Bama Players paid for autographs (merged threads)

meh130

Members of 2009 Alabama National Championship Team Were Allegedly Paid for Their Autographs

Multiple players from Alabama's 2009 BCS National Championship team might have been paid for autographs during December of 2009, prior to the National Championship Game against Texas.

In a recent Sports Illustrated story by Luke Winn titled "Operation Stolen Base", former Crimson Tide players Marquis Johnson and Terrence Cody are among a group of players named who allegedly received cash for signing Alabama memorabilia.

Note two things. This was 2009, and the players asked for money. Asked for money, as if this was expected and normal.

The earliest pictures of Tom Albetar, owner of T-Town Menswear, and Alabama players was during the 2009 season. The T-Town scandal happened during the 2010 season, resulting in a Cease and Desist letter being sent to Albetar in December of 2010.

There was another Albetar scandal during the 2013 season where Albetar was selling signed, used, official Alabama football items online. The story broke in January 2014. Just prior to the 2013 season, Johnny Manziel, reigning Heisman winner, was caught up in a money for autographs scandal. If there ever was a season for a college player to keep his nose clean on money for autographs, it was 2013 after the Johnny Football issues. But instead, at the end of 2013 another Bama autograph scandal occurred.

My guess is this has been going on for years at Bama.

Can't believe the selfish attitudes of these UAT players as if the Dodge Chargers aren't enough. They want cash too. Unbelievable. 

12 minutes ago, stoic-one said:

Ice cream for all!

Well, after all the judge did rule recently that it's hot there and that must be taken into account. :-\

Are these stories about bammer supposed to be surprising or shocking?  They do this kind of stuff all the time, it doesn’t seem to matter, they’re above everybody else.

Just now, around4ever said:

Nothing new.  They have done that for years with no consequences. 

Paid for autographs, brand new chargers/challengers, and wasn't there something about a guy and his suit shop from a few years back? Will there ever be a day when they finally get busted for this crap? :-\

It was within the window of their previous probation, but as others have said, I’m sure nothing will come of it. If the Yahoo report by Robinson didn’t get at least a phone call to bama by the NCAA, then I feel pretty confident this will be ignored as well.

It is still baffling to me that the Yahoo report was completely ignored. Think about it this way: if a crack addict is found to have bought hypodermic needles at the local CVS and there are credit card statements to support it, wouldn’t his parole officer at least stop by and see if he’s back to his old ways again??

Wasn't Terrance Cody the guy that was asked about graduating at a bowl game press conference and didn't even know what his major was lol?

Nothing will come of any of this though and it will be business as usual. Us, the NCAA would be on campus already.

Just now, Texan4Auburn said:

Wasn't Terrance Cody the guy that was asked about graduating at a bowl game press conference and didn't even know what his major was lol?

Nothing will come of any of this though and it will be business as usual. Us, the NCAA would be on campus already.

When a reporter asked him how he felt about becoming an All-American, he said "I knewd i was good, but I didn't knew I was that good." Bama education for ya lol 

6 hours ago, meh130 said:

Note two things. This was 2009, and the players asked for money. Asked for money, as if this was expected and normal.

The earliest pictures of Tom Albetar, owner of T-Town Menswear, and Alabama players was during the 2009 season. The T-Town scandal happened during the 2010 season, resulting in a Cease and Desist letter being sent to Albetar in December of 2010.

There was another Albetar scandal during the 2013 season where Albetar was selling signed, used, official Alabama football items online. The story broke in January 2014. Just prior to the 2013 season, Johnny Manziel, reigning Heisman winner, was caught up in a money for autographs scandal. If there ever was a season for a college player to keep his nose clean on money for autographs, it was 2013 after the Johnny Football issues. But instead, at the end of 2013 another Bama autograph scandal occurred.

My guess is this has been going on for years at Bama.

This and plenty of other stuff....for years and years.

Image result for funny alabama fan gif

I'm totally shocked.  Not bammer.  The place where legends are made would never break the rules.  

Archived