Roberts graded as the best Safety

GwillMac6

23 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Are you the rice guy from the bunker? 

lol NO. check my post history if you think I am that sunshine pumper. I thought rice was on 247 though.

Happy for him....he's a hard worker but sure makes me nervous with his trash talk.

Sooner or later at some crucial moment an SEC ref is going to flag him....and probably at a time when it hurts badly.   JMO but these last couple big games I'm looking for the refs to be a factor somewhere with a funky call.   He's the guy I worry about. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Happy for him....he's a hard worker but sure makes me nervous with his trash talk.

Sooner or later at some crucial moment an SEC ref is going to flag him....and probably at a time when it hurts badly.   JMO but these last couple big games I'm looking for the refs to be a factor somewhere with a funky call.   He's the guy I worry about. 

Honestly we need more guys with that kind of swagger and bravado. I have not seen that lately out of a Auburn defense and it is a refreshing site to see.

48 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@bigbird

Explain what you mean by run fits. Familiar with the term, but unfamiliar with its exact meaning. 

In simplest terms, a run fit is where your defender should be to stop/defend a running play.

When talking about run fits, there are 4 different terms/responsibilities. Those are spill, force, alley, and edge players. In the most generic of formations, typically, your DL and ILB are spill players, your OLB are your force, safeties are your alleys, and corners are your edge.  What does that mean? Spill players are responsible certain fits(gaps A-C) depending on their alignment. By taking care of those fits, the playside DL will in essence spill the RB down the LoS while the back side DL will have backside pursuit. The OLB is your force player. His responsibilities are to force the RB back towards the inside.  Most of the time they fill the D gap. The playside safety will play downhill and fill the alley which is the space between the OLB and the corner. The safety is there in case the RB continues to bounce it towards the outside. The corner's responsibility is to have outside contain which is called setting the edge. He should never get out leveraged.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

lol NO. check my post history if you think I am that sunshine pumper. I thought rice was on 247 though.

He's on both as are many hard core sub. posters.

• WarTiger changed the title to Roberts graded as the best SEC S
19 hours ago, DAG said:

A+ trash talker . Glad he is backing it up . 

He was cracking me up last week with the incomplete pass signal on plays he didn't really make.

Swagger is good if able to be backed up. Roberts has has a solid career. We need secondary to cover well against UGH, so safeties can be freed up somewhat to come in and focus on shutting down their run game. Make Fromm beat us. 

On 11/7/2017 at 3:04 PM, bigbird said:

He does a great job with his run fits.  

Can’t lie, I love his run fits and screen/swing play recognition etc. His pass coverage and post play celebrations, I do not like. I love swagger but he is a little over the top sometimes

7 hours ago, The Freak said:

He was cracking me up last week with the incomplete pass signal on plays he didn't really make.

This is what gets me.

who was the best trash talker to ever put on an auburn uniform? still remember the terry bowden football practices where the crowds could get up almost within touching distance and hearing the receivers and secondary jawing back and forth. man i had so much fun that day.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

who was the best trash talker to ever put on an auburn uniform? still remember the terry bowden football practices where the crowds could get up almost within touching distance and hearing the receivers and secondary jawing back and forth. man i had so much fun that day.

The Irons bros were pretty good. I seem to remember reading that Dontarrious Thomas wouldn't ever shutup on the field lol

On 11/7/2017 at 4:07 PM, bigbird said:

In simplest terms, a run fit is where your defender should be to stop/defend a running play.

When talking about run fits, there are 4 different terms/responsibilities. Those are spill, force, alley, and edge players. In the most generic of formations, typically, your DL and ILB are spill players, your OLB are your force, safeties are your alleys, and corners are your edge.  What does that mean? Spill players are responsible certain fits(gaps A-C) depending on their alignment. By taking care of those fits, the playside DL will in essence spill the RB down the LoS while the back side DL will have backside pursuit. The OLB is your force player. His responsibilities are to force the RB back towards the inside.  Most of the time they fill the D gap. The playside safety will play downhill and fill the alley which is the space between the OLB and the corner. The safety is there in case the RB continues to bounce it towards the outside. The corner's responsibility is to have outside contain which is called setting the edge. He should never get out leveraged.

Great insight, thanks. 

Archived