap around? 

Does anyone think the Auburn Athletic Director's job is attractive right now?  How 'bout when you add in the heavy AU Booster and AU $$ men, does it become more attractive?  How 'bout when you mix in the heavy dose of former AU BOT members and maybe a former coach, does that make it appealing?

Sad but dead on.

I think the only hope is to hire someone who wants to be here and is qualified to deal with the magnitude of the mess. Maybe an alumnus. I'm just not sure anyone besides Tim Cook is up to the task.

Last place I would look is anyone associated with Auburn, but, you're right, what quality AD would even consider it?

The AD and the HFC at Iowa State! LOL

1 hour ago, subterranean_jack said:

Sad but dead on.

I think the only hope is to hire someone who wants to be here and is qualified to deal with the magnitude of the mess. Maybe an alumnus. I'm just not sure anyone besides Tim Cook is up to the task.

Last place I would look is anyone associated with Auburn, but, you're right, what quality AD would even consider it?

You're probably right but we won't know until we make an offer to top candidates. Hopefully, it will be made to a top tier candidate and it's an offer he or even she can't refuse.

8 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

The AD thing is a much bigger issue than you're making it out to be here.  Coaches like to know who their boss is and if they have support.  Assuming Jacobs is gone, we have to get a new AD in place first to attract a quality coach.

And yes, there are bigger things in the athletic department right now than the football program.  An FBI investigation is a little more important.  Sexual harassment type claims against former coaches while the AD hid them is a bit more important.  Don't let football fandom cloud reason.

Might be a good thing . If we really want to go after a home run hire like Chip or Stoops then we can offer them a big prize. They can hire their own AD. That way thereis no doubt they have control of their program. ?

My opinion .. if Jacobs is still AD before the regular season ends, he fires Gus regardless as a scapegoat.  Sort of like the way Gus pushed Lashlee out the door. Unless of course Leath vetoes that as well. 

Hire Tuberville as AD asap. He knows Auburn and would come in and stabilize the AD department and then move to hire a great HC. Auburn is a great place and a great job for the right man. There are many very talented coaches out there that could come in and get the job done. Yes, there are many SEC teams looking for a new HC, but I would place us right there with Florida, UT and TAMU as the best jobs of potential schools looking for a new HC. We will pay over 5 million to get the right man and this should not be in question. We have donors who are sick of losing to the mutts and bammer and will dig deep to get the right man.

In SECRant, there was a thread about "predicting the SEC coaching lineup in 2018." Welp, they still see Gus being our head coach, on the hot seat. Ugh.

Archived