Question for the board

Eagle Eye 7

Last week bowl cut pulled a onside kick only the opening kickoff. So here is a two part question.

1. Should we expect bowl cut to throw a lot of unexpected stuff at us this weekend ?

2. Should AU plan a few elusive moves for jajaw?

my thought to  both are yes. I think ks will be doing everything he can to jump out to an early lead to try and force Gus to drop his game plan. And I think we should play hell bent on curb stomping them into giving up. 

What say ye .

To answer the first question, yes I'm sure there are some tendencies in their play calling they are going to change to try to mess up our game plan based on what we've seen on tape. But that is what most good coaches do anyways (looking at you Gustav...). To answer the second question I don't necessarily think we need to throw elusive moves at them. I would like to see aggressive play calling and relentless effort to score as many points as possible and to put their offense in lots of 3rd and longs. I wouldn't mind seeing a random onside by carlson if the time is right. Things like that can be back breakers (see Turds onside in NC game two years ago). I would rather lose a game from balls to the wall aggression rather than passive "playing not to lose" play calling. If there is a fourth and goal at the 2 or less, I'm going for it 11 times out of 10. But that's just my mentality. Hope we come out swinging this Saturday. War Eagle as always!

I honestly don't think KS will do anything besides line up and run the ball straight at us. They'll throw a few quick hitters early to keep us honest.  I expect UGA to run blitz every first down after the first two series. It's no secret we script our first 10-15 plays. After that, in a game of this magnitude, it'll be all Gus (KJ up the middle or jet sweep) for the remaining 90% of the game. 

1 minute ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Im sure they have a lot of quick hits planned. They worked out quite a few of em against SCar (probably influenced heavily by one of their DBs saying Fromm cant throw outside of slants)

I knew a UF player said that. I didn't realize a USCe player also said it. Interesting...

1 minute ago, doug3020 said:

I knew a UF player said that. I didn't realize a USCe player also said it. Interesting...

Well the slants thing might've been the Florida guy. But yeah a USC player did specifically say "they cant throw" in an interview that was played during the game. The simple fact is they cant air the ball out. They got slants and curls out the ass though. LSU nickel and dimed us to death, but maybe Tray and Tre can prevent that from being too much of an issue. 

Just now, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Well the slants thing might've been the Florida guy. But yeah a USC player did specifically say "they cant throw" in an interview that was played during the game. The simple fact is they cant air the ball out. They got slants and curls out the ass though. LSU nickel and dimed us to death, but maybe Tray and Tre can prevent that from being too much of an issue. 

We'll know a lot more this time next week. I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I'm not overly hopeful. I just have ZERO faith in our HC. Especially given the second half of games against teams with legitimate defenses. I'm afraid the Dawgs will eventually wear us down. 

I swear I would play action pass on First down EVERY single time we make a big gain and do the "hurry up to the line" against Georgia n Bama, instead of that dive up the middle... probably hit a few big gains off of it,

and if we didn't change one other thing that would loosen up their D for the running game and completely change half our tendencies...

that, along with playing as FAST as possible.

Play Malik Miller along with Kam Martin (and DB) to help KJ... and either a package with Malik Willis as a change up or use him as the Running  QB / wildcat instead of KJ to take some of the load off him would be a nice option.

1 hour ago, JGLEATON said:

I swear I would play action pass on First down EVERY single time we make a big gain and do the "hurry up to the line" against Georgia n Bama, instead of that dive up the middle... probably hit a few big gains off of it,

and if we didn't change one other thing that would loosen up their D for the running game and completely change half our tendencies...

that, along with playing as FAST as possible.

Play Malik Miller along with Kam Martin (and DB) to help KJ... and either a package with Malik Willis as a change up or use him as the Running  QB / wildcat instead of KJ to take some of the load off him would be a nice option.

Whether it was successful or not, I would be elated to see us hurry to the line after a first down and throw deep on a go route. That really would change the gameplan for the opposition on first downs.

2 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

Whether it was successful or not, I would be elated to see us hurry to the line after a first down and throw deep on a go route. That really would change the gameplan for the opposition on first downs.

Seems like even the most basic analysis would suggest that. I can't believe our coaches don't get that.

4 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

Unfortunately Gus is so routine that his comfort zone no longer allows for any variation in this type of game. For most of us the only thing we do the exact same everyday is tie our shoes. After that it's a new day, new plan. Not Gus. It's Groundhog Day for him. 

