Gus would be wise to look around

aubiefifty

seccountry.com

'I think Gus Malzahn would be wise to look around, frankly'

Nick Cole @NickColeSports

Auburn has perhaps its biggest game of the season coming up on Saturday, and Paul Finebaum is suggesting that Tigers coach Gus Malzahn look for a different job.

These are the times in which we live in SEC Country.

At 7-2, Auburn moved back into the Top 10 of the AP and Coaches Poll on Sunday. And with a home game against Georgia, which is ranked as the No. 1 team in the College Football Playoff rankings, slated for Saturday, the makings of a special run at the end of the season are right there for the Tigers.

The Tigers will close their season, as always, with a matchup with unbeaten Alabama.

During an interview on WJOX’s Opening Drive on Monday morning, Finebaum told the Birmingham audience that he believes Malzahn would actually be wise to be looking around for a job opportunity outside the confines of The Plains.

“Let’s say Malzahn wins one of the two,” Finebaum said in reference to the Georgia and Alabama games. “I’m not sure he can change this atmosphere right now. With a strong athletic director, one who could say ‘Listen, Gus is our coach and we just lost to three of the top four teams in the country and we like the trajectory of our program’ [he could], but we know that’s not going to happen.”

Finebaum, of course, is reference to the uncertainty at athletic director for the Tigers after it was announced that Jay Jacobs would be leaving the post by June, if not sooner.

“I don’t know who is running that athletic department right now and I don’t know who is pulling the strings. I do know–if I had to bet– that Auburn will come up with an unorthodox choice for athletic director and, if past history is an indicator, it will be a challenge. We’ve lived through these wars before. I think Gus Malzahn would be wise to look around, frankly. If he announced on Dec. 1 that he was leaving to go somewhere else, how many people would be upset?”

It is not the first time that Finebaum has suggested that Malzahn may decide to leave the Auburn program whether he’s asked to or not.

In an interview given to the same radio station a few weeks prior, Finebaum suggested that Malzahn might return to his native Arkansas to coach the Razorbacks if Bret Bielema is asked to leave follow this season.

You can hear the complete interview with Finebaum here:

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see it as controversy on this one but frankly keeping it real. Gus is in a very similar situation as Les Miles a year ago.

2 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

I don't see it as controversy on this one but frankly keeping it real. Gus is in a very similar situation as Les Miles a year ago.

Les had the 10th rank team in the nation when he got fired? I didn't know that

It is definitely a cross roads for AU. Gus has not shown much and the argument can be made for him to go. If AU gets an upgrade from Gus it would be the best for both. However, things are not always greener on the other side. The best thing for AU would be for Gus to turn the corner as a head coach and be successful. Guess we will see. Hopping for a historic run for AU! 

Best scenario for the state of the program is for Gus to win out and for us to love him again.  It's a terrible year to be looking for a head coach.  No AD, at least UF/UT/Arky/TAMU/OM all looking for candidates, its going to be slim pickings and we're going to overpay for whoever we hire.  I'm not sure there are many out there that are for-sure better than Gus.  They all have weaknesses or they're somewhat of an unknown on a big stage.

He may still want to find a more stable athletic department. I don't think any coach likes to see the guy who hired him replaced unless their job status is very stable. And Gus consistently keeps one cheek on the hot seat so who knows how he's feeling. Maybe he hates the way he's been instructed to let someone else call the O and sees this athletic department development and actually is looking around. I wouldn't blame him.

32 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Best scenario for the state of the program is for Gus to win out and for us to love him again.  It's a terrible year to be looking for a head coach.  No AD, at least UF/UT/Arky/TAMU/OM all looking for candidates, its going to be slim pickings and we're going to overpay for whoever we hire.  I'm not sure there are many out there that are for-sure better than Gus.  They all have weaknesses or they're somewhat of an unknown on a big stage.

Maybe the most decisive three game stretch in AU history. Any outcome represents a turning point. Either we keep Gus and the program is stable, or we roll the dice as you say in a very big way. UF, UT (both of them), and TAMU have all been wandering in the wilderness looking up enviously at what we consider "mediocrity" for some years now. All but UF tossed coaches with records similar to Gus's. I hated the LSU loss as much as anyone, but the best thing by far for AU would be for Gus to at least split the big 2 and remain as AU's coach for now. 

“Let’s say Malzahn wins one of the two,” Finebaum said in reference to the Georgia and Alabama games. “I’m not sure he can change this atmosphere right now. With a strong athletic director, one who could say ‘Listen, Gus is our coach and we just lost to three of the top four teams in the country and we like the trajectory of our program’   What am I missing here with this quote? If Auburn wins 1 of the 2 games then how will they have lost to 3 of the top 4 teams? Clemson and Alabama or Georgia is not 3. Must be UT math at its best I guess. 

43 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Gus hated working for JJ. His removal makes AU a better place for Gus.  

The Bird drops knowledge 

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I bet we win all of our games now that Jacobs is hanging it up.

53 minutes ago, bigbird said:

^^^yep.

And It's not just winning one of the big two (i think we do btw)...

but I think it's ALSO the way we play in them as far as gus future is concerned...

Guys, we could be blown out in 2 of the last 3. Fact is we will have Gus as our coach in 2018 unless he takes another job. 

We have no AD. ANYONE who thinks we make a voluntary move, hasn't been paying attention to what's going on in the athletic department. 

Gus will be here next year boys, better prepare for it.

I'm still mad as  hell about losing to clempson and lsu, but I'm pulling for you Gus to show me and all the doubters that you can win the big games and become a really good head coach. We have the talent it's up to the coaches (Gus) to get that talent put in the position to win.

14 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

The Bird drops knowledge 

Maybe Bird can have a pinned thread titled “Bird Droppings”? :poke:  

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So do you think he's been handcuffed in a way we all think he handcuffs the OC?

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Thank you! This is the absolute worst possible time for us to go coach hunting. I don't see any way that a coaching search this year goes well for us.

1 hour ago, JMassie11 said:

So do you think he's been handcuffed in a way we all think he handcuffs the OC?

No

1 hour ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Guys, we could be blown out in 2 of the last 3. Fact is we will have Gus as our coach in 2018 unless he takes another job. 

We have no AD. ANYONE who thinks we make a voluntary move, hasn't been paying attention to what's going on in the athletic department. 

Gus will be here next year boys, better prepare for it.

Throw in the fact that there likely to be almost half the SEC looking for new HCs.  There is no way we get into that arms race.

The coaching circuit is too volatile right now. With no AD chosen to replace JJ, we will still have Gus next year. I'm okay with that.

What I'm not okay with is keeping our special teams coach. Dude has go to go.

Typical Finebaum  - he's been suggesting since LSU that Malzahn's in over his head at Auburn while this weekend hypocritically dumping on the Auburn fans that want any 7-2 SEC West coach gone. It's darkly funny seeing ESPN viewers around the country clueing into the special kind of shock-jock idiocy Finebaum has been inflicting on Auburn for many years.

Archived