Signature Wins?

Beaker

Been a fan since 83 and seen a few games.  

List the coach and which games you think are his signature wins.  Maybe because of great coaching or how the outcome was significant.

Dye:   '84    #16 Auburn going to FSU and beating the Noles at night 42-41...the team just flat out would not quit.  

Dye:  '89      #11 Auburn beating #2 bama in Auburn.   Period.  Done.   That charade of a 'neutral field' is history.  

Bowden:  '93    #14 ranked Auburn over #4 UF  and we had to drive late to do it I think.  

Tuberville:   2004   #8 Auburn at #10 Tenn.   I never ever thought we would lose, but didn't think we would crush them in K-ville.  The Ronny Brown 'truck' over the LB is quite memorable.  

Chiz:      2010    beating S Carolina in the SECG and watching us hang 56 on Spurrier.  Boy he just gave up with that score right before half.

Gus:  2013  Beating MO and the press conference asking MO coach, "how do you stop Auburn?" And he replied, "you're asking the wrong guy, they just hung 60 on us."   Gus was actually coaching to win and deserves the credit on this one for sure.  

* the Kick 6 is likely the biggest win/play in college football history now, so that game gets it's own notation.

Nice trip down memory lane.

3 minutes ago, Beaker said:

List the coach and which games you think are his signature wins.  Maybe because of great coaching or how the outcome was significant.

Dye:   '84    #16 Auburn going to FSU and beating the Noles at night 42-41...the team just flat out would not quit.  

Dye:  '89      #11 Auburn beating #2 bama in Auburn.   Period.  Done.   That charade of a 'neutral field' is history.  

Bowden:  '93    #14 ranked Auburn over #4 UF  and we had to drive late to do it I think.  

Tuberville:   2004   #8 Auburn at #10 Tenn.   I never ever thought we would lose, but didn't think we would crush them in K-ville.  The Ronny Brown 'truck' over the LB is quite memorable.  

Chiz:      2010    beating S Carolina in the SECG and watching us hang 56 on Spurrier.  Boy he just gave up with that score right before half.

Gus:  2013  Beating MO and the press conference asking MO coach, "how to you stop Auburn?" And he replied, "you're asking the wrong guy, they just hung 60 on us."   Gus was actually coaching to win and deserves the credit on this one for sure.  

* the Kick 6 is likely the biggest win/play in college football history now, so that game gets it's own notation.

Nice trip down memory lane.

That’s when AU could run the same three plays and nobody could stop it . Seems 2013 was the start of the undoing of gus. 

Just now, DAG said:

That’s when AU could run the same three plays and nobody could stop it . Seems 2013 was the start of the undoing of gus. 

Different thread....trying to focus on great wins, not the "undoing" of anyone.

"Stay on target Red Leader."

7 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Different thread....trying to focus on great wins, not the "undoing" of anyone.

"Stay on target Red Leader."

Great wins. We only needed 3 plays to be successful . How great was that?! Don’t try to censor me Trump. 

Tuberville: 07 at Florida. We were 20 point underdogs and we went in and beat the defending National Champs at their place. Can't get much better than that. 

Only been a "fan" since 04. Grew up a Volunteer.

I'll say "signature" because these games define the type of coach and teams that they had.

Tubs- 07 in the Swamp. Nobody have us a shot to win that game but it was vintage for Tommy's Auburn

Chizik- 2011 at USCe. Ran Dyer like 40 times and we won a slugfest that we shouldn't have won.

Malzahn- 2013 at aTm. Regardless of what we think of him, Malzahn's teams don't quit. This game might be the best example of that.

4 minutes ago, Tiger96 said:

Tuberville: 07 at Florida. We were 20 point underdogs and we went in and beat the defending National Champs at their place. Can't get much better than that. 

Two straight years of owning very talented Florida teams . 06 game is still my favorite game of all time. Loudest game I have ever been to as well

If you’re looking at 2013, have to throw in A&M in there. That was a great road win and helped jump start the team. 

Id say the 2014 LSU game was another one as well. I remember most being worried about that game, and both sides of the ball played extremely well. This was before our defense collapsed. Great game though.

