Gus would be wise to look around

aubiefifty

9 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

Unless we get blown out by UGA and Bammer I don't see Gus going anywhere. A&M was the one he had to have.

Say we get blown out by UGA and Bama. Who will fire him? Who will hire a new coach? Those are the ADs job. We don't have an AD right now. 

Gus is safe no matter what. No matter the scores.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Say we get blown out by UGA and Bama. Who will fire him? Who will hire a new coach? Those are the ADs job. We don't have an AD right now. 

Gus is safe no matter what. No matter the scores.

You think the school President can't hire a national search firm and hire a coach himself? Ole Miss had no AD when they hired Hugh Freeze, and he was only the most successful coach at that school since forever.  He was also their first choice, so clearly having no AD at the time didn't pose much of a barrier.

It is entirely plausible.  Malzahn is probably safe because we are good enough to at least be competitive in these next two games, but to suggest that he CANT be replaced is asinine.

Just now, metafour said:

You think the school President can't hire a national search firm and hire a coach himself? Ole Miss had no AD when they hired Hugh Freeze, and he was only the most successful coach at that school since forever.  He was also their first choice, so clearly having no AD at the time didn't pose much of a barrier.

It is entirely plausible.  Malzahn is probably safe because we are good enough to at least be competitive in these next two games, but to suggest that he CANT be replaced is asinine.

It could happen but won't. We both know this. 

10 minutes ago, metafour said:

uhhh maybe they should have waited for an AD. Although successful Freeze was crooked as a roach leg and had zero appearances in SEC title game..even when they upset Bama back to back. His transgressions will set Ole Miss back, and make it extremely difficult for the next coach. IMO you should have an AD in place before you hire a coach (insert famous Bill Parcells quote here about groceries) don’t hold me accountable for a coach I did not hire...

12 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

It could happen but won't. We both know this. 

Saying that something isn't likely to happen is completely different from saying that it "cant" happen, which is pretty much what you suggested.  If we hypothetically lost 50-0, 50-0 against UGA/UA do you seriously believe that Malzahn CANT be replaced because we don't have an AD? No, he'd be out quicker than Justin Gatlin coming off the blocks.

Gus is probably safe another year even if we lose both games in a close manner. The question really is - does he WANT to stay in this pressure cooker of a job? He is staring down the barrel of a dominant AL and UGA for the next few years. They are our main rivals. We are never going to have more talent than them and he is going to be expected to beat them. 

There is a lot of pressure to coach at Auburn. Would he be more comfortable at Ark where he knows everyone and the pressure is not as intense as it is to win here?

8 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Gus is probably safe another year even if we lose both games in a close manner. The question really is - does he WANT to stay in this pressure cooker of a job? He is staring down the barrel of a dominant AL and UGA for the next few years. They are our main rivals. We are never going to have more talent than them and he is going to be expected to beat them. 

There is a lot of pressure to coach at Auburn. Would he be more comfortable at Ark where he knows everyone and the pressure is not as intense as it is to win here?

yes he would, now we just need to convince him and Arky of that.

1 hour ago, Timeslider 6 said:

yes he would, now we just need to convince him and Arky of that.

I'm just not sure we can find a better HC and get him hired, especially with the competition this year.  UT, UF and A&M all have equal or greater resources than us and they will all be looking.  UF is already making contacts.  UT probably started after UGA beat their brains out and A&M probably started Sunday.  Arky, OM or Mizzou would almost certainly take Gus if they could get him because he would be a substantial upgrade from what they have but I'm thinking if we run him off we may be regretting it a few years from now.   I was as disgusted as I have ever been after the LSU game this year and the UGA game last year but I think it may be time to get over it and look at the big picture.  We have a really tough schedule and there are not many teams in the country that could come through it unscathed. Yes both our losses this year could have and should have been wins but it happens like that sometimes.  You get in those tough games and a bounce here or there makes the difference.  Sometimes they go your way like in 2013 and sometimes they go against you.  

2 hours ago, metafour said:

Anybody remember who became head football coach the last time we sent out a search committee?

9 hours ago, wildlife alumni said:

It is definitely a cross roads for AU. Gus has not shown much and the argument can be made for him to go. If AU gets an upgrade from Gus it would be the best for both. However, things are not always greener on the other side. The best thing for AU would be for Gus to turn the corner as a head coach and be successful. Guess we will see. Hopping for a historic run for AU! 

I’m skipping, but to each his own. 

:big:

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

Gus hated working for JJ. His removal makes AU a better place for Gus.  

Hated it so much his game planning and coaching suffered?

