Gus would be wise to look around

aubiefifty

17 minutes ago, gulftiger66 said:

Unfortunately none on the message boards seem to have any inside information on how the PTB views Gus.  To me that is the key to his future.  i think Gus's buyout is too large for him to want to jump into the fire in Arkansas.  IMO, he's in a much better place if he stays at AU.

And consider the talent....Auburn is in a great place if we can just finish rounding out this class.   Arkansas is struggling against the likes of Coastal Carolina.   

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based off the last few recruiting classes we have more talent than FL and TN. We’re closer to being a good program than either of those two are. That said, we won’t have the same time those two do. I really think we should take a look at LK if he wins his next four games.

While reading this thread and others about future coaching changes a thought came to me.  the thought (question) is why isn't Navy coach Ken Niumatalolo not getting any love?  Admittedly, he seems to have a limited playbook, but look what he does with his talent.

13 hours ago, AU64 said:

who's writing some of this stuff...."gus has not showed much"....did someone miss that he has coached in two national championship games.....and get an upgrade for gus?    just who is anyone thinking of?  Best I can tell, nobody likely to coach at AU after gus has ever won a game against an SEC team..     

I would laugh if it wasn't so sad watching AU head down the same path as Tennessee and Texas and a half dozen other teams who were going to hire the coach who would get them a championship.....and got what they deserved in my view. 

Malzahn is an 8-win coach, can we please stop talking about fluke national championship appearances as some sort of barometer for his aptitude? That second championship appearance outlines Malzahn entirely: miracle plays in back to back games throw him into the title game, we come out blowing FSU out of the water and then proceed to choke one of the biggest leads in recent MNC history on route to a loss.  He's been a cripple ever since that game.  You understand that when years 3/4/5 of a coach's tenure are noticeably worse than year 1, that this isn't a good sign, right? 

Can you grow a pair? You are shaking at the thought of replacing a lame-duck coach who in year 5 still coaches like a loser and who still takes a quarter (or more) of a season to actually figure out what type of team he has, on top of the myriad of other comical coaching flaws he possesses.  Like I said, we'll see where we sit after UGA/UA because THIS was Malzahn's season with a stacked roster on both sides of the ball, and here we are sitting with 2 losses with a strong possibility of 2 more.  4 losses this year with what should have been a playoff caliber roster will be an utter fail, period.

16 minutes ago, metafour said:

Malzahn is an 8-win coach, can we please stop talking about fluke national championship appearances as some sort of barometer for his aptitude? That second championship appearance outlines Malzahn entirely: miracle plays in back to back games throw him into the title game, we come out blowing FSU out of the water and then proceed to choke one of the biggest leads in recent MNC history on route to a loss.  He's been a cripple ever since that game.  You understand that when years 3/4/5 of a coach's tenure are noticeably worse than year 1, that this isn't a good sign, right? 

Can you grow a pair? You are shaking at the thought of replacing a lame-duck coach who in year 5 still coaches like a loser and who still takes a quarter (or more) of a season to actually figure out what type of team he has, on top of the myriad of other comical coaching flaws he possesses.  Like I said, we'll see where we sit after UGA/UA because THIS was Malzahn's season with a stacked roster on both sides of the ball, and here we are sitting with 2 losses with a strong possibility of 2 more.  4 losses this year with what should have been a playoff caliber roster will be an utter fail, period.

While your delivery is a bit harsh, I don't know how you can be more right than this.

14 minutes ago, metafour said:

Can you grow a pair? You are shaking at the thought of replacing a lame-duck coach who in year 5 still coaches like a loser and who still takes a quarter (or more) of a season to actually figure out what type of team he has, on top of the myriad of other comical coaching flaws he possesses

I think maybe you are confusing two things. One thing is how many of us fans would like a change at head coach. My guess is the majority of AU fans support that. The other thing is how many of us are completely confident we can land someone guaranteed to be better. The majority of coaching changes result in things staying the same or getting worse. This is not a banner year for coaching candidates. Guarantee me we can get Bob Stoops or Chip Kelly and I'm all in on making a change. But you can't guarantee that. Anyone can come on a message board and demand firing a coach. In fact, that's what is happening with at least 6-8 SEC teams right now. Maybe the time is right to fire Gus, but I hope like heck it's not to replace him with a Chizik or a McElwain. And remember, Jay Jacobs is still here to make the hire.  

