Jacobs stepping down

WDE0007

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

ughhhhhhhhhhhhh means he will still be involved. 

I don't think so. You might be right though.

Lot of people retire this way with the honorary title and have no power, input, or decision.

I hope Auburn is doing this to make it a clean, classy, and respectful break for appearance purposes. If the university burns him on his way out the door it will make getting a quality replacement more difficult.

I'm glad we have decided to make a change.

1 minute ago, Texan4Auburn said:

I don't think so. You might be right though.

Lot of people retire this way with the honorary title and have no power, input, or decision.

I hope Auburn is doing this to make it a clean, classy, and respectful break for appearance purposes. If the university burns him on his way out the door it will make getting a quality replacement more difficult.

I'm glad we have decided to make a change.

That is exactly what it is.. A clean and classy break.  Leath get's it.   It was not easy to make this happen this way.  

2 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

And by the way, I loved Chizik and still do. We did not give him a fair shot, IMO. But, that's water under the bridge.

If you loved him as a father and a good guy, then I agree. He was an abysmal hire as a head football coach and he was given a fair shot by goober JJ the minute Chizik was hired as HC.

wde

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

I hate to break it to you but regardless if JJ were AD or not Gus is safe for now as long as he gets 1 of the last 3 conference games & isn't blown out in the losses.

Sad, but true. I think his future much more depends on what happens tomorrow, than the outcome of the GA, and Bama games. Lose to A&M, and he is done. Maybe not this year, but I think it will define his future at Auburn. No way we lose to A&M, and recover to win either of the other two.

2 hours ago, AUcivE09 said:

How do I link my resume?

Lol since it is a state/government job you just have to keep an eye on the Auburn University job posting site. Believe that they have to publicly post by law. Good Luck!!!

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Jay is absolutely THE LAST guy who deserves love from any Auburm alum and fan right now outside of Eric Ramsey and Chuck Person.......

Probably know things I don't and don't care to know. However, I am ready to move on and hopefully right this ship. I would like to see a seasoned administrator who has been a successful AD  given a shot. Not necessarily anyone connected to Auburn but maybe from a successful power 5 athletic program.

1 hour ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Thank you for answering me in a thoughtful and straightforward way. I have no particular love for Jay Jacobs or hatred for him either. It seems that some people have a personal grudge against him that must involve more than his job performance to be displaying their level of hatred against him as a person.

You're welcome. You've always posted in that manner and because of that you deserve the same. War Eagle!

23 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I'd love to know what Gus Malzahn is thinking right now. It's not just about the Texas A&M game anymore.

It better be :)

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

If you loved him as a father and a good guy, then I agree. He was an abysmal hire as a head football coach and he was given a fair shot by goober JJ the minute Chizik was hired as HC.

wde

He was phenomenal at marketing Auburn football and recruiting too.  I would love to hire him in a recruiting role.

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I hate to break it to you but regardless if JJ were AD or not Gus is safe for now as long as he gets 1 of the last 3 conference games & isn't blown out in the losses.

Yeah I figured as much. I know he will get by by the skin of his teeth. This is why I lost my sanity. 

Must be nice to have the option of adding a possible 6 months to your tenure by resigning.  That gives AU plenty of time to find a new AD.  

So we might get a new football coach... when?  March 2019?  Sweet.  What's another season of losses to LSU, UGA, uat, in the overall scheme of football things, anyway?  

:bananadance:

My greatest fear is that they will hire David Benedict, former COO of Auburn athletic dept, now AD at UConn, who hired Lashlee as a favor to Gus. We need only remember Jacobs' predecessor to realize that it's not always wonderbar to get what we ask for, because then there's the possibility of even worse.

Please, not Benedict. Please not anyone from Arky State or with any connection to Malzahn, Dye, Tuberville or Chizik. We need to change the culture in the athletic department. And please not some "up and comer" dude from some FCS school or some minor league FBS school.

I got no names, just wishes.

39 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

I'd love to know what Gus Malzahn is thinking right now. It's not just about the Texas A&M game anymore.

"Here Chip you're gonna have to take full control of the offense the rest of the season. There's just too much other stuff going on right now. I'm not even gonna wear a headset Saturday" 

51 minutes ago, auskull said:

Probably know things I don't and don't care to know. However, I am ready to move on and hopefully right this ship. I would like to see a seasoned administrator who has been a successful AD  given a shot. Not necessarily anyone connected to Auburn but maybe from a successful power 5 athletic program.

Well-stated, neighbor!  :-)

2 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

"Here Chip you're gonna have to take full control of the offense the rest of the season. There's just too much other stuff going on right now. I'm not even gonna wear a headset Saturday" 

More likely:

"These are troubled times, Chip, and we need a steady hand at the wheel. Watch and learn."

12 minutes ago, AUJedi said:

or his buyout...

This is unrelated yet related in some ways. Has anyone heard a rumor to the effect that Bruce Pearl is about to get the axe? I heard that rumor a little while ago and can neither confirm nor deny it.

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I cant believe I’m responding, BUT I imagine he is thrilled to some extent since they apparently weren’t on speaking terms. 

I don't doubt Jay's love for Auburn and I think he started out with the best of intentions but something got off the track along the way.  I wish him the best but it was past time for a change.  

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

I'd be a bit more gracious feeling if I didn't know about all the wrangling and dragging of heels by Jay and his representatives that made this go one far longer than it should have. 

care to share the wrangling and dragging of heels by Jay and his representatives with us Titan?

Archived