Underdogs

WDG

I am tired of this mantra way too many Auburn people have of relishing being the underdog. We are way better than that as a program. We have to get rid of this underdog mentality. I want to be the favorite. The team everyone is always chasing. Georgia is not that much better than us talent wise. If they are even more talented at all. We SHOULD beat them. But I just have so little faith in our offensive play calling. Here is to hopefully be proven wrong and eating lots of crow!!!

15 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I am tired of this mantra way too many Auburn people have of relishing being the underdog. We are way better than that as a program. We have to get rid of this underdog mentality. I want to be the favorite. The team everyone is always chasing. Georgia is not that much better than us talent wise. If they are even more talented at all. We SHOULD beat them. But I just have so little faith in our offensive play calling. Here is to hopefully be proven wrong and eating lots of crow!!!

I agree with what you said except for one thing, it's Auburn we're talking about and they have not handled great expectations very well throughout history. That being said, I think it's better for Auburn to be the hunter and not the hunted. I know how you feel though. It's not my personal preference either. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

I agree with what you said except for one thing, it's Auburn we're talking about and they have not handled great expectations very well throughout history. That being said, I think it's better for Auburn to be the hunter and not the hunted. I know how you feel though. It's not my personal preference either. 

I agree and I AM TIRED OF US NOT HANDLING WELL BEING THE FAVORITE!!!!!!! I want us to string together some consistent winning seasons and take everyones best shot and thump em. We are not some spunky little underdog program!!! We have 3 undefeated seasons since 93. We have won 3 sec titles since 04. We have played for 2 natties since 2010 and should of been 3 since 04. We are not some cute little underdog program. WE ARE f#$%^n Auburn!!! We are a fringe blue blood and top 10 program all time. We should and NEED to take the next step. I think most of the underdog mentality comes from the fans. You know dang well the players and coaches do not think like that. 

All the major oddsmakers in Vegas opened at -3 UGA, and some have moved to - 2.5. I don't bet on Auburn games as a rule, but if Auburn gets more than 3 points anywhere, that would be where I would take us (if I bet on Auburn). That being said, we should beat this Georgia team. 

I also think the game will go under 48.5. 

27 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I agree and I AM TIRED OF US NOT HANDLING WELL BEING THE FAVORITE!!!!!!! I want us to string together some consistent winning seasons and take everyones best shot and thump em. We are not some spunky little underdog program!!! We have 3 undefeated seasons since 93. We have won 3 sec titles since 04. We have played for 2 natties since 2010 and should of been 3 since 04. We are not some cute little underdog program. WE ARE f#$%^n Auburn!!! We are a fringe blue blood and top 10 program all time. We should and NEED to take the next step. I think most of the underdog mentality comes from the fans. You know dang well the players and coaches do not think like that. 

The problem is the players seem to play like it and the coaches coach like it whether they think like that or not. That is what needs to change for sure. The fan mentality is the fallout from the performance. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Agreed.  It's been that way for a long time. 

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I totally understand what you’re saying. We do get it! One thing to consider, there’s a difference between being an underdog and just being disrespected.

We are currently the highest ranked two loss team in the country, and after the Clemson and LSU debacles, we are back in the top 10!

My obvious point: we are getting respect, but we are the underdogs at home against Georgia and I like it!

Funny...Auburn fans call the losses debacles and the rest of the sports world seems to consider them as tough respectable losses at two very difficult places to play....two death valleys.

Bodda Getta
Bodda Getta
Bodda Getta Bah;
Rah Rah Rah
Sis Boom Bah;
Weagle, weagle, War Damn Eagle
Kick 'em in the butt, Big Blue! Hey!

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Funny...Auburn fans call the losses debacles and the rest of the sports world seems to consider them as tough respectable losses at two very difficult places to play....two death valleys.

Funny...Some people would consider what is supposed to be a top-five or top-ten program, giving up 11 sacks against Clemson to be a debacle.  How many other, of Clemson’s opponents, have given-up 11 sacks?

Funnier...Some people would consider losing at Death Valley in Baton Rouge, after the mighty Troy Trojans beat LSU in Baton Rouge a debacle. 

I guess what is a debacle to some, is just not a debacle to others?

Back to the point at hand. We are the underdogs, against the number one or number two team in the country, but we are getting respect!

19 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

Funny...Some people would consider what is supposed to be a top-five or top-ten program, giving up 11 sacks against Clemson to be a debacle.  How many other, of Clemson’s opponents, have given-up 11 sacks?

Funnier...Some people would consider losing at Death Valley in Baton Rouge, after the mighty Troy Trojans beat LSU in Baton Rouge a debacle. 

I guess what is a debacle to some, is just not a debacle to others?

Back to the point at hand. We are the underdogs, against the number one or number two team in the country, but we are getting respect!

I understand you comments but just noting that AU people judge the school harsher than most of the rest of the country.  AU people would be happier if they weren't so hard on themselves.  As for the various games you mention....where was the comment about LSU holding the vaunted tide to fewer than 300 yards....or Clemson losing to Syracuse? or the quality win over a TAMU team that gave bama a pretty tough battle?   