All that said, the best scenario is to beat UGA and Bama.  WDE?!!!

9 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

And remember, Jay Jacobs is still here to make the hire.  

JJ won't be hiring anyone at AU again.

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I think maybe you are confusing two things. One thing is how many of us fans would like a change at head coach. My guess is the majority of AU fans support that. The other thing is how many of us are completely confident we can land someone guaranteed to be better. The majority of coaching changes result in things staying the same or getting worse. This is not a banner year for coaching candidates. Guarantee me we can get Bob Stoops or Chip Kelly and I'm all in on making a change. But you can't guarantee that. Anyone can come on a message board and demand firing a coach. In fact, that's what is happening with at least 6-8 SEC teams right now. Maybe the time is right to fire Gus, but I hope like heck it's not to replace him with a Chizik or a McElwain. And remember, Jay Jacobs is still here to make the hire.  

All that said, the best scenario is to beat UGA and Bama.  WDE?!!!

Not meta, but people are acting like there will be some magical great crop of coaching candidates to fall out of the sky next year. It will be the same candidates basically, and if not the exact same candidates the same type of candidates. I understand the AD situation, but to not WANT to move on from Gus unless you're ok with losing to our rivals --the teams that we have equal talent to (sans Bama) -- on a yearly basis, is not holding AU football to the expectation that it should be held at IMO

33 minutes ago, metafour said:

Hey....it's a college football program...not some test of your manhood.   I'm thinking you might need to get a life and not let what a bunch of 18-21 year old guys do on a football field cause you so much anguish.      Just noticing that people with no accountability for outcomes are pretty generous with their advice, their second guessing and seems that their solution to any disappointment is to fire somebody.

Likely Gus will be gone after this year.....fine with me if that's what happens.....but I don't look forward to round 3 of this bellyaching because we didn't get Chip of Stoops when "we could have easily had them" as someone is certain to say.  

JMO but the players and coaches get damn little respect or appreciation on this board for what they do.  Many folks (and the loudest voices) rarely recognize the good things that happen are able to focus on the 5% over the 95%.   Sad life some folks are leading....JMO. 

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

And consider the talent....Auburn is in a great place if we can just finish rounding out this class.   Arkansas is struggling against the likes of Coastal Carolina.   

We struggled against Mercer. Not as badly as Arky against CC, but it was a game until the 4th. Possibly the ugliest Auburn performance I ever witnessed in person.

Why are some assuming this isn't a good year to hire a head coach? Because no young or unknown head coach has stood out? Whomever Auburn hires will be coaching this year as well as next. We just need a competent search committee to find them. Who says we have to limit the search to college coaches either? You can't tell me there isn't someone qualified in the NFL who would take the job.

28 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

We struggled against Mercer. Not as badly as Arky against CC, but it was a game until the 4th. Possibly the ugliest Auburn performance I ever witnessed in person.

Think of how it would’ve gone without the 5 turnovers.

Pump the brakes people.

I think we need to let our new AD settle in and get a lay of the land before we start looking for head coaches. Let him see what he has to work with, and what personality types will work with our leadership and boosters. Because honestly, if the coach can't communicate well with the BOT and boosters, then it'll be a failed hire long term regardless of how good he is. The first bump in the road we cross, all hell will break lose.

I also think it's a bit premature to be going ahead and looking at firing a coach that will easily win 8 games this year, and still has the theoretical possibility of winning 10 (and that's before the post-season begins). The only reason people are giving up on the Bama and UGA games (and thus our coach) is because they are ranked #1 and #2. If they were each ranked 10-25 or so, I don't think anyone would be considering firing him yet. It's dumb to base the firing of our coach on the ranking of our rivals. This is how you get a program spiraling out of control (see UT).

