Auburn Loses Exhibition

weathergeakal

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure how to process this. Maybe it's a rude wake up call to the team. That's the best I can hope for. Poor defensive play could make this all come crashing down.

Division 1 vs division 2.  Enough said.    Let’s shut down men’s basketball and go with men’s soccer??   It seems that even when we get a decent coach, AU still can’t get it together.  

Did anyone watch the game?  If so, did the players look like they wanted to play, or just sluggish?  Or are we really just not that good without those two?

31 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Division 1 vs division 2.  Enough said.    Let’s shut down men’s basketball and go with men’s soccer??   It seems that even when we get a decent coach, AU still can’t get it together.  

has nothing to do with getting it together. Auburn had it together until one our own screwed us and two players.

Good wakeup call for the team after running through the italian team this winter. Hopefully this shows them they are going to have to play with tremendous effort all game to have any shot at having a decent season. We'll see if they can respond or not

Some Div II teams are pretty good including this one...have good shooters (as AU learned) but usually lack size and depth.  AU's team minus Wiley and Purifoy looks about like a Div II team right now.

It was practice and team just now having to figure out how to play without two of the three best players. 

Gonna be a hard year but way too early to conclude very much.......tho perhaps after the announcement was made yesterday, we all pretty much knew what to expect.

Meanwhile....I'm waiting for BP to announce for walk-on tryouts. 

48 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Barry U is better than all those Italian teams we beat over the summer?

Maybe. I’m guessing we were at full strength against those teams though.

What is it going to take for this team to get it together? He has some talent there, maybe not enough to compete with the big guys yet, but still talent. This should have never happened, if for no other reason than for the players to be proud to be Auburn basketball and to give it all on the court. Obviously, that isn't happening, why would these guys not give it all that they have and play at their level of ability? What is going on inside their heads to allow this D II team to steal one from them at this point in the season?

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Maybe. I’m guessing we were at full strength against those teams though.

No

wiley didn’t play in those games either.  The Italian teams simply were not good and I think they were “off season” and didn’t have their better players.  

In retrospect, the Italy trip allowed for more summer practices but the trip itself was for bonding and to show recruits we will take them to Europe at least once while they are a student (we can do this once every 4 years).

8 minutes ago, Timeslider 6 said:

What is it going to take for this team to get it together? He has some talent there, maybe not enough to compete with the big guys yet, but still talent. This should have never happened, if for no other reason than for the players to be proud to be Auburn basketball and to give it all on the court. Obviously, that isn't happening, why would these guys not give it all that they have and play at their level of ability? What is going on inside their heads to allow this D II team to steal one from them at this point in the season?

Because their #2 coach and 2 of the 3 best players screwed them.  I can’t imagine the locker room is all that great.  If purifoy and Wiley aren’t gonna play again, they need to be shown the door.  

Selfish players can hose up team chemistry particularly when you only have about 10.

Which is unfortunate ... because it goes to the point you were making.  If we tanked against a D2 without one of our best players ... what is the sec going to do to us without 2 of them.

20 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

Which is unfortunate ... because it goes to the point you were making.  If we tanked against a D2 without one of our best players ... what is the sec going to do to us without 2 of them.

We really lost a lot of height. Man we have to play small.

Wow, exhibition or not, this is embarrassing. Maybe it will help these guys focus on their D more. I still would have thought that we would have had enough to roll over these guys though. 

Thoughts from the box score:

Davion Mitchell 4 fouls in 13 minutes. Yikes. 

I like seeing Harper's 7 assists. 

Bryce Brown going 1/6 from 3 is not what we need to see from Bryce from Browntown.

Anfernee 17 and 7 in 23 minutes is super solid. Horace Spencer only 1 foul is good for him but only 4 rebs in 24 minutes.

Chuma and Murray had 15 rebs between the 2 of them, we are going to need them to be aggressive on the glass -- but we also got outrebounded as a team by a d2 school. Buckle up, everybody, because we are going to give up a ton of 2nd chance points this year, and will be limited to essentially 1 shot possessions.

Mustapha's usage is going to be crazy this season, I could see him playing his way into the upcoming NBA draft -- not that he was off that radar or anything, he's obviously a special talent. I am going to enjoy this guys final year here because he is a hell of a player.

Taking away our best big players forces us to play small ball, then they take away the 3 point game. 

Selfish people have basically destroyed our program...And what is bad is that they were AU people. We are our own worst enemy. 

This team went from NCAA probable to not likely the second the FBI came calling. 

Gooooood grief.  Somebody pass the Tums.  I realize the season hasn't started and it's just a stinking exhibition game, but.............REALLY??  Come on guys.  You got outrebounded by WHO??  I'm confident they'll get their act together but this is a ridiculous stumble.  It's funny though - guys like Heron, Harper and McLemore all scored right around 20 points.  They shot fairly well at the foul line (75%).  But shooting 20 3 pointers and only making 3 is pretty awful.  That and getting outrebounded by.....Barry College.  I can't believe I just typed that sentence! Fix this Bruce!

I was at the game. We had good effort. Problems

rebounding bad few second chances

three pointers not much, Barry was on fire

there zone defense we could not figure out

our three point defense was no where to be found

most interesting was the arena is striped of all the retired numbers, men and women  All SEC championship displays are gone  looked creepy  maybe just refurbishing  but sure a strange time to do it??

17 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Pearl is appearing to be more show than substance.

He's brought in talent AU hasn't had in a while. This was going to be the year they had a real shot to make the tournament and the assistant forced on him screwed him over. AU would be lucky to keep Pearl after this all settles.

19 minutes ago, gonefhin said:

I was at the game. We had good effort. Problems

rebounding bad few second chances

three pointers not much, Barry was on fire

there zone defense we could not figure out

our three point defense was no where to be found

most interesting was the arena is striped of all the retired numbers, men and women  All SEC championship displays are gone  looked creepy  maybe just refurbishing  but sure a strange time to do it??

I dont understand our 3point D, just get close to the guy or something, put your hands up, do anything.

Last season they gave too much cushion. Idk frustrating for a fan

Archived