Comments about lack of respect for Auburn abound on this forum but mostly I've noticed that they originate from AU fans.    Interesting to me is that a good number are just as unhappy with a win as they are with a loss.  I'm hoping they have joy somewhere in their lives because football does not seem to bring much no matter what successes the team has.. 

19 minutes ago, AU64 said:

AU people judge the school harsher than most of the rest of the country.

"They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves." posing as AuFamily but rooting for another team.

2 hours ago, AU64 said:

You mean the one's that didn't watch the debacles?

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

I understand you comments but just noting that AU people judge the school harsher than most of the rest of the country.  AU people would be happier if they weren't so hard on themselves.  As for the various games you mention....where was the comment about LSU holding the vaunted tide to fewer than 300 yards....or Clemson losing to Syracuse? or the quality win over a TAMU team that gave bama a pretty tough battle?   

Comments about lack of respect for Auburn abound on this forum but mostly I've noticed that they originate from AU fans.    Interesting to me is that a good number are just as unhappy with a win as they are with a loss.  I'm hoping they have joy somewhere in their lives because football does not seem to bring much no matter what successes the team has.. 

Where and when did I say I was unhappy with the win? Where and when was I disrespecting Auburn? To the contrary I said: it’s nice despite the “debacles” we are in the top 10, and the highest rated 2 loss team in the country!

Again, it’s nice to be the underdog,  (against the number one or two team in the country) yet still get respect!

You’re taking one word “debacle” out of context and putting it into your own personal agenda for the board.

War Eagle!

6 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Where and when did I say I was unhappy with the win? Where and when was I disrespecting Auburn? To the contrary I said: it’s nice despite the “debacles” we are in the top 10, and the highest rated 2 loss team in the country!

Again, it’s nice to be the underdog,  (against the number one or two team in the country) yet still get respect!

You’re taking one word “debacle” out of context and putting it into your own personal agenda for the board.

War Eagle!

That’s what some people don’t get . In actuality the media understands how talent Auburn is despite some of the insane things our coach has put us through. We have respect, which is why this year has been about no excuses .

On 11/6/2017 at 4:44 PM, GwillMac6 said:

I agree and disagree to an extent.  Some players need that chip on their shoulder.  For example, Russell Westbrook (had to, OKC fan here).  One of the best basketball players in the league.  But he plays with so much fury and emotion if that no one wants to get in front of him when he drives to the rim.  Some players need to have that confidence of I am the best, others need the mindset of "I will make you regret doubting me."  I think Auburn is more in the second column, and nothing is wrong with that.  I am the same way when I powerlift.  Before every lift I always think back to when I was picked on as a child, or the need to protect my little brother.  Another reason why I need intense music from people like Eminem to listen to.  I'm no underdog in the gym, but I need to think like it.  

If we are getting respect from the talking heads, how come it is a foregone conclusion that Georgia is playing Bama in the SEC championship game? It's not "if" they play, but "when" they play. It bugs me, but at the same time, I giggle at the possibility of shocking the world and beating both those teams. :Sing:

On 11/6/2017 at 4:18 PM, Barnacle said:

All the major oddsmakers in Vegas opened at -3 UGA, and some have moved to - 2.5. I don't bet on Auburn games as a rule, but if Auburn gets more than 3 points anywhere, that would be where I would take us (if I bet on Auburn). That being said, we should beat this Georgia team. 

I also think the game will go under 48.5. 

Will be hard to be under 48.5 when we score 49. Just saying.

15 hours ago, AU64 said:

There's one person on here who thinks we shouldn't have won at Clemson...despite the fact that somewhat of a couple of decent drives or offensive pass protection could have done it.

People are content with that and it's frustrating.

What is even more ridiculous is that we all see that we could be Alot better than we are. If we lose one of two to close out the year, it will still be a disappointment in my opinion. 

7 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I agree and disagree to an extent.  Some players need that chip on their shoulder.  For example, Russell Westbrook (had to, OKC fan here).  One of the best basketball players in the league.  But he plays with so much fury and emotion if that no one wants to get in front of him when he drives to the rim.  Some players need to have that confidence of I am the best, others need the mindset of "I will make you regret doubting me."  I think Auburn is more in the second column, and nothing is wrong with that.  I am the same way when I powerlift.  Before every lift I always think back to when I was picked on as a child, or the need to protect my little brother.  Another reason why I need intense music from people like Eminem to listen to.  I'm no underdog in the gym, but I need to think like it.  

lmao!!! yooooooo be honest. The only reason you made this post was to give yourself a excuse to let everyone know you powerlift!!! Don't lie on us!!! lol

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lmao!!! yooooooo be honest. The only reason you made this post was to give yourself a excuse to let everyone know you powerlift!!! Don't lie on us!!! lol

Man I thought I got up early for work and you are up and kicking at ~4:00 AM.  I like to use metaphors when having conversations to help get my point across.  I find it helps paint a picture of what I am trying to say.  

Archived