Exhibition vs Barry - a preview

JwgreDeux

The show must go on. Despite the news this morning that two key contributors will not be with us, we have to play a game tonight. Fortunately it is only an exhibition against a Division II team. Be that as it may, Barry University is the 12th ranked team in the Div II preseason poll, so they won't be a total cake-walk. They went 23-7 last year, and had a winning record on the road. Their roster boasts a 7 footer and a couple of 6-8 guys. The 7 footer, comes of the bench and played sparingly last season, with their primary post players being of the 6-8 range. In addition to their height most of these guys weight 230+ so they should be a bit bigger than us on the front line (without Wiley).  We will outclass them in terms of athleticism, but Barry could challenge our half court defense with their half court set. I would like to see strong ball pressure to disrupt their sets, as well as our guys work on our half court sets at times.

More than the outcome, I will be interested to see the rotations that CBP uses. We struggled to find a set rotation last season, and I believe it cost us games. The news of the suspensions was not new to CBP, so I'm interested to see not only our starting five, but who is first off the bench. There has been talk of full 5 man substitutions, I doubt we will see that, but would expect a lot of guys to play tonight. My guess at our starting five is, Harper, Brown, Heron, Spencer, and McLemore. Maybe Murray finds his way in there, but I'd expect him to be first off the bench. Personally, I love what limited action we have seen out of Okeke and hope he gets a lot of minutes, and maybe even a start. I'm going with Spencer and Brown based off of their selections as reps for media days meaning something. 

I'm also eager to see if we can get off to a hot start and put this one away early.  We have seen some of these exhibitions be tighter than we'd like in years past. 

Finally get to enjoy some basketball, at least listen to it anyway. 

War Eagle!

1 hour ago, JwgreDeux said:

The show must go on. Despite the news this morning that two key contributors will not be with us, we have to play a game tonight. Fortunately it is only an exhibition against a Division II team. Be that as it may, Barry University is the 12th ranked team in the Div II preseason poll, so they won't be a total cake-walk. They went 23-7 last year, and had a winning record on the road. Their roster boasts a 7 footer and a couple of 6-8 guys. The 7 footer, comes of the bench and played sparingly last season, with their primary post players being of the 6-8 range. In addition to their height most of these guys weight 230+ so they should be a bit bigger than us on the front line (without Wiley).  We will outclass them in terms of athleticism, but Barry could challenge our half court defense with their half court set. I would like to see strong ball pressure to disrupt their sets, as well as our guys work on our half court sets at times.

More than the outcome, I will be interested to see the rotations that CBP uses. We struggled to find a set rotation last season, and I believe it cost us games. The news of the suspensions was not new to CBP, so I'm interested to see not only our starting five, but who is first off the bench. There has been talk of full 5 man substitutions, I doubt we will see that, but would expect a lot of guys to play tonight. My guess at our starting five is, Harper, Brown, Heron, Spencer, and McLemore. Maybe Murray finds his way in there, but I'd expect him to be first off the bench. Personally, I love what limited action we have seen out of Okeke and hope he gets a lot of minutes, and maybe even a start. I'm going with Spencer and Brown based off of their selections as reps for media days meaning something. 

I'm also eager to see if we can get off to a hot start and put this one away early.  We have seen some of these exhibitions be tighter than we'd like in years past. 

Finally get to enjoy some basketball, at least listen to it anyway. 

War Eagle!

Thanks JwgreDeax , I really enjoy these pregame break downs that you give; I am also interested to see what our starting 5 will look like, the good thing is that we used multiple lineups when we played overseas.  

Starting five was Harper, Brown, Heron, Murray and Spencer. 

Archived