I mean, if we fire Malzahn and our prospective new coach asks the questions "Why did you fire Malzahn?", do you think "He failed to beat the #1 and #2 teams in the nation this year." will go over well? We're going to look unreasonable and unstable especially having let go of our AD. Three of our loses will have been against Top 5 teams, and he deserves to get fired?

And regardless, we STILL have a chance against Bama+UGA. They're home games against our rivals. I'm not quitting on this team yet.

17 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

The only reason people are giving up on the Bama and UGA games (and thus our coach) is because they are ranked #1 and #2. If they were each ranked 10-25 or so, I don't think anyone would be considering firing him yet.

While you make some good points, I respectfully disagree on the bolded portion. It's his propensity to shart himself in games against teams that have recruited in and around the top 10 (just like Gus) that have people feeling this way.

UGA could look mediocre (like the previous 2 years when we clearly had the better teams) I'd still have no confidence that if the game comes down to key coaching decisions that we would win. 

Some feel that firing someone requires testerone or something. Firing someone is the easiest, often wimpiest decision management ever makes.  It's a classic. Looks decisive and buys you 2 years. Problem is, then the two years comes.  I can tell you the hardest decision is holding on to someone you believe in and taking the crap.  There has to be someone actually, factually better available and initially identified, otherwise it's just expensive manipulation.

Half  of these posts are ready, fire, aim.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

Not meta, but people are acting like there will be some magical great crop of coaching candidates to fall out of the sky next year. It will be the same candidates basically, and if not the exact same candidates the same type of candidates. I understand the AD situation, but to not WANT to move on from Gus unless you're ok with losing to our rivals --the teams that we have equal talent to (sans Bama) -- on a yearly basis, is not holding AU football to the expectation that it should be held at IMO

As my original posts indicates, I too am ready to make a change, for the right person. I have full confidence in our ability to fire Gus. I don't have the same confidence in our ability to improve our situation. 

3 of our last 4 hires:

A 30 something Samford coach 

A 5-19 Iowa State coach coming off a 2 win season

Gus with 1 year HC experience at a Sunbelt school

All I'm saying is if we fire Gus, we better get the next hire very, very right. It can get worse.  

13 hours ago, doc4aday said:

If we win 1 of the big 2, we will go 9-3. I think the next AD would call Gus in and give him a vote of confidence and tell him to keep the big MO for 2018. If we lose both games and do so badly, then yes, Gus will go. There is enough talented coaches out there no doubt. I think us and Florida will pay the most for a coach and will get the best 2 out there no doubt. UT will get stupid and hire Gruden and this will be Kiffen part 2.

aTm can unload a Brinks truck for the coach they target.  Gruden won't come back to coaching at any level, college or pro. 

Gus is here through 2018.   And while I don't take a shine to the idea, AU is in a transition phase at the top (New President & AD) and the entire landscape of this conference is about to be turned upside down.  Auburn may be better served to wait it out,  let things settle down, let the new Pres/AD complete a few evaluations and get to know their BOT & big $$ Boosters a little better over the next year.  

33 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

Pump the brakes people.

I think we need to let our new AD settle in and get a lay of the land before we start looking for head coaches. Let him see what he has to work with, and what personality types will work with our leadership and boosters. Because honestly, if the coach can't communicate well with the BOT and boosters, then it'll be a failed hire long term regardless of how good he is. The first bump in the road we cross, all hell will break lose.

I also think it's a bit premature to be going ahead and looking at firing a coach that will easily win 8 games this year, and still has the theoretical possibility of winning 10 (and that's before the post-season begins). The only reason people are giving up on the Bama and UGA games (and thus our coach) is because they are ranked #1 and #2. If they were each ranked 10-25 or so, I don't think anyone would be considering firing him yet. It's dumb to base the firing of our coach on the ranking of our rivals. This is how you get a program spiraling out of control (see UT).

I mean, if we fire Malzahn and our prospective new coach asks the questions "Why did you fire Malzahn?", do you think "He failed to beat the #1 and #2 teams in the nation this year." will go over well? We're going to look unreasonable and unstable especially having let go of our AD. Three of our loses will have been against Top 5 teams, and he deserves to get fired?