3 minutes ago, selias said:

Hated it so much his game planning and coaching suffered?

No.

Hated it so much he might be inclined to look around at other jobs. JJ is no longer an issue, ergo Gus probably won't be looking very hard at leaving.

Just now, bigbird said:

No.

Hated it so much he might be inclined to look around at other jobs. JJ is no longer an issue, ergo Gus probably won't be looking very hard at leaving.

I was just busting your chops, coach. We agree too much on the problems on the coaching staff for me to be serious there :)

who's writing some of this stuff...."gus has not showed much"....did someone miss that he has coached in two national championship games.....and get an upgrade for gus?    just who is anyone thinking of?  Best I can tell, nobody likely to coach at AU after gus has ever won a game against an SEC team..     

I would laugh if it wasn't so sad watching AU head down the same path as Tennessee and Texas and a half dozen other teams who were going to hire the coach who would get them a championship.....and got what they deserved in my view. 

7 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

So do you think he's been handcuffed in a way we all think he handcuffs the OC?

All JJ told him was to hire a OC  he actually would trust to call plays instead a GA to just act like Rhett did last year. Gus flipped him off and hired an OC and did him the same way he did Rhett. The only one who handcuffs Gus is Gus.   As I have said already for the sake of these players I hope we win them all even if it means keeping Gus another year. But the truth of it is Gus will always be Gus so we will be back to this juncture again. But right now I’m just thinking championship. Beat the dawgs and the turds. Let me re-phrase that. Let’s beat the turds out of the dawgs then beat the dawg out of the turds.?

4 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

But lose to GA and bama and you won't be 10th.

perhaps we could wait for those losses before making such comparisons

11 minutes ago, shabby said:

perhaps we could wait for those losses before making such comparisons

Couldn't agree more. 

6 hours ago, metafour said:

Uhm, he is 100% right.  Malzahn has almost zero job security next season: a new AD, plus a big exodus of talent this upcoming off season, plus his general ineptitude means that he's probably in for a long season.  Whereas exterior circumstances will save him this year, he's likely out next season barring a miracle performance.

I love how by beating a few teams that are way below us we are supposed to have some sort of new found hope.  Nothing has changed here.  If he beats Georgia and/or Alabama, then we can start talking...until then we are simply a very talented team that blew it earlier this season due to head coaching ineptitude and are still hovering around the ~top 10 because others have played their tough games before us.  2 of our 3 hardest games this season are yet to be played; we'll see where our ranking is after those two games.

??? The point is not whether he's right or wrong (we'll soon see), the point is many auburn fans reached the same conclusion as finebaum but he's oddly - or hypocritically - trashing us for doing so.

4 hours ago, metafour said:

Saying that something isn't likely to happen is completely different from saying that it "cant" happen, which is pretty much what you suggested.  If we hypothetically lost 50-0, 50-0 against UGA/UA do you seriously believe that Malzahn CANT be replaced because we don't have an AD? No, he'd be out quicker than Justin Gatlin coming off the blocks.

Refreshing.  The hyperbole from all directions gets tiresome.  Thanks, metafour.

it's becoming obvious that the uat phenenom is beginning to drive the entire sec crazy and weaken it structurally. And since we're in the same state.....  We're 2 years away from everyone grovelling to get the most recent Saban assistant.  

We haven't even played the games yet and we're doing this crap about losing scenarios to fire our coach. And we're still in the hunt for the playoffs.  No matter how many Gus can't win the big games dissertations/rationalizations  I read, it's obvious saban has gotten into our heads.

If we win 1 of the big 2, we will go 9-3. I think the next AD would call Gus in and give him a vote of confidence and tell him to keep the big MO for 2018. If we lose both games and do so badly, then yes, Gus will go. There is enough talented coaches out there no doubt. I think us and Florida will pay the most for a coach and will get the best 2 out there no doubt. UT will get stupid and hire Gruden and this will be Kiffen part 2.

Two questions: (I'm not implying that these questions possess the basis for which no changes should be made)

How many years did it take for us to get a defense?

What happens to that defense if we clean house?

Everyone needs to be All In for the remaining games and that includes supporting the coaches.

Otherwise what's the point? The same issues and or worse would exist for a new coach in his first and second season.

Get on the Bus for one more ride and lets see what happens. Encourage success instead of hoping for failure.

Unfortunately none on the message boards seem to have any inside information on how the PTB views Gus.  To me that is the key to his future.  i think Gus's buyout is too large for him to want to jump into the fire in Arkansas.  IMO, he's in a much better place if he stays at AU.

Archived