JJ Replacement

weathergeakal

5 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

"“If they don't think an Auburn man can do the job , they ought to close the joint down,” - Ralph Shug Jordan. 

Close it down then if anyone is foolish enough to limit their candidate selection based on that 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, AU64 said:

I guess this is the problem everywhere. From what I've observed, most ADs pretty much luck into their "great hires" and often go through a handful of bad or mediocre hires along the way. .

Hope we get someone good but I'm pretty sure that within a year after the new person takes over, there will be folks on this forum who will have already decided the person is incompetent and must go.

JMO but getting rid of JJ (and Gus too) will do little to calm things for  long.  The AU fan base....or at least the vocal part of it does not stay happy with anything for very long. 

That is part of life . That is not only secluded to the AUBURN fan base. The bottom line is , if you are doing what you are hired to do , the people that matter won’t see fit to fire.

8 hours ago, weathergeakal said:

It is a pipe dream, but Radakovich would be my clear favorite in that group or any other group.  We had a chance to get him back when Jaybotron was hired.

wde

5 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

My opinion on M M-D...

M M-D is way too close to certain current occupants of the swamp. It would be very difficult, if not impossible, for her to drain it the way it needs to be drained.

I am sure they are part of the big push to hire her. They may even be on the various message boards fanning the flames. Hopefully enough people who understand this are involved and will be able to influence the decision.

We do not need a situation where people like TJ, for example, are running the show from behind the curtain due to their relationship with the incoming AD.

We need somebody who has experience as a P5 AD. Preferably someone who has been an administrator on some level at 2-3 (or more) different schools.  Someone who is NOT close with current occupants of the swamp. Someone with a proven record of identifying and being able to attract (and close the deal with) successful coaches. 

M M-D does not meet any of those key criteria.

It is possible to be an impressive person with a strong resume and AU connections and not be the right person for this time at AU.

Spot on! If anybody wants the GOBN to continue, then let MMD be hired. She'll probably also make TJ her assistant AD.

Seems there us a lot of chatter for an outsider....but from my observations outsiders can meet resistance everywhere and have difficulty getting anything done....Texas being one that quickly comes to mind.

Just thinking that an outsider comes with big risks unless there is widespread support for the hire.

My problem is we too often take this approach at AU...

"we need a national search to find the very best person for this critical position.......among the people I currently know, am comfortable with, and can control. "

45 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Seems there us a lot of chatter for an outsider....but from my observations outsiders can meet resistance everywhere and have difficulty getting anything done....Texas being one that quickly comes to mind.

Just thinking that an outsider comes with big risks unless there is widespread support for the hire.

There is a reason for that . They aren’t in anybodies BBQ gang . And that is the best part 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

There is a reason for that . They aren’t in anybodies BBQ gang . And that is the best part 

Not really.....lots of people support AUburn and value it's traditions and anyone who ignores that fact and does not appreciate how others feel about the school is not the person for the job.    I'm pretty sure that anyone who comes in and thinks they can run the Athletic Department without the support of the PTBs and the many people working there is doomed.    Fortunately,  I expect most of the candidates have a better understanding of that fact than a few vocal people on this sight talking about "draining the swamp". .....this isn't DC. 

People support AU because they want to..... not because some law makes it necessary for us to send a substantial portion of our paycheck to it every week.  I'm not looking for anyone to come in and run roughshod over the hundreds of people who love AU and work hard for it's success.    It's time to restore that feeling of "family" that most of us talk about and find attractive about being an Auburn alum. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Not really.....lots of people support AUburn and value it's traditions and anyone who ignores that fact and does not appreciate how others feel about the school is not the person for the job.    I'm pretty sure that anyone who comes in and thinks they can run the Athletic Department without the support of the PTBs and the many people working there is doomed.    Fortunately,  I expect most of the candidates have a better understanding of that fact than a few vocal people on this sight talking about "draining the swamp". .....this isn't DC. 

People support AU because they want to..... not because some law makes it necessary for us to send a substantial portion of our paycheck to it every week.  I'm not looking for anyone to come in and run roughshod over the hundreds of people who love AU and work hard for it's success.    It's time to restore that feeling of "family" that most of us talk about and find attractive about being an Auburn alum. 

Speaking from someone who was a director of nursing of a metropolitan hospital in Milwaukee, you have zero idea what you are talking about . Some resistance is a good thing because it allows two entities to feel each other out and set boundaries which need to be established in any position of management. A good manager is able to adapt to resistance and get their employees to follow through on their philosophy . What you want is comfortability which is okay to an extent but in a business model, comfortabilty can set you back and bring about non-chalantness without accountability .

