What does it take for our defense to become Elite

shabby

McGriff was a huge loss. Steele, Garner, T-Will and Mcgriff could recruit and coach with any defensive staff around. I can't really tell about Brown's coaching but he's definitely not the elite recruiter McGriff was.

Good just not great . A big separation is the mental lapses. Our defense can get lulled to sleep and you can see it coming before it happens.

10 minutes ago, CR said:

McGriff was a huge loss. Steele, Garner, T-Will and Mcgriff could recruit and coach with any defensive staff around. I can't really tell about Brown's coaching but he's definitely not the elite recruiter McGriff was.

Yea I'm not sure about his recruiting but I have been impressed with his coaching. In my opinion he's made every defensive backfield player better this year. 

19 minutes ago, CR said:

OM should be blowing it up pretty soon. Id throw the house at McGriff to come back.

What are the chances the NCAA allows another coach this year?   It was previously discussed.    Maybe Crime Dog would be on the market

35 minutes ago, CR said:

Mcgriff will be available at the end of the year 

8 minutes ago, lala said:

What are the chances the NCAA allows another coach this year?   It was previously discussed.    Maybe Crime Dog would be on the market

He will be . Ole miss is cleaning house .

I think it comes down to adding depth and recruiting. We have lost several battles that could have been game changers for our defense (I.e. Daron Payne, Rashaan Evans, Arden Key, Roquan Smith, Devon Hunter, etc) . We have to start getting those guys, especially in the secondary. Missing on Savion Smith, Kyler McMichael, & Jalyn Armour Davis this year will be huge losses. 

We also have to add depth & talent on the DL. We have signed several talented LB’s that we had to move to DE to get more pass rush (Holland & Moultry). We are potentially losing our best DL players over the next 2 years, so we have to reload with talent. While our DL has played well, we need more TFL & sacks.

As much as we need the pressure, we need to sign true LB’s that can help us stop the run. Losing Tre Williams will hurt us next year. Deshaun Davis has been disappointing, especially in this game. He gave up two big runs to his side. We need LB’s with instincts that can meet the RB’s in the hole.

Finally, we need more turnovers. This comes from tighter coverage and more QB pressure.

Our defensive players are not playing with the discipline of an elite defense. First they must trust their teammates to make the play and focus on their assignment. Much has been said about bama. You will never see 2 players in the same gap. Even on a sweep they just glide over never abandoning their assigned place, trusting their teammate to make the play.....and they do. They play their assignment. Auburn did this very well for 2 games and have been digressing ever since. One or two players leave their assignment in all out pursuit of the ball carrier and we have 4 guys covering 2 spots and 2 spots wide open and undefended. It' like in basketball, 4 guys box out their guy and that one guy doesn't, he chases the rebound, and the team suffers. Early in the year they scrimmage and the scout team did not use a ball. That was the best assignment defense they played all year. 

I think the players and talent are in place, we've just been botching assignments and easy tackles lately. We went from being the last team in the country to allow a team to score more than 14 points to having allowed 20+ points in every SEC game since Miss State. I thought having Tray and Tre back today would help, but there was still a lot of missed assignments.

If the same players keep blowing assignments and you can't bench them, you don't have the amount of talent or the quality of talent you need to be elite. 

15 minutes ago, 17-16 said:

If the same players keep blowing assignments and you can't bench them, you don't have the amount of talent or the quality of talent you need to be elite. 

Boom! sorry but not sorry. C. Davis did it Again. it was like this half ass dive attempt not really running with the receiver on the 62 yard TD. just for some reason got no push off his step?...?  like you pushing off ice or ya got to drop yourself out of the early rounds of the draft this year. 

Archived