JJ Replacement

weathergeakal

Who gives a flying fart whether they "know Auburn" or not? I don't care if they have even heard of Auburn, so long as they know winning and how to run an enterprise. Networking will take care of itself if they're good at their job. And it won't take them long at all once they get here to "know Auburn."

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, subterranean_jack said:

Exactly fits the definition of 'Homer'. We don't need any more 'Homers'. We need a  proven, qualified, and experienced AD to clean house.

I still believe you can have those qualities and be extremely competent and not a 'Homer' but that's just my humble opinion 

52 minutes ago, corchjay said:

She would be a home run in my opinion.  Totally new and different perspective in the position.

If MMD weren't connected to Tim Jackson and Kay Hargrave and had they not been lobbying for her to get the job, I'd be all for her hire. I'm afraid that she's too close to some in the current regime to feel like we'd be getting a fresh start from an outsider. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

Not Scott Etheridge please. I think we've had enough of former Pat Dye players running the Athletic Department.

You are so right Carl.  No good ol' Dye boys 

My thought is that we need to hire folks that are truely qualified. I don’t care what ties they have to AU. The athletic department has a multi-million dollar budget. It’s not all about hiring coaches. It’s about having a game plan to move all Auburn sports programs forward. It’s marketing and fundraising. It’s having a vision of improving facilities. It’s about making sure we are doing our best for the student athletes . It’s about improving the image and reputation of our great university. Don’t get hung up on trying to find someone with experience in coaching football to run the athletics as a whole. They won’t be successful in the long run. We need a CEO type with a proven track record. Not just in athletics but in business as well. If they are truely good the will put together a team to find a coach that can win. They will understand with the money that football brings in they can afford the best coaches in the business. They will understand that a great hire will more than pay for itself in increased revenue. 

35 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

They will understand that a great hire will more than pay for itself in increased revenue. 

I guess this is the problem everywhere. From what I've observed, most ADs pretty much luck into their "great hires" and often go through a handful of bad or mediocre hires along the way. .

Hope we get someone good but I'm pretty sure that within a year after the new person takes over, there will be folks on this forum who will have already decided the person is incompetent and must go.

JMO but getting rid of JJ (and Gus too) will do little to calm things for  long.  The AU fan base....or at least the vocal part of it does not stay happy with anything for very long. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I guess this is the problem everywhere. From what I've observed, most ADs pretty much luck into their "great hires" and often go through a handful of bad or mediocre hires along the way. .

Hope we get someone good but I'm pretty sure that within a year after the new person takes over, there will be folks on this forum who will have already decided the person is incompetent and must go.

JMO but getting rid of JJ (and Gus too) will do little to calm things for  long.  The AU fan base....or at least the vocal part of it does not stay happy with anything for very long. 

I agree that’s why I say we need to be more like shareholders. We should want our university to grow and flourish. We need people based on their skills and not on their personalities. I don’t want the AD to be my buddy or slap me in the back. I want them to be always working to make and keep AU great.

2 minutes ago, weathergeakal said:

My favorite out of all of these is the UCF AD, Danny White. Wonder what relationship he and Scott Frost have. 

2 hours ago, TigerNBham said:

You are so right Carl.  No good ol' Dye boys 

This is the kicker that Dye said was feminine looking to reporters. If I was Scott Etheridge my next practice kick would have bounced off the tower Dye stood on at practice. 

The M/A list has some interesting names that I havn't heard mentioned. Some good info there.

8 minutes ago, CameronCrazy said:

Joe Castiglione - OU

Michelle McKenna-Doyle - NFL

Chris Del Conte - TCU

Any one of these 3 would be a homeun hire!  Maybe even a grand slam

I think MMD would be a great hire. When you look at her complete resume ( not just her present position)it is impressive. It has nothing to do with her being an alumni . Just her business skills. We just have to get out of this jock mentality of thinking the AD has to have played Or coached football.

6 hours ago, DAG said:

Less auburn men, more qualified leaders.

"“If they don't think an Auburn man can do the job , they ought to close the joint down,” - Ralph Shug Jordan. 

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

No more all in the family.

Your sig quote: National Champions! War Eagle!!! ALL IN, STILL IN, FOREVER IN

Time to change it 4ever. 

MMD is my number one choice. Business savvy, has connections and rapport with both the university and NFL, and experience in implementing innovative technology. If we do end up hiring a new coach, she can use her pull within the NFL to possibly reel in someone from that world.

17 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

"“If they don't think an Auburn man can do the job , they ought to close the joint down,” - Ralph Shug Jordan. 

No disrespect to the great Shug Jordan, but just cause he said that, doesn't make it true. I like MMD for what she brings to the table; her being an alumni is icing on the cake. With the Shug's logic, I guess we should hire Chizik to run the athletic department. 

My opinion on M M-D...

M M-D is way too close to certain current occupants of the swamp. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, for her to drain it the way it needs to be drained.

I am sure they are part of the big push to hire her. They may even be on the various message boards fanning the flames. Hopefully enough people who understand this are involved and will be able to influence the decision.

We do not need a situation where people like TJ, for example, are running the show from behind the curtain due to their relationship with the incoming AD.

We need somebody who has experience as a P5 AD. Preferably someone who has been an administrator on some level at 2-3 (or more) different schools.  Someone who is NOT close with current occupants of the swamp. Someone with a proven record of identifying and being able to attract (and close the deal with) successful coaches. 

M M-D does not meet any of those key criteria.

It is possible to be an impressive person with a strong resume and AU connections and not be the right person for this time at AU.

11 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

My opinion on M M-D...

M M-D is way too close to certain current occupants of the swamp. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, for her to drain it the way it needs to be drained.

I am sure they are part of the big push to hire her. They may even be on the various message boards fanning the flames. Hopefully enough people who understand this are involved and will be able to influence the decision.

We do not need a situation where people like TJ, for example, are running the show from behind the curtain due to their relationship with the incoming AD.

We need somebody who has experience as a P5 AD. Preferably someone who has been an administrator on some level at 2-3 (or more) different schools.  Someone who is NOT close with current occupants of the swamp. Someone with a proven record of identifying and being able to attract (and close the deal with) successful coaches. 

M M-D does not meet any of those key criteria.

It is possible to be an impressive person with a strong resume and AU connections and not be the right person for this time at AU.

You make some solid points DM

Archived