UGA seems to throw to their TEs in seam routes vs us every year. Richt wore it out and I expect Bowl Cut to do the same. I'm just worried about us. We need to dictate the tone, not react to what they do. 

11 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

We also didn’t have Tre that entire LSU game and missed Tray for the second half. Had Tray been in in the second quarter on that missed wide-open interception, we could be sitting real pretty at maybe even a top 5 team. 

6 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

Seems like even the most basic analysis would suggest that. I can't believe our coaches don't get that.

They get it - But dey skurrrred. :sadface:

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Last week bowl cut pulled a onside kick only the opening kickoff. So here is a two part question.

1. Should we expect bowl cut to throw a lot of unexpected stuff at us this weekend ?

2. Should AU plan a few elusive moves for jajaw?

my thought to  both are yes. I think ks will be doing everything he can to jump out to an early lead to try and force Gus to drop his game plan. And I think we should play hell bent on curb stomping them into giving up. 

What say ye .

Good luck with that?

11 hours ago, AUTUmike said:

If we go deep the first time we DON'T run up the middle after a big gain and if it's Davis, Slayton and  Hastings all on a go route... at least two of em will probably be wide open and if one of em catches it in stride it's a TD.

But Gus will probably save it and do it against ULM....

26 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

If we go deep the first time we DON'T run up the middle after a big gain and if it's Davis, Slayton and  Hastings all on a go route... at least two of em will probably be wide open and if one of em catches it in stride it's a TD.

But Gus will probably save it and do it against ULM....

Was just about to say there is a better chance we pull out tricks vs ULM than vs UGA.

I don’t know about trickery from their end as they have more to lose than we do...kinda.

We need to go away from all of our tendacies, set the tone, and fight to win this game. 

This is a winnable game. We need to score and not freaking stop. 

And special teams needs to be practicing like it’s the national championship game - I mean what the heck is going on?!

To be honest and this sounds like piling on Gus but yes expect other coaches to attack us differently.  That is what good coaches do.  They don't show up and run the same plays every game regardless of the situation.  Gus runs the same plays every game, every half, regardless if we are tied , up by 20, or down by 28.  It's all he knows how to do.  We all want and day dream about some great gameplan we have been sitting on for Amen Corner but the reality is it will be the same thing you saw against every team we have played this year.

KJ up the middle behing Cox or a pulling Guard

WR sweep from the shotgun

WR Screen

Go deep.

Am I missing anything?

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

To be honest and this sounds like piling on Gus but yes expect other coaches to attack us differently.  That is what good coaches do.  They don't show up and run the same plays every game regardless of the situation.  Gus runs the same plays every game, every half, regardless if we are tied , up by 20, or down by 28.  It's all he knows how to do.  We all want and day dream about some great gameplan we have been sitting on for Amen Corner but the reality is it will be the same thing you saw against every team we have played this year.

KJ up the middle behing Cox or a pulling Guard

WR sweep from the shotgun

WR Screen

Go deep.

Am I missing anything?

Well according to JS in the post game of aTm, we should be looking for Golson at QB just to prove AG can play any position on the field

52 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Well according to JS in the post game of aTm, we should be looking for Golson at QB just to prove AG can play any position on the field

If legal - I'd love for him to line up at QB just for a play and hand it off to KJ. Maybe against ULM. :P

Just now, Linayus said:

If legal - I'd love for him to line up at QB just for a play and hand it off to KJ. Maybe against ULM. :P

Why would it not be legal?  Maybe a jersey number thing?

3 hours ago, AidiAU said:

I don’t know about trickery from their end as they have more to lose than we do...kinda.

We need to go away from all of our tendacies, set the tone, and fight to win this game. 

This is a winnable game. We need to score and not freaking stop. 

And special teams needs to be practicing like it’s the national championship game - I mean what the heck is going on?!

The whole team does, because it basically is.  Georgia could possibly recover from a loss by winning the SEC Championship Game, but Auburn cannot.  Personally, I would love to see an aggressive Auburn offense attack them with tempo.  Make their defense feel like it is the end of the 3rd quarter as they head into the locker room at halftime.  Gus needs to forget the definition of the word "conservative", and coach like this is the biggest game of his career; it probably is one of them.

Archived