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

Speaking from someone who was a director of nursing of a metropolitan hospital in Milwaukee, you have zero idea what you are talking about

You  have no idea what my background is...but I've got as good an idea about what it takes to run a successful business as you do.    I'm betting you did not let the nurses decide which procedures to follow and which to ignore?    Sure you need for people to have freedom to disagree.....but in the end, it's about teamwork and everyone going in the same direction.   If a coach is trying to run a program and some of the various players have their own ideas about how to do it, the result is predictable.   A team with members working for their own interest rather than the good of the team is going nowhere. 

Just now, AU64 said:

You  have no idea what my background is...but I've got as good an idea about what it takes to run a successful business as you do.    I'm betting you did not let the nurses decide which procedures to follow and which to ignore?    Sure you need for people to have freedom to disagree.....but in the end, it's about teamwork and everyone going in the same direction.   If a coach is trying to run a program and some of the various players have their own ideas about how to do it, the result is predictable.   A team with members working for their own interest rather than the good of the team is going nowhere. 

No but I welcomed resistance . Some resistance is important because it allows for constructive input . If you are looking for no resistance then you are either a lassiez faire manager or a dictator . Btw resistance does not mean insurbodinate. Resistance also known as push back is needed in any successful matrix. Why? Because it keeps everyone grounded . What you want is someone who can ease into here . The problem is that might not be what Auburn needs. Sorry, but we might need someone who has to lay down some law which will cause push back. Having zero resistance is the produce that has caused uneasiness within the athletic department and led us to this point. It also seems to be rampant within the coaching realm of this football team and it has shown the last couple of years. Don’t want to hear about an Auburn man. The last auburn man just got kicked to he curb.

How about instead of an auburn man . We gat a man or woman who is going to do what’s good for Auburn ? How about that ?

Gene Chizik was a great dude. A family guy and got his ass fired . Get rid of these sacred cows.

47 minutes ago, DAG said:

yNo but I welcomed resistance . Some resistance is important because it allows for constructive input . If you are looking for no resistance then you are either a lassiez faire manager or a dictator . Btw resistance does not mean insurbodinate. Resistance also known as push back is needed in any successful matrix. Why? Because it keeps everyone grounded . What you want is someone who can ease into here . The problem is that might not be what Auburn needs. Sorry, but we might need someone who has to lay down some law which will cause push back. Having zero resistance is the produce that has caused uneasiness within the athletic department and led us to this point. It also seems to be rampant within the coaching realm of this football team and it has shown the last couple of years. Don’t want to hear about an Auburn man. The last auburn man just got kicked to he curb.

Seems that folks on here have mixed views....at least some are wanting a person with full authority who does not have to listen to the PTBs or anyone.....a virtual dictator.   I don't think there is an way that JJ could have been considered a dictator and if anything, as the pressure on him increased it looked like he was trying to please everyone ....and pleasing no one. 

As for Chiz....he was barely an AU guy....was the DC for a couple years and that was about it.   JJ is about the only recent top person in the Auburn Athletics who was an actual AU guy....Dye went to Georgia and Tubs and Gus went to some small schools in Arkansas. Can't recall that we've had a true AU person in at a high level in Athletics since Shug left....well, David Housel of course.

AU has been very open to bringing in people from outside the school.   Likely that will occur again.

Well...it's game time....WDE

Does Mark Emmert have a son or daughter?  Another man-crush?  Hire one of them and end all worries about the NCAA!  The softball and basketball stories will just fade away..........;D

On 11/4/2017 at 11:03 AM, AU64 said:

Seems that folks on here have mixed views....at least some are wanting a person with full authority who does not have to listen to the PTBs or anyone.....a virtual dictator. 

I think most people want the PTB to do their job- act like a board of directors. You let the CEO make their mark, if it works great, if not you fire them. Same thing with an AD. You let them set the tone, give them some freedom- you are paying them to  do that after-all. Otherwise why not have a monthly conference call with the PTB and pay a cell phone bill. An AD will never have dull authority- bc you can always fire them. So make a smart hire and bc you made a smart hire, with a smart person who has experience running a company or similar, you LET THEM DO THEIR JOB.  

On a more inquisitive note- whats your background 64? You a millionaire in the lumber industry. 

It's a little more complicated than just being about to say the AD doesn't have to answer to the PTB. Schools are basically held ransom by the big donors, and the big donors feel like their donation gets them a say in matters. Each one may have a guy they want while the other doesn't want them. It becomes an ego thing to be the one who can say it is their guy. I don't think they meddle with the game plan, but they can undermine the HC in other ways.

The PTB have to decide to put Auburn ahead of their ego and let the President find his AD and his AD get his desired coach without trying to undermine them. Doesn't mean that they can't offer some type of constructive resistance. 

The HC then needs to have full control of his program with the full support of his superiors. 

On 11/4/2017 at 8:30 AM, AU64 said:

This is what scares me as well.  Just happened at Nebraska too.