And regardless, we STILL have a chance against Bama+UGA. They're home games against our rivals. I'm not quitting on this team yet.

I meant to facepalm instead of like.  The reason some of us want Gus fired should he lose to UGA and spuat has nothing to do with where they are ranked.  The reason is should we lose it will be the 4th year in a row that Gus has failed to beat both of our two biggest rivals no matter their rankings.  That should be totally unacceptable especially in UGA's case.  

wde

33 minutes ago, AUTigerTime said:

Pump the brakes people.

While I am in agreement with the first paragraph of your post, I disagree with the remainder........The notion of canning Gus right now stems from his record over the last 3 seasons, not because our two biggest rivals are ranked #1-2 at the moment.  People were calling for Gus' head after the 2015 piss poor showing landing AU in freaking Legion Field for a bowl game, and again after 2016 when he finally pushed Rhett out of the nest.

Literally since the aTm loss almost exactly 3 years ago today (11/8/14) Gus has appeared to be in over his head for a job at this level of college football.  Anyone that asks why Gus was fired will easily understand that Auburn Football expects to field teams that consistently compete for championships.  The bar at Auburn is higher than 8 win seasons and a 1-3 record in bowl games.  

Agree 100% - Gus has a golden opportunity in front of him to shut everyone up and buy some time.  He's had plenty of time to prepare his troops to take the battle field on Saturday.  No excuses - just WIN!

Firing and paying the buyout...is easy..I guess. But where do you go? Especially with no AD in place. Got to have a AD first. Imo barring a complete cluster in the next 3 games..Gus will be back in 2018....

11 minutes ago, AUIH1 said:

I meant to facepalm instead of like.  The reason some of us want Gus fired should he lose to UGA and spuat has nothing to do with where they are ranked.  The reason is should we lose it will be the 4th year in a row that Gus has failed to beat both of our two biggest rivals no matter their rankings.  That should be totally unacceptable especially in UGA's case.  

wde

Anyone that has paid the least bit of attention to Auburn football can't be so obtuse as to think the current mood of the fan base and the notion to fire Gus rests solely on where our 2 rivals are currently ranked, can they?  :dead:

21 minutes ago, keesler said:

aTm can unload a Brinks truck for the coach they target.  Gruden won't come back to coaching at any level, college or pro. 

Gus is here through 2018.   And while I don't take a shine to the idea, AU is in a transition phase at the top (New President & AD) and the entire landscape of this conference is about to be turned upside down.  Auburn may be better served to wait it out,  let things settle down, let the new Pres/AD complete a few evaluations and get to know their BOT & big $$ Boosters a little better over the next year.  

I agree in part with your assessment, but if we lose badly the 2 most important games, can we afford another year of waiting?  My hopes and prayers are that Gus will coach the best 2 games of his career and win those games or at least go 1 out of 2 and take the other down to the wire. This would be great.  Does Gus have what it takes to turn the corner and be a 9-11 win per season coach? I am not sure, but I do think he will try his best to do so. He could wind up at UA (Ark.) with an 8-4 record.  If this happens, then yes we will have a new coach.

I remember back when bammer was undefeated and was either 2 or 3 in the nation. Bill Curry was their coach. After a loss to us and I think 3 or 4 years of loses, he was fired.  Regardless of the rankings of Uga and bammer this season, the cumulative 0-8 possible record has to be taken strongly into play for keeping Gus. I do think though Gus will be back regardless based on the AD situation. Do I like this? Not really but what it is, is what it is folks!

Please Gus, coach your best games coming up and evolve into a top tier SEC coach. 

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

Just noticing that people with no accountability for outcomes are pretty generous with their advice, their second guessing and seems that their solution to any disappointment is to fire somebody.

Did you say accountability?

You mean like when the guy you responded to went on and on and on and on and on and on and on about cementing a player as a Top 10 pick and they end up going in the 4th Round and then he completely vanishes from the forums?

That kind of accountability?

Archived