At the time, the 2014 Arkansas game felt like a huge bright spot coming in the form of JJ. He lit it up in the first half, then Marshall came in and sealed the deal. Defense stepped up in the second half as well. Great catches from Duke, Uzomah and Melvin’s big run after the catch.

With Tuberville, I’d add his wins over Florida in 2001, 2006 and 2007. The 2007 One was especially awesome. Heavy underdogs and Lou Holtz started his Thenator campaign afterwards!

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Two straight years of owning very talented Florida teams . 06 game is still my favorite game of all time. Loudest game I have ever been to as well

Then seeing Urban get salty after the game about the music and noise hahaha

2 minutes ago, FullBloodedTiger91 said:

Then seeing Urban get salty after the game about the music and noise hahaha

Lmao . We were UM nightmare. He was pissed about the Chris Leak fumble too. I don’t think people understand how lights out our defense was in that game.  The talent on that UF squad..and to beat them without a single offensive TD...

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Lmao . We were UM nightmare. He was pissed about the Chris Leak fumble too. I don’t think people understand how lights out our defense was in that game.  The talent on that UF squad..and to beat them without a single offensive TD...

I think the NCAA made a clock change that year which led to a drop in possessions for the whole FBS. Meyer complained about us killing clock lol. That 2006 squad was one of the finest coaching jobs. Squeezed every ounce of production from them. 

Malzahn: '13 against Miss State. Broke like a 10 game SEC losing streak and gave the team some confidence. Lose that game and who knows how the rest of the season plays out. There were so many games that we could've lost that year...

7 hours ago, Beaker said:

Gus:  2013  Beating MO and the press conference asking MO coach, "how do you stop Auburn?" And he replied, "you're asking the wrong guy, they just hung 60 on us."   Gus was actually coaching to win and deserves the credit on this one for sure. 

Back when Gus was so promising.................:cry3:

9 hours ago, Beaker said:

I would replace the 2004 Tennessee game with the LSU game.  That game had two of the most clutch plays I have ever seen.  Then you can throw in the missed PAT, with a penalty that allowed another try.  Auburn wins 10-9.  That game set the stage for that awesome season, and that team was a steamroller after it.

2 hours ago, Strychnine said:

I would replace the 2004 Tennessee game with the LSU game.  That game had two of the most clutch plays I have ever seen.  Then you can throw in the missed PAT, with a penalty that allowed another try.  Auburn wins 10-9.  That game set the stage for that awesome season, and that team was a steamroller after it.

I totally concur.  You're right.

Dye's signature win has to be the 1982 Iron Bowl - it's probably the one he's most remembered for and it set up everything that came after in his career at Auburn. It was the turning point.

Tubs could have multiple wins. 1999 LSU could easily be a signature win because it defined who Tubs was - riverboat gambler, excellent in big games, pulling off upsets, etc. I'd probably pick either 2004 UT or 2005 Iron Bowl. 

Chizik almost has to be the SEC championship game or the BCS championship game, just because of the implications. Honorable mention for 2009 WVU.

Malzahn has to be the Kick Six. No other win comes close. If not that, you could make a case for 2013 UGA, 2014 LSU or 2014 Ole Miss.

14 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Dye: 1986 vs Bammer reverse game 21-17. rebounded from two disappointing bammer losses and set up the run of three straight SEC championships

Not to mention the first of four straight over bama. When Lawyer Tillman scored on the reverse I said to myself, "Now kick a #@$#& 52 yard field goal. I really enjoyed that win. :wareagle:

I remember Tubs having the best winning % against top 10 teams in the nation. I forgot how many but nobody was close. Most of them could be signature wins. The two against Florida and the one against LSU were the most impressive. 

6 minutes ago, auskull said:

I remember Tubs having the best winning % against top 10 teams in the nation. I forgot how many but nobody was close. Most of them could be signature wins. The two against Florida and the one against LSU were the most impressive. 

I would call it a real toss up between 2004 LSU and 2006 Florida, and give the nod to LSU as the real starting point for that 2004 season.  2006 Florida was the blemish on the national champion's record, so it was definitely special.  Both games had an extremely raucous crowd going in Jordan-Hare, and stayed that way from start to finish.  They were all of the loud that Jordan-Hare can normally be in a big game, but those two crowds were turned up to 11.

Archived