Praise for Coach Malzahn

AUJedi

9 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

they clearly were coming after the punt. how could you or anyone know factually what he was thinking? it was just a good call to use the timeouts either for the block or a chance to get the offense on the field. regardless it was good call he should get credit for

It was a common sense call that most teams do every time they are in that position.  Ruffin said he talked Gus into making the call on the block because he saw a weakness the time before.  Good God, did you give him credit for color coordinating his clothing and being on time too.  Chizik for example did this every flipping time at the end of the half if Gus had not blown the timeouts already.  

If you have that low of standards for our head coach, that is your choice, but I think the majority of us have much higher.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing:

If I, or anyone on this board who follows football merely as a hobby, knows that with multiple timeouts left and X left on the clock you can squeeze out another chance to score again it's considered common sense. Gus far too often fails to take advantage of every opportunity he has to score. So I am happy that he did not do the dumb thing by just wasting away an opportunity and used these timeouts but I am not ready to say "GREAT CALL, COACH!" either because it seems like any competent coach with that type of talent on offense would have tried to get one more possession out of it. Also, I'm not sold that if we didn't block the punt we would've tried to drive down the field. We've taken timeouts just to knee the ball before.

So I guess we are now trending up towards competent when it comes to managing-the-game HC decisions but lets see how long it lasts. I must say I was happy with how we didn't look terrible for the entire game like we did in the 1st quarter. That may be the first time in since 2014 that we started off poor and didn't continue to look bad. So he deserves praise for that. I was sure we were going to look like the Clemson O or LSU 2nd half O after that 1st quarter wrapped up.

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, hutchids said:

He made adjustments in the second quarter instead of waiting till half time. I'll give him a thumbs up for that.

Not quick to give Gus credit at all, but you are right on this one and also he called the time out right before half time and we got the blocked punt.

Also, not to be a hypocrite; got to give him at least partial credit for out-strategizing Saben on the kick 6 in 2013.

Other than these few accomplishments, he has not garnered any more praise.  If he figures out how to beat UGA this week, I will give him some props.

On 11/4/2017 at 4:10 PM, around4ever said:

He said all week that all of the RBs would get playing time today.  ?  ?  Martin had 5 carries and Kerryon got the rest even in the game with less than 2 minutes left in the game.  Gus gets no credit until he and his coaches learn how to prepare and use the personnel we have. 

THIS.  Did Malik Miller do something to anger his coaches?  Why he has not been used is more than puzzling.  

Gus has NO TRUST IN HIS PLAYERS.  He is expecting them to fail without giving them a chance.  He ran KJ into the ground Saturday because he won't trust anyone else.

23 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

THIS.  Did Malik Miller do something to anger his coaches?  Why he has not been used is more than puzzling.  

Gus has NO TRUST IN HIS PLAYERS.  He is expecting them to fail without giving them a chance.  He ran KJ into the ground Saturday because he won't trust anyone else.

Ugh.

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Not quick to give Gus credit at all, but you are right on this one and also he called the time out right before half time and we got the blocked punt.

Also, not to be a hypocrite; got to give him at least partial credit for out-strategizing Saben on the kick 6 in 2013.

Other than these few accomplishments, he has not garnered any more praise.  If he figures out how to beat UGA this week, I will give him some props.

Is there a coach in America that wouldn't have called that time out? I think we're going overboard to give him credit for something he should have done regardless. That's basically fundamentals of coaching 101 and I would have been more shocked if he didn't call a time out in that situation.

6 hours ago, auburnphan said:

It was a common sense call that most teams do every time they are in that position.  Ruffin said he talked Gus into making the call on the block because he saw a weakness the time before.  Good God, did you give him credit for color coordinating his clothing and being on time too.  Chizik for example did this every flipping time at the end of the half if Gus had not blown the timeouts already.  

If you have that low of standards for our head coach, that is your choice, but I think the majority of us have much higher.

not sure why you are talking about clothes...anyway it’s was still his call to make..common sense or not...the way you and others pile on, you would think he would have just let the clock run out and come out in second half...then you would have been screaming why he did not try and steal a possession before the half...it was a good decision for him to agree with Ruffin and go with the call.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

I think he is worried about getting his 1000 yard runner to carry on his tradition ?

1 hour ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think he is worried about getting his 1000 yard runner to carry on his tradition ?

or  maybe when it’s an RPO Malik has not quite mastered the protections. But if it’s an obvious run...give the kid some burn, let him tote the rock.

4 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Gus is turnover paranoid.  He has little faith in the other RBs. 

2 hours ago, PoetTiger said:

or  maybe when it’s an RPO Malik has not quite mastered the protections. But if it’s an obvious run...give the kid some burn, let him tote the rock.

No doubt he hasn’t mastered every phase yet but you got to give KJ a break and he needs experience. I love KJ but against uga and uat we are going to need a pounder to go with KJ. Without KP we need Miller.

2 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

No doubt he hasn’t mastered every phase yet but you got to give KJ a break and he needs experience. I love KJ but against uga and uat we are going to need a pounder to go with KJ. Without KP we need Miller.

I agree we need him. Is he healthy?  

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Miller plays on special teams. He recovered the blocked punt for the TD. 

8 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

I don’t know of anything as far as injuries. I think it’s just Gus’s “go with what is working” so he stays with KJ. In fairness I would think a lot of coaches are like that.

19 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I am sure it is important to Gus that you give him some props....?

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I am sure it is important to Gus that you give him some props....?

The only person Gus is worried about giving him props is the one he sees in the mirror.

Archived