37 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

I think most people want the PTB to do their job- act like a board of directors. You let the CEO make their mark, if it works great, if not you fire them. Same thing with an AD. You let them set the tone, give them some freedom- you are paying them to  do that after-all. Otherwise why not have a monthly conference call with the PTB and pay a cell phone bill. An AD will never have dull authority- bc you can always fire them. So make a smart hire and bc you made a smart hire, with a smart person who has experience running a company or similar, you LET THEM DO THEIR JOB.  

On a more inquisitive note- whats your background 64? You a millionaire in the lumber industry. 

Ha ha....don't I wish.....just an old retired guy who probably has too much time on his hands...but who wants the best for Auburn University.  A couple degrees from AU and a life in corporate management. 

And a good commentary on what I would like to see happen at AU too.   But of course the PTBs are not all of one mind so it's probably just a dream to expect that one or another of them might not try to exercise a little (or a lot) of influence behind the scenes.   As for the BOT, I'm not even sure who is the power other than Ranes..  As for the rest, if you look at their backgrounds, they are good solid AU grads and I expect they are not near as manipulative or micro-managing as many people on this site seem to believe.  JMO.  

On 11/3/2017 at 5:28 PM, WeagleAU said:

Don’t be surprised if JJ’s replacement looks a lot like him.  For real change, It’s who is behind the curtain that matters, not who they pick to stand in front of it.

I would be very surprised if this happens. From what I hear and have seen I think Leath is very comfortable in making his own calls. I don’t think he has any fears of the good ole boy gang that folks feel control things. I think that the episode that nearly cost us our accreditation a few years ago silenced a lot of the power ( real or perceived) that existed before then. I think that is why JJ agreed to drop the fanfare.

an additional note for what it’s worth. The PTB did not have a hand in JJ running wild the last few years and allowing Gus to spit in his face. The cause of that was a president that showed up at AU a few years ago for the sole purpose of retiring.he didn’t care if anything got done or not as long as no one bothered him. The new President doesn’t seem to work in that mode, thank goodness.

On 11/3/2017 at 6:02 PM, doc4aday said:

what about Cole Cubelic? He seems to have it together from listening and watching him on the SEC Channel. He knows Auburn football and likely other sports well. He is young and has charisma. I could be way off on this one, but he seems to be worth it.

This is not directed at you but at a lot of folks recommending folks like this or Tubby. Please show me where these folks have any kind of experience in running a multi-million dollar business such as AU sports. Who has the corporate legal background to deal with NCAA lawyers, cover AUs intrest and concerns with multi-million dollar contracts from retailers and contractors. Broker media and licensing agreements. Handle contracts as far as hiring coaches and other employees and ensuring AU is not over doing buyout as we have seen in the past few years. We don’t need jocks handling this ( and I was/am so I can use the phrase). That’s what gets us into this crap to start with.

Just now, Eagle Eye 7 said:

This is not directed at you but at a lot of folks recommending folks like this or Tubby. Please show me where these folks have any kind of experience in running a multi-million dollar business such as AU sports. Who has the corporate legal background to deal with NCAA lawyers, cover AUs intrest and concerns with multi-million dollar contracts from retailers and contractors. Broker media and licensing agreements. Handle contracts as far as hiring coaches and other employees and ensuring AU is not over doing buyout as we have seen in the past few years. We don’t need jocks handling this ( and I was/am so I can use the phrase). That’s what gets us into this crap to start with.

I understand your point and agree with you for the most. Do you have anyone in mind for this?  I do like Clemson's AD and think he would do a good job. I honestly do not know of anyone out there though besides this person. I would like to see how many SEC ADs have coaching backgrounds. Just curious.

23 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I understand your point and agree with you for the most. Do you have anyone in mind for this?  I do like Clemson's AD and think he would do a good job. I honestly do not know of anyone out there though besides this person. I would like to see how many SEC ADs have coaching backgrounds. Just curious.

When you look at present ADs most folks are judging by how many games their football team is winning right now or maybe the top three sports . We shouldn’t hire ADs to win ball games. We need to hire ADs for the following reasons.

their vision for the future of Auburn not just hiring good and reputable coaches that can not only win but also keep the program out of trouble ( real and perceived) Also that they are an advocate for improving facilities ( not with some fandangle gigantic scoreboard ) but with upgrades that make it impressive and beautiful so when outsiders come they are inspired by our facilities. They also need to look for improvement for our student athletes as far as living quarters, courses offered, assistance to make them not only successful at sports but in life also.

they also need to be intelligent to ensure we are diligent that when AU goes on a product that it reflects positively on the university and that it is a good financial deal for AU.

needs to make sure we operate under the rules and never allow the name of the university to be disgraced from bad media reports of things that actually happen and to be aggressive against folks that spread misinformation against the university.

as long as they meet that criteria I’ll back anyone that Dr. Leath chooses.

Archived